Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Wi-fi and Priinet

Wi-fi and Priinet

Old Aug 2nd 2021, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Rita_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wi-fi and Priinet

Hi, we have an apartment in El Espigon in Isla Canela and we have used Priinet for many years. Our current deal allows us reduce the cost when we are not using the apartment subject to a minimum usage clause. Priinet have informed me that they now have fibre optic WiFi available for our apartment block at a rate of €25 per month for 100mb to €30 for 300mb. It is a one year contract with no option to reduce the cost during the first year and they don’t know what offers will exist at the end of the first year. The current WiFi we have is adequate but not great and we are tempted with upgrading but I was hoping for some advice.. has anyone used the Priinet fibre optic and how have they found it. My kids are in their late teens early twenties so WiFi is like oxygen!
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Ex Adeladie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wi-fi and Priinet

The fibre internet is not only faster but more stable too, there is no comparison. As you pointed out, there's no option to turn it off during off-peak, but the improvement is significant, Facetime/Netflix/zoom/IPTV etc all work a treat. If you rent your apartment out, your agent may start insisting on the upgrade too (as we are). The 200mbps 25.90€ is the package we recommend.
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 3:57 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ex Adeladie
The fibre internet is not only faster but more stable too, there is no comparison. As you pointed out, there's no option to turn it off during off-peak, but the improvement is significant, Facetime/Netflix/zoom/IPTV etc all work a treat. If you rent your apartment out, your agent may start insisting on the upgrade too (as we are). The 200mbps 25.90€ is the package we recommend.
I have friends on Priinet fibre 200mb solution. The pricing is great and about the same as the current non fibre option.

They still get some buffering sometime too.

I have the 'no-use' package, so only pay 7eur for the full month when away. This proved to be great (for me) during 16 months lockdown saving me the 18eur difference x16 months = 288. Of course we save each year when away.

This is a huge benefit for us as we are not permanent residents, if we lived there permanently, fibre is a no-brainer. Even though we are there several months a year, fibre is off our list.

We also have few problems these days and were pleasantly surprised when it all worked fine even after 16 months no-use with the external antenna affected by the elements all of the time. It could be that we are lucky, as I know some people are having problems, I'm guessing its due to their location, antenna line of sight etc

Im not bothered about internet speeds if one criteria is met. Streaming 2 x HD video streams simultaneously, without buffering. An essential corollary of this is that it has to be unlimited data as video is so data-hungry.

Priinets antenna system is meeting that (for us) and problems are quickly fixed. Any other usage, surfing, mail, banking etc use only a fraction of this bandwidth, so we are fully covered for our usage. 2 adults that do 'old-person stuff' i.e no video games etc etc that the 'young-uns' seem to want.

When friends visit we dont watch video as we are out and about. I can understand that Priinet gets maxed out if several people are wanting to use high bandwidth apps at the same time.

I'm sure Priinet will want to phase out the old system, which for us would be a great shame, if it means they withdraw the no-use benefit. As the offer is perfect for us. Currently this is not offered on fibre.

I hope they take this forward into their later fibre packages, as it gives them an advantage in attracting customers. If not many, like us, will shop around. In fact opposite Priinets office in Pl Leon Ortega on the other side of the road is an office which offers many fibre packages so seems a sort of consolidator of fibre and mobile offerings - from several different companies.

So (for our needs) Priinet offers the best deal, earlier problems are (for us) sorted, and we will hang on as long as possible to the current system, its a no-brainer for us !

Jon

PS I would be happy to consider eventually, to pay less for say a 50mb speed. Perhaps 15eur for unlimited.... ?

PPS there was discussions previously about having a system for each block, shared between apartments. I would not accept this, as I think there would be privacy risks, especially as renters have less respect for our environment, and there could be problems especially as many fill up their rental with kids... = Lots of bandwidth needs!

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Aug 3rd 2021 at 4:14 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 9:55 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Heres a reply I got from Priinet. They didn't answer my question about the no-use discounted price.

In your Residential Area,we have already available the optic fiber.
The conditions are the next:
The installation is free with 12 months of permamence.
We have three different rates depending on the speed:
100Mb per 24'20€
200Mb per 25'90€
300Mb per 29'90€
If you are interested in making the change, please, contact with us to concrete an appointment.

Jon
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you both for the useful advice. We are right beside the sea and phone and WiFi can be wobbly. We too are only holiday visitors but we are trying for weekend breaks now the kids are a bit older so always available WiFi is attractive! We will take the advice of the 200 mb at 25.90 and we’ll update the forum on how we find it..We are planning to come out in early September for 10 days, Covid and flights permitting! Thanks again. Rita
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

P.s .. Priinet have an introductory Summer offer in Isla Canela of the first 3 months at €1 for fibre optic so worth asking for if you are elsewhere!