Why Spain?

Old Mar 1st 2007, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Spain?

I considered the merits of both Spain and Portugal before choosing where to buy as there were areas of both countries where we had spent quite a bit of time on holiday and knew we liked.

What swung it in favour of Spain was primarily the language - Portugese is a far, far more difficult language to learn than Spanish, and I am not one of those people who is happy to move to another country and be speaking no more than 10 words of the language after 20 years! Also I think infrastructure in things such as public transport (which is important to me as I don't drive) are better in Spain, at least they are in the area I finally chose (Velez-Malaga in the Axarquia area). The area we liked in Portgual was Lagos on the Algarve but it is considerably wetter there in winter than in Andalucia, which was also something to think about. I didn't move from Northern England to sit looking out at rain all day (although of course it rains sometimes in Spain as well, it would be a desert if it didn't).
Old Mar 1st 2007, 1:17 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poollounger
If you are having to ask the question, then surely you should be making extended trips to both to see for yourself rather than relying on subjective impressions?...
What? You mean actually going over to these places rather than ordering a house over the internet in a country I've never been to??
Now why didn't I think of that?

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I considered the merits of both Spain and Portugal before choosing where to buy as there were areas of both countries where we had spent quite a bit of time on holiday and knew we liked.

What swung it in favour of Spain was primarily the language - Portugese is a far, far more difficult language to learn than Spanish, and I am not one of those people who is happy to move to another country and be speaking no more than 10 words of the language after 20 years! Also I think infrastructure in things such as public transport (which is important to me as I don't drive) are better in Spain, at least they are in the area I finally chose (Velez-Malaga in the Axarquia area). The area we liked in Portgual was Lagos on the Algarve but it is considerably wetter there in winter than in Andalucia, which was also something to think about. I didn't move from Northern England to sit looking out at rain all day (although of course it rains sometimes in Spain as well, it would be a desert if it didn't)...
Thanks for that Lynn. You're right about the language difficulties. But doesn't the rain in Spain....
Old Mar 1st 2007, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helenba
I have a party shop fancy dress balloons all party goods my husband is a dj and childrens entertainer.
Hi Helen,
You're not in Shepton Mallet, are you!?
It sounds spookily like I might have known of you and your husband in my "previous" life!

I remember talking to a man at the garage (whom I believe could have been your husband). He was saying that he wanted to move to Spain, and I said I was going to!
Been here a year now, and loving it!!

Wouldn't it be funny if a couple of Somerset bods ended up on here!?

All the best,
Sam.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 6:29 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cherie
The land-grab issues in Valencia are only 'a flash in the pan', so to speak, very much promoted by the media. If you wish straight-forwardness, and a standard of living compatible with your earnings, then by all means go for the outback in Portugal. You can also do the same, here in Spain. A handshake is all you will need to clinch the deal on a property inland in Spain.
WOW!!!!!!

Tell that to the Guy in Benissa whos home is now a roundabout. I admire you sticking up for Spain, but I have to say that buying a property on a handshake or ignoring the Valencia land grab is a disasterous road to take.

Having said that if you do your homework carefully, and buy wisely its a wonderful place to live.

There are property scams all over the world including the UK, so I should put it into context if I were you and just bring your brain with you when you come over here
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 3:56 pm
fed up with england

helenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nice

Originally Posted by brisca
Hi Helen,
You're not in Shepton Mallet, are you!?
It sounds spookily like I might have known of you and your husband in my "previous" life!

I remember talking to a man at the garage (whom I believe could have been your husband). He was saying that he wanted to move to Spain, and I said I was going to!
Been here a year now, and loving it!!

Wouldn't it be funny if a couple of Somerset bods ended up on here!?

All the best,
Sam.
hi there we are from leicester live in a village called countesthorpe you might know us you never know he brought a motor bike a few months ago from some one near shepton mallett
Old Mar 4th 2007, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helenba
hi there we are from leicester live in a village called countesthorpe you might know us you never know he brought a motor bike a few months ago from some one near shepton mallett
Thanks for clearing up that mystery, Helen.
You obviously have a twin in Shepton Mallet then!!

There is a couple there who run a party supplies shop, and the husband does exactly the same as yours - DJ and children's entertainer - it's uncanny!

No connection with the motorbike though!

Hope you'll be able to follow your dream and come out here soon
All the best, Sam.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

weemac is an unknown quantity at this point

See the thread "Spanish neighbours" Says it all!