Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why is it so difficult to spend money in Mallorca?

Why is it so difficult to spend money in Mallorca?

Old Jul 21st 2014, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

SportyPorty will become famous soon enoughSportyPorty will become famous soon enough
Default Why is it so difficult to spend money in Mallorca?

OK, it was intended to be an 'attention grabbing' headline. I'm sure it's not difficult at all!

We signed for our new apartment on Thursday morning. Went to the notary's office in Palma Nova and had an interesting couple of hours, talking though the legal stuff, receiving all of our keys and handover package. Quite exciting and enjoyable.

Then, we had two and a half days to buy some furniture, white goods, electricals, accessories etc... to furnish our new apartment.

What I considered would be the most enjoyable part of the trip, turned into a nightmare. We spent quite a bit of time searching the usual suspects for the goods we wanted. I had done a lot of research on-line, and also visited in June on a reconnaissance visit.

Then came the fun bit, buying it all, or so we thought. Beds, sofas, washing machines, micros, TV's, fridges, rattan furniture, tables and chairs. Can you believe, every single one of our 'first-choice' items was out of stock. Not one of them was available to buy. We then spent a second day sourcing our second-choice's. Pah, no chance. We had to settle for a compromise on almost everything we bought.

Why do supermarkets, warehouses etc, display their shelves with twenty items, but only have in stock, two or three of them. And we are yet to find a refrigerator near Palma. Fridge/freezers, yes....freezers, yes....Fridges on their own, no chance. You 'must' have a freezer box at the top.

Anyhow, we're pretty much sorted now. But what a stressful couple of days!!!
Old Jul 21st 2014, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is it so difficult to spend money in Mallorca?

Could it be that Mallorca is an island and that there is no room to keep stock and that everything ordered has to come from the mainland warehouse?
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 7:05 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SportyPorty
OK, it was intended to be an 'attention grabbing' headline. I'm sure it's not difficult at all!

We signed for our new apartment on Thursday morning. Went to the notary's office in Palma Nova and had an interesting couple of hours, talking though the legal stuff, receiving all of our keys and handover package. Quite exciting and enjoyable.

Then, we had two and a half days to buy some furniture, white goods, electricals, accessories etc... to furnish our new apartment.

What I considered would be the most enjoyable part of the trip, turned into a nightmare. We spent quite a bit of time searching the usual suspects for the goods we wanted. I had done a lot of research on-line, and also visited in June on a reconnaissance visit.

Then came the fun bit, buying it all, or so we thought. Beds, sofas, washing machines, micros, TV's, fridges, rattan furniture, tables and chairs. Can you believe, every single one of our 'first-choice' items was out of stock. Not one of them was available to buy. We then spent a second day sourcing our second-choice's. Pah, no chance. We had to settle for a compromise on almost everything we bought.

Why do supermarkets, warehouses etc, display their shelves with twenty items, but only have in stock, two or three of them. And we are yet to find a refrigerator near Palma. Fridge/freezers, yes....freezers, yes....Fridges on their own, no chance. You 'must' have a freezer box at the top.

Anyhow, we're pretty much sorted now. But what a stressful couple of days!!!
Depends on where you shop. The shops in the Poligonos tend to have a lot of offers but don't stock what they offer. Carrefour usually has everything in stock. Ikea doesn't have a great selection, but usually has stock. Leroy Merlin drives me crazy because they have some things in one store, but not the other. I often joke that a trip to Leroy Merlin always means you have to visit BOTH stores. Brico Depot and Bauhaus always have plenty in stock. AlCampo usually has a large selection of everything at decent prices. Did you check AlCampo or Carrefour for a fridge?

Anyway, glad you got it sorted, and can settle in. Welcome.

Erm, you really didn't take an apartment in Palmanova did you?
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

SportyPorty will become famous soon enoughSportyPorty will become famous soon enough

Yeah, as you say, Bauhaus were one of the better shops. Carrefour didn't have either of the fridge/freezers we wanted, after also not having the standalone fridge on their website. We checked everywhere for a fridge. Seems strange that nowhere stocks, or could get, a simple under-worktop fridge WITHOUT a freezer box.

Anyhow, yes, thank you amideislas, we are pretty much sorted now, despite having to make lots of compromises. Heading back out for 3 weeks on 3rd Aug, plenty of work to be done, but in a good way!

Yes Jonboy, that could be a very plausible explanation Shame though.

No, only the office of Notary was in Palmanova, next to Aldi. But having holidayed there many times, it seems a reasonable place, just depends which part you choose!!

Last edited by SportyPorty; Jul 23rd 2014 at 2:53 pm. Reason: Addition...
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SportyPorty
Yeah, as you say, Bauhaus were one of the better shops. Carrefour didn't have either of the fridge/freezers we wanted, after also not having the standalone fridge on their website. We checked everywhere for a fridge. Seems strange that nowhere stocks, or could get, a simple under-worktop fridge WITHOUT a freezer box.

Anyhow, yes, thank you amideislas, we are pretty much sorted now, despite having to make lots of compromises. Heading back out for 3 weeks on 3rd Aug, plenty of work to be done, but in a good way!

Yes Jonboy, that could be a very plausible explanation Shame though.

No, only the office of Notary was in Palmanova, next to Aldi. But having holidayed there many times, it seems a reasonable place, just depends which part you choose!!
Do they not have an EL Corte Ingles in Mallorca? Then tend to have most models at reasonable prices nowadays
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 2:56 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Do they not have an EL Corte Ingles in Mallorca? Then tend to have most models at reasonable prices nowadays
Yes, 3 of them. And I agree it's a good recommendation.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Quite possibly cricketman, when I say 'nowhere', I mean of course 'nowhere I looked'. We didn't visit any of the Corte Ingles stores, as we thought they were more for smaller goods. Perhaps that was a mistake.