Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why keep a dog.........

Why keep a dog.........

Old Sep 28th 2012, 8:46 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why keep a dog.........

.......and bark yourself ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...udy-finds.html

Let er indoors get on with it while you pop down the boozer or take in the footy and apparently she's more likely to stay around and fulfill your requirements.

This thread is aimed mainly at the Guys by the way, as we can hardly expect an unbiased opinion from the Ladies now, can we ?
Old Sep 28th 2012, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why keep a dog.........

It would appear that if I had helped around the house a bit more I wouldn't be celebrating 42 years of living hell this week
Old Sep 28th 2012, 11:02 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
It would appear that if I had helped around the house a bit more I wouldn't be celebrating 42 years of living hell this week
Yeah Right!! I've met your missus remember!
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Q: How long does it take a Spanish man to clean the bathroom?
A: Not known (insufficient data)

This makes sense:
Dr Frank Furedi, Sociology professor at the University of Canterbury, said the study made sense as chore sharing took place more among couples from middle class professional backgrounds, where divorce rates are known to be high. “These people are extremely sensitive to making sure everything is formal, laid out and contractual. That does make for a fairly fraught relationship,” he told the Daily Telegraph.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 7:42 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to make sense of it, but the inbred, backward people of inland Spain surely need help in their lives. It's not funny, they can't read or write, shuffle around to feed their chickens, and sleep with goats.

Real Spain, that's what it is.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 8:43 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
It's hard to make sense of it, but the inbred, backward people of inland Spain surely need help in their lives. It's not funny, they can't read or write, shuffle around to feed their chickens, and sleep with goats.

I can hardly type for laughing - I love it when you've had the odd brandy.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 9:35 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

Spare your sympathy for those who need it most.

The country bumpkins may not be well off but they are generally quite content with their way of life.
They may not be whizz kids but they know how to get by in tough times and how to be at least partly self sufficient.

Their houses maybe basic, but they are probably their own and don't have huge outstanding mortgages or are waiting for the banks to kick them out on the streets amongst the soulless concrete jungle of crumbling edificios where the majority of folk live couped up like battery chickens.
Instead they have miles of lovely open campo around them and feel as free as the birds.

They dont lose sleep wondering where their next iPhone or plasma tv is coming from nor do they normally get deep in debt for the same expensive toys that their city counterparts consider essential, nor do they need the latest version of some flash motor to impress their neighbours.

Hell I could write a book on the subject, but given the choice between being as free as a bird out in the country or little more than a couped up battery hen in hock to the thieving bankers, .......I'd say it's a no brainer.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 7:02 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

The country bumpkins may not be well off but they are generally quite content with their way of life.
They may not be whizz kids but they know how to get by in tough times and how to be at least partly self sufficient.

Their houses maybe basic, but they are probably their own and don't have huge outstanding mortgages or are waiting for the banks to kick them out on the streets amongst the soulless concrete jungle of crumbling edificios where the majority of folk live couped up like battery chickens.
Instead they have miles of lovely open campo around them and feel as free as the birds.

They dont lose sleep wondering where their next iPhone or plasma tv is coming from nor do they normally get deep in debt for the same expensive toys that their city counterparts consider essential, nor do they need the latest version of some flash motor to impress their neighbours.

Hell I could write a book on the subject, but given the choice between being as free as a bird out in the country or little more than a couped up battery hen in hock to the thieving bankers, .......I'd say it's a no brainer.
I love to read of your defence of village people, someone needs to speak up for them as most are unable to put pen to paper.

I got to know a few when I lived in rural north Devon. The countryside was truly beautiful and a nearby town, right by the sea, had the distinction of being the most inbred place in the whole of the UK.

I visited a few times and got frightened. When I went into a newsagents to ask for the Telegraph I got a blank look, they'd never heard of it. The local pub was a nightmare, all the customers looked the same and were dribbling over their pints of cider, the rough sort.

There was no toilet paper in the gents, and my partner confirmed that it was the same in the ladies. There was a menu, but it only had one item on it, pastie and chips. We settled for a packet of crisps.

Salt of the earth, of course they are.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Luth is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh Yes!!!!!!
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 9:32 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by HBG
I love to read of your defence of village people, someone needs to speak up for them as most are unable to put pen to paper.

