Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Looking for things to do with a 2 1/2 yr old

Looking for things to do with a 2 1/2 yr old

Old Jul 29th 2012, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Looking for things to do with a 2 1/2 yr old

My grandaughter will be visiting at the end of Sept. Her mum does not drive in Spain so we will be car less. I am wondering what there is in and nearby to entertain her. I have seen signs for the zoo, is it any good ? and more importantly is it open through Sept.

Any suggestions would be welcome thank you.

Also are there any local suppliers of stair gates, not fixed type, extendable type thank you.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for things to do with a 2 1/2 yr old

The last and only time I have visited Ayamonte zoo was in December 2010.
It had the usual Spanish disrespect for animals.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

It's got to be the...
Tourist Train!
Main stop is near the Zoo, at the Parque Prudencio Navarro (next door to the Super Sol), with duck pond, aviary, etc. What more could a toddler ask for?

Carol (toddler at heart)
Old Jul 29th 2012, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
My grandaughter will be visiting at the end of Sept. Her mum does not drive in Spain so we will be car less. I am wondering what there is in and nearby to entertain her. I have seen signs for the zoo, is it any good ? and more importantly is it open through Sept.

Any suggestions would be welcome thank you.

Also are there any local suppliers of stair gates, not fixed type, extendable type thank you.
Hi, there are several shops in Ayamonte who sell baby supplies and there is also Carrefour, all of these stock stair gates. Probably Carrefour would be the cheapest.
I don't know where your family will be staying but the local bus goes down to the beach & I don't know any 2 1/2 yr old who wouldn't enjoy that. There are also numerous playgrounds dotted around. Regards Bryony
Old Jul 29th 2012, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Just thinking that the main fiesta Virgen de las Angustias is in early September, so hopefully most facilities should be open as per Summer schedule until the end of the month.

No transport? As Bryony says, the local bus is good to get you to from A to B. Fluvial transport (ferry) across to Vila Real de Santo Antonio. There is also a ferry operating from Punta del Moral to Isla Cristina, but I would check the timetable.

Bicycle? Contact LuzBikes (Jur) to see if there are any child carrier options.

Please note I do not have any connection with the above businesses.

Contact the tourist information office (959 320 737) for more information. Also the Biblioteca Municipal (959 321 871) for storytime sessions (There may not be any, but no harm in asking? No worries about the language, it's all in the tone of voice )

There is also the indoor municipal swimming pool Ocio Sur in Ayamonte.

And, of course, there's always...
ice cream!
Old Jul 29th 2012, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

P.S. re the Zoo, I think most adults find it awful but I have to say my grandchildren (6&7) who have been coming here for the last 6yrs always ask to go there.

P.P.S re Ice cream, there seem to be lots of new ice cream shops opening just lately and lets face it you can never have too many of those, (in the words of Ben & Jerry) peace, love and ice cream, Bryony
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

My family will be with me on the edge of the old town. I am no fan of zoos anywhere, but they may want to go. I would explain it may not be very animal friendly.

I saw the train and will check timetables if possible when I get back. Duck pond and avairy sounds good.

The ferry across to Portugal is an option but not if granny has to carry her anywhere ( need to check if they are bringing pushchair) she can walk fairly well but I think mum may buy a few bits and bobs if we go :-)

Storytime might be an idea thank you.

Icecream forgone conclusion I love it

Bicycles good idea will contact them to see if child carriers are available, my son may like that idea.

I have heard of the the urbano bus that goes round but did not know it went to the beach, the bus station seems to have no information desk ? where do I find the bus routes and timetables .... tourist office ?

Swimming she also likes.

