Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why do Spanish people think that British expats come to Spain for free health care?

Why do Spanish people think that British expats come to Spain for free health care?

Old Jul 17th 2012, 4:41 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do Spanish people think that British expats come to Spain for free health car

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
What an arragant lot the Brits can be, telling people what they should and shouldn't drink! Isn't it just down to personal taste?

The Brits put milk in their tea, now that is TRULY disgusting.
Originally Posted by rafikiphoto
What a strange post. Who's telling people what they should and shouldn't drink? All I can see here is a discussion of what people drink in different areas and some comments on likes and dislikes.
I thought this was quite light hearted too, strange post
Old Jul 17th 2012, 4:43 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do Spanish people think that British expats come to Spain for free health car

Well, I must be looking at a different thread then. We've had

"I would never dream of contaminating my brandy with that disgusting stuff"

"At least they only waste crap cheap wine in it."

"What's really foul is the gin and Coke"

and worst of all,

[I]"The Spanish have no taste at all".[/I]

If that's not arrogance I don't know what is!
things like that are said all the time, usually about Brits and Germans who wear socks with sandals, it is not arrogant at all.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
probably, I learnt that from someone from Granada/Murcia border, god why is this lovely country so bloody confusing
No different to the UK Dom....
If my husband or myself were to talk to you in broad Lancashire you wouldn't understand a word we were saying, and as for Geordie...
Old Jul 17th 2012, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

If that's not arrogance I don't know what is!
Perhaps you don't.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Never seen that here, just the ubiquitous tinto de verano.

EDIT: are you in the Basque country? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalimotxo
It was very popular on the Costa del Sol back in the 70's, I occasionally drink it myself and have had more than one Spanish waiter ask me how I know about it.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 5:00 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
We had a couple of brandies the other day to finish us off - they came with ICE
Originally Posted by rspltd
I can understand that if it was Spanish brandy - a bit like Australian lager - has to be cold otherwise you taste it.
And why not?

Obviously didn't finish you off though, as you are still here!
Yup still here.

I would expect any brandy to be served at room temperature and have seen it served in a warmed glass.

Some Spanish brandy is very nice Try Osborne 103.

Brandy is nearly always called Cognac by the Spanish but is very different - for a start it is usually 10% weaker.

As far as spirits go the split here is this:

The Spanish drink Whisky (Scotch) or Rum, with Coke, Fanta or 7up, The Brits drink Whiskey either neat or with Casera, Vodka with Coke or Tonic, and Gin and Tonic.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 5:12 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Reminds me of when we popped in to the cordon bleu section of one of the El Corte Inglés stores in Seville. I pointed my wife to a big display of Johnny Walker Blue Label, 195€ a bottle. "What a price!" I said. She giggled and said "Doesn't matter, the Spanish will still drink it with Coca Cola!"
Never had the opportunity to go that high up the scale so if anyone can tell me how it compares in taste to those lower down the scale I would be grateful.

As to the price
http://www.asylum.com/2010/01/07/mar...-so-expensive/
Old Jul 17th 2012, 5:19 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
No different to the UK Dom....
If my husband or myself were to talk to you in broad Lancashire you wouldn't understand a word we were saying, and as for Geordie...
Meg, you know full well I have been abroad before, living in a messdeck of 120 guys from all parts of the UK, working with Dutch, South African.
At 17 working with 2 guys from India in Singapore, one was a survivor of the Prince of Wales sinking.
Almost married a girl from Middlesborough, called her a Geordie once and she wanted to throw me off the Transporter Bridge.
So most accents won't phase me, although the coded Irish accent the IRA used to use I found a bit grating at times.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato
Yup still here.

I would expect any brandy to be served at room temperature and have seen it served in a warmed glass.

Some Spanish brandy is very nice Try Osborne 103.

Brandy is nearly always called Cognac by the Spanish but is very different - for a start it is usually 10% weaker.

As far as spirits go the split here is this:

The Spanish drink Whisky (Scotch) or Rum, with Coke, Fanta or 7up, The Brits drink Whiskey either neat or with Casera, Vodka with Coke or Tonic, and Gin and Tonic.
have never found a decent Spanish Rum, usually buy Capt Morgan's as that's an import, although Woods 100 has spoilt me for most of them.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
things like that are said all the time, usually about Brits and Germans who wear socks with sandals, it is not arrogant at all.
Well, maybe arrogant is the wrong word but I find it quite hard to understand the point of that sort of stereotyping. Was "The Spanish have no taste at all" meant to be funny? My Spanish friends don't go on about Brits wearing socks and sandals.

This forum was recommended to me as somewhere to talk to other British people, because there aren't any where I live. But the main topics of conversation for some of you seem to be slagging off (a) each other, (b) the Spanish, (c) immigrants (except yourselves) and (d) Muslims.

Sorry if I am being over sensitive, I just haven't come across this sort of thing before.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
have never found a decent Spanish Rum, usually buy Capt Morgan's as that's an import, although Woods 100 has spoilt me for most of them.
If Spanish people drink rum, they buy the Cuban and Central American ones since that is where the sugal cane is (obviously) i.e. Havana Club or the Dominican ones
Old Jul 17th 2012, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Well, maybe arrogant is the wrong word but I find it quite hard to understand the point of that sort of stereotyping. Was "The Spanish have no taste at all" meant to be funny? My Spanish friends don't go on about Brits wearing socks and sandals.

This forum was recommended to me as somewhere to talk to other British people, because there aren't any where I live. But the main topics of conversation for some of you seem to be slagging off (a) each other, (b) the Spanish, (c) immigrants (except yourselves) and (d) Muslims.

Sorry if I am being over sensitive, I just haven't come across this sort of thing before.
I agree with you, for what it's worth
Old Jul 17th 2012, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

I find that there are some very useful topics on here and the forum is open for you to begin new topics in which you are interested of course. I will often unsubscribe from threads that go off topic or where a slanging match starts. Just try to ignore topics and people that raise your blood pressure.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 6:35 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Spain is a vast country, peopled by a vast variety of people in different autonomous regions. Until very recently, part of one region was trying to blow up anything connected with the central government, and also quite recently the whole country was at war with itself.

We now have a strange phenomenon where a million British expats have congregated in certain areas and have elected councillors to represent them at local government level.

Therefore, it's futile to define the average Spaniard with any certainty, only that he will be different to the next one living a few miles away.

Take a daft comparison between Calimocho (a wine and Cola drink), in the same province, In Denia, they all drink it, in Torrevieja, they don't know what it is.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I hope I didn't start to problem? my comment re drinking my brandy neat and not with coke these days, was meant to be a light hearted comment nothing more. I think some times humour does get taken out of place. At the end of the day it's up to you what you put in a drink if you like it that way so what that goes for most things even if you want to wear socks with your sandals.
the comment re Brandy being called Cognac when we first got to know our village barman I asked that question and he said it is Brandy in Spain? I must admit it is nice when the glass is warmed especially in winter or on a cool night and I love it with a nice coffee.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.