I got to know a few when I lived in rural north Devon. The countryside was truly beautiful and a nearby town, right by the sea, had the distinction of being the most inbred place in the whole of the UK.

I visited a few times and got frightened. When I went into a newsagents to ask for the Telegraph I got a blank look, they'd never heard of it. The local pub was a nightmare, all the customers looked the same and were dribbling over their pints of cider, the rough sort.

There was no toilet paper in the gents, and my partner confirmed that it was the same in the ladies. There was a menu, but it only had one item on it, pastie and chips. We settled for a packet of crisps.

Salt of the earth, of course they are.
Yeh maybe, but they're mostly happy friendly honest souls, not waiting to mug you or rip you off the minute your back is turned.
They don't need a mega money security system and a pack of howling rotties in the back garden.
After all they've got nowt worth thieving, but what they do have they're mostly happy with.
Doubt if you'd see many of them battling with cops in the middle of Madrid either, .......no pitch forks in sight anyway.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

I hear what you're saying but that's rather a romantic and over-simplified view. We country bumpkins have our worries too - shortage of water, risk of fire or floods, rising prices of fuel and agricultural materials, falling prices for produce, etc.

One of the biggest problems is depopulation, there is nothing to keep young people here and so they leave for the cities.

The older people often have health problems and feel useless because they can't work any more; believe it or not there is a high incidence of depression in rural areas.

I'd still rather live in the campo though!
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 11:46 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
I hear what you're saying but that's rather a romantic and over-simplified view. We country bumpkins have our worries too - shortage of water, risk of fire or floods, rising prices of fuel and agricultural materials, falling prices for produce, etc.

One of the biggest problems is depopulation, there is nothing to keep young people here and so they leave for the cities.

The older people often have health problems and feel useless because they can't work any more; believe it or not there is a high incidence of depression in rural areas.

I'd still rather live in the campo though!
Have you ever read this true account by an ex UK rock star.
An extreme situation and not quite typical by todays standards, but fascinating and enjoyable nevertheless.

http://www.revish.com/reviews/0375709150/manolo/

That's an interesting notion about not opening the windows on a night or it could kill you.

I spent time in some remote areas of the Canaries where it was absolutely imperative to have the window shutters closed at nightfall
Nothing to do with keeping out the Mossies,but everything to do with keeping out the evil spirits that were floating in the air at nighttime.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Oct 3rd 2012 at 11:53 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Have you ever read this true account by an ex UK rock star.
An extreme situation and not quite typical by todays standards, but fascinating and enjoyable nevertheless.

http://www.revish.com/reviews/0375709150/manolo/

Yes, I've read and enjoyed Driving Over Lemons. I'm afraid he inspired a whole lot of people to come out and buy run down fincas in the Alpujarras but who lacked the imagination, perseverance and stamina to battle it out the way he did. And if he hadn't written three successful books, I suspect they would have run out of money by now!
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 5:13 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I must admit I enjoyed reading the book, a while ago now. I don't know if it inspired us, but we were going to view an isolated finca in the Valencian hinterland.

We started off from Denia and drove inland for at least an hour, getting stuck behind a tractor once and then a lorry overladen with hay. Finding the finca was hard, but we finally stopped on the side of a mountain road overlooking it in the valley below.

Everything was fine until I switched off the engine. There we were. in a desolate land of silence.

I know it's disgraceful, but we lasted no more than a few minutes before racing back to Denia and civilisation.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 5:28 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by HBG
I must admit I enjoyed reading the book, a while ago now. I don't know if it inspired us, but we were going to view an isolated finca in the Valencian hinterland.

We started off from Denia and drove inland for at least an hour, getting stuck behind a tractor once and then a lorry overladen with hay. Finding the finca was hard, but we finally stopped on the side of a mountain road overlooking it in the valley below.

Everything was fine until I switched off the engine. There we were. in a desolate land of silence.

I know it's disgraceful, but we lasted no more than a few minutes before racing back to Denia and civilisation.
Silence is a wonderful thing in today's rat race helter skelter world.
A chance to totally relax, meditate,get your thoughts and priorities in order and appreciate the natural wonder of all around you.

Never any shortage of noise in Spain wherever you may be if that's what you want. The Spanish specialise in it from noisy bars to fiestas and enough fireworks to leave you half deaf for weeks afterwards wether you live in a noisy city or out in the sticks amongst small villages.

At least out in the campo you have a choice.