Why Spain?

Old Feb 27th 2007, 2:05 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why Spain?

I'd be interested to hear why (those of you already there and those of you planning on relocating) you chose Spain over everywhere else?

My wife was put off Spain by the much reported land-grab issues in Valencia and as such, we're looking at your near neighbours Portugal - where, it has to be said, the property buying process seems quite straight forward and the standard of living (Algarve and CDS not included) seems similar.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 2:19 pm
Still young member

Rixxy will become famous soon enoughRixxy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Why Spain?

Originally Posted by derbyflan
I'd be interested to hear why (those of you already there and those of you planning on relocating) you chose Spain over everywhere else?

My wife was put off Spain by the much reported land-grab issues in Valencia and as such, we're looking at your near neighbours Portugal - where, it has to be said, the property buying process seems quite straight forward and the standard of living (Algarve and CDS not included) seems similar.
Hi there - I came to Spain 12 years ago - bit of a Pioneer and instead of Australia as it was nearer to family. I settled, with family and built a business etc. For me I was fed up with the UK and the weather - I never really felt settled.

After moving here I felt at hope - the only way to describe it and although there have been trials and tribulations, I would not move anywhere else. It is still cheap if you know where to go, and I live in Marbella.

All the horror stories you are reading have been around for ages, down here its very political and will be sorted finally. The weather, the health and the culture are excellent, its only a couple of hours to the UK and you can get everything you want here.

Having said that and Im an estate agent - I went to the estern Algarve wednesday and it blew my mind away. Much cheaper than CDS beautiful, unspoiled and a place I could retire to.

Im looking at buying there an off plan and am selling as well.

Hope that helps but until yu try living abroad you wont really know if you will settle or what it is that made us come here or kept us here.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 3:44 pm
fed up with england

helenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nice

ell what can i say my parents are in almeria huercal overa they love it weather great life is cheap fresh veg fruit bread fish and so cheap council tax 35.pounds for the year large cortio 9 hectars of land they would not think of living any wre else every one talks to you and pass the time of day they did look at other polases but could not beat spain .I have bought a house in almeria near sorbas can not wait to move if you do your home work and have all paper work correct then you should not have any problems . we have some freind who bought in bulgaria property cheap but when not there the house was stripped bare so be carefull. good luck
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:35 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Why Spain , well where do i start with this one !!

Firstly the Spain i am heading for is Majorca Spain , not the Main Spain areas. More expensive than main Spain .

Maybe as its only a couple of hours from UK quicker to see relatives from there than it is from where i am in the UK

Maybe as it is warm and has beeches with sand so fine you can feel it squiggle through your toes

Maybe as the vegetables and fruits are literaly fresh of the land and cost pennies

Maybe as fuel costs for running my Convertible luxury car will be very cheap , so while i scoot along the lovely tarmac roads it is cheap

Maybe as rates-tax on the propertys are so cheap

Maybe as i know i will easily integrate with the Spanish way of life afternoon siestas lounging in the shade by my swimming pool for 2 hours , and then awake shower and be able to stroll down to the marina do a bit of shopping evening time , before dining on a paella watching the sun go down over the blue shimmering sea.

Maybe as i can still get full satellite and watch all sky channels 24 hrs a day and BBC ITV etc etc.

Maybe as i can purchase a nice small cruising type boat have it moored in a harbour and use it 10 months of the year as against 3 weeks in UK as is the case

Maybe as i can have a nice meal and actually sit outside and enjoy a cigar whilst staying warm afterwards !, something which due to another UK Government law as of 1st july 2007 it will be illegal to smoke in ANY public place in England.

Maybe as i can purchase 20 cigarettes for 1.70p as against 5.30p back in expensive UK.

Maybe as i can grab a flight to and fro Uk from about as cheap as £ 60 return.

Maybe as i like the Spanish people i find them so friendly when you get away from the rowdy kiss me quick eggs and bacon areas .

Maybe as for the first 2 years you get full health treatment free, and after that good value insurances ensure the highest quality health care, yes it costs but when you consider that in my case i estimate i shall save some £ 1,500 a year in cigarette costs alone in Spain then £ 1,200 in health insurance doesnt bother me one diddly,

Maybe as people are in the majority happy and cheerful ,greet you with a smile and a "OLA " and a slower pace of life , which suits me as i am ready to slow down , done all the rushing and working for 30 years.

Maybe its the style the Spanish have with marble flooring and exotic plants shrubs, the way you can within a small radius find exotic secluded beaches or wind your way up breathtaking mountains,

Maybe its the way there Road planners design the roads and think of the motorists allowing parking outside the small shops , and havent yet caught the twin yellow lines bug which seems to have besotted England in my area.

Maybe its the ability to find space to be alone , instead of the concrete overcrowded jungle which England is becoming as its build build in my region.

Maybe its the fact that the police are very evident where i am planning to live and dont mess around so has good low crime rate, where as in England where i am they have areas which they are to scared to even go to ! so turn a blind eye.

Maybe its also the fact that being only a couple of hours away it still has some important home comforts ie; KFC Pizzahuts Mcdonalds and the such like.

