WiFi

Old Jan 12th 2013, 3:22 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WiFi

I have a cheapy TP-LINK from Amazon.
Works brilliantly all over the house.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 6:44 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

This is the one i use..
Attached Thumbnails WiFi-60_12.jpg  
Old Jan 12th 2013, 8:01 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: WiFi

Originally Posted by tommy.irene
This is the one i use..
That's not a router, it's just a WiFi adaptor.

It just enables your PC to access a WiFi router
Old Jan 13th 2013, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Mine is just the bog standard Movistar router....it works just fine!
I can even use my laptop out on the terrace, which is just about as far away from the router as it's possible to get, and I don't have any problems even there.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

sujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of light

We also only have a bog standard Iberbanda router and no problems anywhere.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sujee
We also only have a bog standard Iberbanda router and no problems anywhere.
I've had several wireless routers over the past few years and to my shame, it's only in the past few months that I've come to realise that the wireless output of routers can differ quite significantly between models. I thought they were all just "wireless" and pretty much the same.
Reading online reviews I was surprised to find that wireless performance could vary so widely between models and that on some, it is possible to adjust the wireless output as well as other settings routers towards the lower end of the market don't permit.
I'm not thinking of changing mine just at the moment but when I do, I'll certainly do a lot more research than I have done before as I do when choosing other products.
If therefore, wireless range is an important factor in a router I would advise researching the ones which provide higher performance in this area.
Apologies if I'm just stating the obvious!
Old Jan 13th 2013, 3:37 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they can vary and the latest n spec ones are supposed to give better range but I can't say I noticed much difference when I upgraded.

The simplest option is to spend €25 on a range extender combined with a cheap router.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Domino
try a search for Wifi Antena in Amazon.es and be surprised
Those sort of ads and claims make me laugh.

One of the underlying rules of thumb for antennas is that the more you have the more you get - bigger dish gives you a stronger satellite signal for instance - and most of the products which claim x dB gain are simply not physically big enough to produce that.

Worse, at the sort of frequencies WiFi works at the choice of coaxial cable is crucial and generally the type commonly used by these antennas is rubbish and will probably be introducing losses in excess of the gain claimed for the antenna proper leaving you with a net overall loss !

Some user will claim near miraculous results from these devices but I would be willing to bet that in the majority of case any improvement have been as a result of the external antenna being in a different place and if the actual router itself had been located there similar improvements would have ensued.

FWIW, and to illustrate the gross inefficiency of consumer WiFi products, given the correct antennas and cable it's entirely feasible to establish a 100% reliable high speed WiFi link over several kM, and that with as little as 50mW of transmit power, half that of the typical consumer WiFi router.

Over a sea path you could work to the horizon which, given an antenna height of 5m at each end, equates to a shade over 11kM.