Thank you for all the info including the stair gates. Very helpful indeed.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you are on the edge of La Villa just walk to the main road into Ayamonte and I know for a fact there is a bus stop outside La Plaza so I assume there must be several more on that road. I don't know how frequently they run but I'm sure someone else will be able to help you. Bryony
Old Jul 29th 2012, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all

The zoo is in the park. It is free to enter and it is open all year round but i don't know if it has opening hours during the day as it has been open every time we have gone. There are two lions, 2 tigers, 2 bears and a load of monkeys plus some zebras, deer, turtles. My 2 year old granddaughter likes it although you wouldn't spend the day there.
Kath
Old Jul 29th 2012, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Looking for things to do with a 2 1/2 yr old

Originally Posted by MikeCol
If you are on the edge of La Villa just walk to the main road into Ayamonte and I know for a fact there is a bus stop outside La Plaza so I assume there must be several more on that road. I don't know how frequently they run but I'm sure someone else will be able to help you. Bryony
The small local bus does a circular route from Punta Morel via Canela, town center, La Plaza, Parador and Poligono. It may be that the Isla Canela leg is operated by a coach in summer. The train goes between the Parador and Punta Morel all day in summer but I imagine takes a while. I think ferry and bus timetables are on lnfoayamonte.com and also schedules of events.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Jul 29th 2012 at 10:18 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 7:49 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
The small local bus does a circular route from Punta Morel via Canela, town center, La Plaza, Parador and Poligono. It may be that the Isla Canela leg is operated by a coach in summer. The train goes between the Parador and Punta Morel all day in summer but I imagine takes a while. I think ferry and bus timetables are on lnfoayamonte.com and also schedules of events.
What a shame it doesnt carry on 5 mins to us stopping at say golf club, 2nd fountain roundabout and shop...... The mayor/his crony is on the board of the EUC - but dont seem to want to do anything at CE, except take the dues and not report how its spent!

Rant over
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

A regular bus to Esuri would have made a difference to where I looked for new place. As a non driver it is simply no use to me without transport out or lots more shops :-)
Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Lloyd2012 is a jewel in the roughLloyd2012 is a jewel in the roughLloyd2012 is a jewel in the roughLloyd2012 is a jewel in the rough

Am in issuri at the minute with my 7yr old and wedid a visit to the zoo today , it's not too bad when you consider it's origin. My son loved it especially the bears !
I'll be here with a three yr old in sept so I too will be looking for activity. I know it's not a great suggestion considering the lack of wheels but the dolfin park is ideal for that general age group also.

Wishing you well.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 6:17 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lloyd2012
Am in issuri at the minute with my 7yr old and wedid a visit to the zoo today , it's not too bad when you consider it's origin. My son loved it especially the bears !
I'll be here with a three yr old in sept so I too will be looking for activity. I know it's not a great suggestion considering the lack of wheels but the dolfin park is ideal for that general age group also.

Wishing you well.
Imagine you are coming back from Canela and take the 'back road' thats signposted Portugal Huelva in blue, after the stadium, you soon pass the swimming pool on your left. There is a kiddies pool there. Also when you get into town, you turn right on a small road that leads to the petrol station, (still following the signs) on the left after just 20 yards or so, there is a small building area with all sorts of climbing frames, etc. We've never been in so dont know if its suitable for a 2.5 year old. Or if its public. But if you are in town its just a short stroll coming backwards from the garage. Also there are waterparks in Spain and Portugal - but again we've never used them and don't know if there's facilities for kids.....

Good luck

Jon

PS the petrol station referred above is the one in town on the roundabout near the chicken BBQ
Old Aug 9th 2012, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi again,

The Zoo Park is closed on Mondays. The animals reported they were fed up with seeing so many miserable adults and they needed a day of rest.

However, the animals love seeing the happy faces of the children. So much so that the kiddie fun rides of Chipilandia next door to the parque have not rattled any cages, even after closing time of 10pm.

There is the other Chipilandia with paddle courts, etc. at Punta del Moral. Not sure if there are any kiddie playground swings/see-saws?

Re: Ice Cream. Had a ball of Pistachio at La Bocana the other day. For medicinal purposes; it's HOT [bochornoso]!!

Carol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.