WiFi

Old Jan 10th 2013, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

17polarbear is a jewel in the rough17polarbear is a jewel in the rough17polarbear is a jewel in the rough17polarbear is a jewel in the rough
Question WiFi

Hi all, and may I wish everyone a happy new year!!!

I'm looking for some techy advice, I have a TP-LINK WiFi router, it works fine as long ax there is direct line of sight, heaven forbid a door gets in the way, as for a wall... Well basically anything at all getting in the way drops the signal to poor, often drops it altogether.

So, any advice on a WiFi router of choice that will give a signal around my villa?
Old Jan 10th 2013, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: WiFi

Originally Posted by 17polarbear
Hi all, and may I wish everyone a happy new year!!!

I'm looking for some techy advice, I have a TP-LINK WiFi router, it works fine as long ax there is direct line of sight, heaven forbid a door gets in the way, as for a wall... Well basically anything at all getting in the way drops the signal to poor, often drops it altogether.

So, any advice on a WiFi router of choice that will give a signal around my villa?
We have a Belkin and that distributes the signal over 400sq m and over 4 floors two of which are very high quality heavily reinforced concrete also my nearest neighbour direct line of sight across the 8th fairway about 250 m can see it on his COMPUTOR and if I gave him the key he could use it.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

17polarbear is a jewel in the rough17polarbear is a jewel in the rough17polarbear is a jewel in the rough17polarbear is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: WiFi

Originally Posted by John & Kath
We have a Belkin and that distributes the signal over 400sq m and over 4 floors two of which are very high quality heavily reinforced concrete also my nearest neighbour direct line of sight across the 8th fairway about 250 m can see it on his COMPUTOR and if I gave him the key he could use it.
Thanks for that info, could you let me know the model number of the Belkin router that you use? also, do you use a repeater or is it purely the Belkin that emits the strong signal?
Old Jan 10th 2013, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Belkin N wireless Modem Router

Model F5D8656-4 v1

No repeater

If you get this it works after being dropped 3 feet!
Old Jan 10th 2013, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Ok thanks for that, although I doubt I'll be doing the drop test!
Old Jan 10th 2013, 4:17 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Buy a decent repeater.

http://www.amazon.es/Tp-TL-WA830RE-E...ref=pd_sim_e_6

Works really well and easy to set up.

There is a cheaper 150mb/s version if you don't have wireless n.

http://www.amazon.es/Tp-Link-TL-WA73...7838187&sr=8-2
Old Jan 11th 2013, 7:52 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

you can also get a better aerial than the stick thingy that comes with it, this can be fitted with a long lead and mounted to give the best reception

there are also those with an amplifier in to increase the range.
But proceed with caution or you may become access for all of those across the fairway and walking by or in the local bar.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Kenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Buy a decent repeater.

http://www.amazon.es/Tp-TL-WA830RE-E...ref=pd_sim_e_6

Works really well and easy to set up.
I'd second that. Our house seems to have lead walls. The wireless signal from the broadband router in the livingroom only gets as far as the bedroom above it. The house is long and the rooms at the back can't pick up the WiFi. So we bought the repeater Fred recommends and it does the trick. We positioned it at the end of the kitchen and the signal now permeates to the back bedrooms.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 9:04 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

..I have a T LINK Router high up on the wall and have no complaints..
Old Jan 11th 2013, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Domino
you can also get a better aerial than the stick thingy that comes with it, this can be fitted with a long lead and mounted to give the best reception

But proceed with caution or you may become access for all of those across the fairway and walking by or in the local bar.
Are they available in Spain? I've yet to see a Maplin type electronics store anywhere in Spain so far.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Domino

it is locked and only I have the key. It is wep+ encrypted
Old Jan 11th 2013, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

WEP protection isn't any use. Your password can be unlocked in minutes with about 4 lines of code. It's what I've done for years.

Needs to be WPA at a minimum.

Most likely others are using your internet right now.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by avocados
WEP protection isn't any use. Your password can be unlocked in minutes with about 4 lines of code. It's what I've done for years.

Needs to be WPA at a minimum.

Most likely others are using your internet right now.
no when I said wep+ I was referring to the latest available but could not recall the acronym but it is at least 2 on from wep.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 7:13 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
it is locked and only I have the key. It is wep+ encrypted
oh dear, people spend all their days trying to decode such things, the only sure way is to turn your system off when not using it, pull the plug out from the internet connection.

technology was designed to be broken. we broke enigma didnt we ??
Old Jan 11th 2013, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by 17polarbear
Are they available in Spain? I've yet to see a Maplin type electronics store anywhere in Spain so far.
try a search for Wifi Antena in Amazon.es and be surprised

rgds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.