WIFI

Old Mar 5th 2017, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Milliem01268 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WIFI

Hi,
Please can I have your help regarding WIFI, I want it in my apartment but I'll only be there 5 weeks of the year. I know you can get portable units that you rent but you have to pick up and drop off each time. Does anyone know what the cheapest monthly internet costs are?
Old Mar 5th 2017, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WIFI

When I first come to live in Spain I bought a mobile internet unit which I could top up each month (if I required it) by buying a 1, 2, or up to 10 gb card. It was a little bit on the expensive side but it did the job perfectly.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Milliem01268
Hi,
Please can I have your help regarding WIFI, I want it in my apartment but I'll only be there 5 weeks of the year. I know you can get portable units that you rent but you have to pick up and drop off each time. Does anyone know what the cheapest monthly internet costs are?
Depends what usage you want. If you just want to check emails and some light web browsing then a 3G solution should be enough
Buy a unlocked mobile wifi (MiFi) router (40€ - 60€) - get one that can handle 4G as well as 3G so you can upgrade later. You can buy a data SIM in loads of places - apart from phone shops e.g. Carrefour etc. The usual cost is around €10 and you get 10 hours connection. You can top up the card PAYG for about 1€ per hour.
If you want higher usage then you probably need a 4G or Wimax solution. At the moment most 4G is contract. I haven't found any PAYG 4G but someone else may be able to advise.
If you want to have Wimax then you'll need to research whats available where you are. Where we are (Huelva province) we can get Wimax for a monthly charge when we are using it and a much lower monthly maintenance charge when we're not.

Last edited by MikeJ; Mar 5th 2017 at 2:38 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

The cheapest option is to 'tether' your laptop or tablet you your phone and make use of the data subscription via the phone. You can do this on iPhone, Android or Windows phone.

With prices for roaming set to drop anyway this year it's probably the cheapest option.

Alternatively you can invest in a miniature LTE modem for about €100,- max. but it will require its own data SIM card.

Whether 3g or 4g service is available will depend on your provider and regional coverage.