Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What are the best 3g/4G data cards?

What are the best 3g/4G data cards?

Old Feb 23rd 2014, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

traxtrax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What are the best 3g/4G data cards?

Hi there, new to the forum

I'm aiming to spend most of this year on my boat in Spain (mainly Ibiza) and was wondering if you can help with an internet question.

I presume you can buy mobile phone data sim cards in Spain like the UK, potentially with unlimited internet access for a monthly fee

Does anyone know which are the best deals available and is it like the UK, any phone shop will sell you a card?

Thanks
Old Feb 24th 2014, 5:27 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are the best 3g/4G data cards?

Yes same as UK you can buy a sim card at any phone shop. You need passport for ID though.

We use Vodafone because its easy and they have good coverage. They have payg with voice & data for as little as €10/mo incl. VAT.

There are plenty of providers offering reasonable payg plans, but coverage seemsbto vary a lot.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traxtrax

I'm aiming to spend most of this year on my boat in Spain (mainly Ibiza) and was wondering if you can help with an internet question.

I presume you can buy mobile phone data sim cards in Spain like the UK, potentially with unlimited internet access for a monthly fee

Does anyone know which are the best deals available and is it like the UK, any phone shop will sell you a card?

Thanks
I'm not sure about a monthly fee unless you sign up for a 12-18 month contract. You can get PAYG sim cards (for 3G not sure about 4G yet but someone else will be along soon), typical cost is 10Euros with 10Euros credit. 'Unlimited' internet - if you can get it - will cost a fortune (well to me anyway, these things are relative - you may be very rich ) as most providers have quite tight limits on speed and data quantity and also have a 'fair use' policy which enables them to throttle your connection at peak times.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 7:21 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
I'm not sure about a monthly fee unless you sign up for a 12-18 month contract. You can get PAYG sim cards (for 3G not sure about 4G yet but someone else will be along soon), typical cost is 10Euros with 10Euros credit. 'Unlimited' internet - if you can get it - will cost a fortune (well to me anyway, these things are relative - you may be very rich ) as most providers have quite tight limits on speed and data quantity and also have a 'fair use' policy which enables them to throttle your connection at peak times.
I wouldn't depend on any mobile provider for your entire internet services anyway, as there are too many restrictions and limits at rather extortionate prices (especially in Spain).

But considering we have internet at home, so we have pretty low mobile internet usage, we've consistently found PayG to be significantly cheaper than a contract - which would seem especially appropriate if your usage is temporary, as it presumably would be on a boat. Contracts (especially in Spain) are very difficult to get out of.

And being on a boat, you have few choices other than a VSAT system, which can be very pricey. Nonetheless, VSAT does provide you internet even when at sea.

Last edited by amideislas; Feb 24th 2014 at 7:24 am.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 7:33 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 24th 2014, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What are the best 3g/4G data cards?

Originally Posted by amideislas
I wouldn't depend on any mobile provider for your entire internet services anyway, as there are too many restrictions and limits at rather extortionate prices (especially in Spain).

But considering we have internet at home, so we have pretty low mobile internet usage, we've consistently found PayG to be significantly cheaper than a contract - which would seem especially appropriate if your usage is temporary, as it presumably would be on a boat. Contracts (especially in Spain) are very difficult to get out of.

And being on a boat, you have few choices other than a VSAT system, which can be very pricey. Nonetheless, VSAT does provide you internet even when at sea.
I would wait until you are at the Marina of your choice then check out wifi availability around your boat. Here in Ayamonte there is an internet Cafe opposite the entrance to the Marina which provides a wifi service for the boats of course there would be a fee but they will expect people to arrive and depart all the time so will gear up for daily or weekly charging. It is probably similar at other Marinas around the coast.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

traxtrax is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your help guys
I'm sure there is wifi around the Marina and I have a high gain aerial so should be fine, but guess I will look to pick up some pay as you data cards, because of my work I hate being out of internet contact
Old Feb 24th 2014, 12:33 pm
Banned

Thanks for your help guys
I'm sure there is wifi around the Marina and I have a high gain aerial so should be fine, but guess I will look to pick up some pay as you data cards, because of my work I hate being out of internet contact
Go to a vodafone shop and ask for a SIM card with a "smart" plan - Smart-8, Smart-10, Smart-12 and Smart-16. They will likely have brochures at the desk so you can see the differences. Or just google it.

Vodafone won't necessarily have the very cheapest plans, but their coverage is quite good in the Balearics.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

SportyPorty will become famous soon enoughSportyPorty will become famous soon enough

I've just spotted on the Vodafone website

This is the cheapest DATA ONLY sim card I've seen.

Telefonia movil, telefono fijo y conexion a internet | Vodafone Particulares
Select 'Tienda'
Under (do not click on) Tarifas Móvil, Select 'Turistas'
Select 'Data SIM card and WiFi Modem'
Price for 15gb is €15.

I guess only 3G though.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Also check out Másmóvil. They have several PAYG options.

- Eric S.