Maybe its the fact of new shops and designs in them with style and flair and colours, Every town in England is getting so so boring , shopped out in England same shops , small shops wont exist all that will remain is the WH Smiths , Marks Spencer etc oh and millions of phone shops , once you shopped one town its mirrored in the next , thats assuming u can park anyway.

Maybe its just me but when over there always feel healthier ! fresh air and sunshine , the 2 ingredients that give us mental well being as well as factual medical increased health.

The reasons go on and on .

Last edited by Big Pete; Feb 27th 2007 at 8:37 pm. Reason: reworded
Old Feb 27th 2007, 11:11 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Pete,

I wish you'd take the time to write longer posts

Seriously though, I hear all you said and all those arguments could be put forward for Portugal too.

Decisions, decisions...

I suppose I should be grateful for being fortunate enough to be in a position to make one.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 12:51 am
Account Closed

cherie is an unknown quantity at this point

The land-grab issues in Valencia are only 'a flash in the pan', so to speak, very much promoted by the media. If you wish straight-forwardness, and a standard of living compatible with your earnings, then by all means go for the outback in Portugal. You can also do the same, here in Spain. A handshake is all you will need to clinch the deal on a property inland in Spain.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 6:11 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cherie
The land-grab issues in Valencia are only 'a flash in the pan', so to speak, very much promoted by the media. If you wish straight-forwardness, and a standard of living compatible with your earnings, then by all means go for the outback in Portugal. You can also do the same, here in Spain. A handshake is all you will need to clinch the deal on a property inland in Spain.
How long has this flash in the pan in Valencia been going on for ?

A handshake is all you need to lose your money, what about all the legal paperwork etc ?

Totally bad advice ! Always get an independent lawyer and get all the required paperwork and water, and electric connections in your name before you even think about handing over monies.
There are lots of threads on here about the downside of not doing this.

Info on the landgrab HERE possibly from a slightly biased source, but then it will be hard finding a medium.

Last edited by jdr; Feb 28th 2007 at 6:23 am.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:52 am
pjj
sun lover

pjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud of

ive been to some great holiday destinations but i just love spain for these reasons the weather the food the people the scenery there quality of life , when i brought my place we didnt really have any problems the buying process was very straight forward and we had a good lawyer i never looked back we are going to be moving out there in about 3 months cant wait yepee !
Old Feb 28th 2007, 12:28 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Lived and worked in the UK all my life, but was getting near to retirement, but having to continue working full time just to keep my head above water, Council Tax increasing every year same with all other taxes, knew I would have to move house as couldn't afford to live in the one I was in once retired, fed up with the weather and suffereing with hay fever for the 'summer' months, my wife persuaded me, not that it took that much persuasion, that I COULD afford to retire and live on my pension. We started to look for a house in the UK, but really couldn't find anything we really wanted, came out to Spain on a holiday, found a house, retired and now living here and loving it.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 12:36 pm
fed up with england

helenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nice

the last thread says it all my parents have just retired and general living costs in england going up all the time coucil tax costs alone were getting out of hand al though my mother had a private pension as well they still had to be very carefull. so of to spain they went and live life to the full dont have to worry any more eat out when they want to they have a great life and would not come back to england know me and my husband will follow when are finances are in order .
Old Feb 28th 2007, 2:13 pm
ex-squaddie

What do you do for a job Helen?
Old Feb 28th 2007, 2:24 pm
fed up with england

I have a party shop fancy dress balloons all party goods my husband is a dj and childrens entertainer.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 4:01 pm
Banned

Douglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr

A handshake is all you need to lose your money, what about all the legal paperwork etc ?

Totally bad advice ! Always get an independent lawyer and get all the required paperwork and water, and electric connections in your name before you even think about handing over monies.

Info on the landgrab HERE possibly from a slightly biased source, but then it will be hard finding a medium.
Sorry, but I thought the poster said he was going to Portugal,is it the same situation there.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 5:21 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:Originally Posted by cherie

Originally Posted by jdr

Eeerm the post you quoted was in answer to cheries post.
The OP said his wife had been put off Spain by some of the issues in it.
Maybe if the issues are rectified their thoughts may change, hence his original post.

Last edited by jdr; Feb 28th 2007 at 5:24 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 8:36 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

A handshake may seal a deal inland, but I wouldn't hand over a penny until the lawyer had said it was ok to do so, and it had been noted on the preliminary contract, subject to any concerns being verified. These could include wells, electricity, ability to get a mortgage.
I have friends living in Spain who were recently expressing their preference for Portugal. They found them friendlier, though more formal. I have no experience of Portugal never having been there, but from my experience of Portugese cuisine in London, I prefer Spanish food.
We chose Spain because we love the culture, the landscape, the food, and hve many Spanish friends. both in Britain and in Spain.
If you are having to ask the question, then surely you should be making extended trips to both to see for yourself rather than relying on subjective impressions? Do remember that things change.. so that idyllic location may have a nice house built spoiling the view..Spanish regs are not so closley observed, and issuing a denuncia may land you with neighbours who are antagonistic. One assumes that the British cost of livng will alway stay ahead of Spain, but again, who knows..this may catch up soon. Prices have certainly gone up in recent years, and I know my Spanish friends in London complain about how everything now costs a lot more in Spain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.