Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why do Spanish people think that British expats come to Spain for free health care?

Why do Spanish people think that British expats come to Spain for free health care?

Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:11 am
Banned

TabaccoSmoker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why do Spanish people think that British expats come to Spain for free health care?

While discussing the economic situation with Spaniards, I have heard more than a few make the statement that "British people come to Spain to use the health care system because they have to pay in the UK", or words to that effect.

I've always been suprised by that statement because the NHS is free in the UK and people are never asked to pay for any hospital treatment, it is a single-payer system funded by taxes.

However, many Spaniards are often quite suprised when I tell them this. They seem to be under the illusion that the UK is run just like America and that the health care system is privately run and we have to pay out of our own pocket for every bit of treatment we receive, so they think the British pensioners come to Spain to avoid having to pay for health care in the UK.

In fact, I have come across many Spaniards who think much of the economic problem in Spain is caused by British pensioners putting an over-whelming amount of pressure on the health service and they often seem equally suprised when I inform them that British expats health care in Spain is paid for by the NHS under a reciprical payment agreement as both countries are part of the European Union.

Generally speaking, Spanish people seem to be confused as to why British expats move to Spain.

British expats more to Spain for three reasons, in order of importance:

1. Spain has better weather

2. Property prices are much cheaper

3. Cost of living is cheaper

In fact, many British expats return to the UK to use the NHS if they have a seriously medical problem because many question the quality of the Spanish health care system following all the cuts and economic problems that are currently occuring in Spain.

Why do Spanish people think that health care is not free in the UK?
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:49 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do Spanish people think that British expats come to Spain for free health car

Because that is what their media implies. As one Spaniard said this morning, if you want to know the truth about what is happening in Spain, read the foreign press. Be a bit of a waste going over to Spain for treatment, in some places the waiting lists are longer than the UK
Old Jul 14th 2012, 12:12 pm
RQM
Forum Regular

RQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really nice
Default Re: Why do Spanish people think that British expats come to Spain for free health car

I agree with the reasons why Brits move to Spain, but in the years I have lived here I have never once seen a doctor on the social although I am entitled to. In fact I have only ever seen a doctor twice and paid each time. I am sure there are many who abuse the system, I know of people who have lived here for 6 or 7 years and still carry an EHIC in case they need treatment rather than move into the system but that is their choice.

If the country is good enough to move to for the weather, cost of living etc then it should be totally embraced. Some people want the best of all worlds.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 12:22 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Because that is what their media implies. As one Spaniard said this morning, if you want to know the truth about what is happening in Spain, read the foreign press. Be a bit of a waste going over to Spain for treatment, in some places the waiting lists are longer than the UK
Funny, same thing applies in Germany. What German media reports (and how they report it) is often quite different from what the "foreign" media reports. But then again, the German govt. does have a bit more control over the press than most...

Still, I reckon it's much the same everywhere.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes to help 'set the record straight' the British ambassador, Giles Paxman, recently wrote to the Spanish government - as we Brits had been accused of abuse and 'health tourism' ie coming here just for the medical care.
The Spanish said the British government failed to correctly explain the use and limitations of the EHIC.
Looks like a case of Spanish government spin to help offset the unpopular changes they are making and we are the fall guys.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

I think the problem is that some expats live in Spain for long periods without registering as residents, and get medical treatment here using their EHIC cards which the Spanish govt isn't reimbursed for.

Also even when they are resident, their country of origin is supposed to reimburse Spain for their healthcare but doesn't always pay up promptly.

More here
El Gobierno endurecerá los requisitos de empadronamiento para evitar los abusos cometidos por los foráneos

And one in English:
Spanish government announces clampdown on health tourism

Which is more or less what Britain was doing in 2010:
British government clamps down on health tourists

So perhaps they are learning tricks from the Con-Dems.

Last edited by Pocaloca; Jul 14th 2012 at 1:22 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 1:43 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Afraid OP has gone now, due to being a previously (twice) banned member
Old Jul 14th 2012, 1:48 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Thanks, glad to see the back of a.n.other troll
Old Jul 14th 2012, 2:00 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Is there a reason we can't be told who they are - er, were? You know what I mean...
Old Jul 14th 2012, 2:10 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

glutton for punishment ?

shame we would have to discuss in a new thread such a subjectand can't carry on with it here whilst in the mood

Old Jul 14th 2012, 2:23 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TabaccoSmoker
While discussing the economic situation with Spaniards, I have heard more than a few make the statement that "British people come to Spain to use the health care system because they have to pay in the UK", or words to that effect.

I've always been suprised by that statement because the NHS is free in the UK and people are never asked to pay for any hospital treatment, it is a single-payer system funded by taxes.

However, many Spaniards are often quite suprised when I tell them this. They seem to be under the illusion that the UK is run just like America and that the health care system is privately run and we have to pay out of our own pocket for every bit of treatment we receive, so they think the British pensioners come to Spain to avoid having to pay for health care in the UK.

In fact, I have come across many Spaniards who think much of the economic problem in Spain is caused by British pensioners putting an over-whelming amount of pressure on the health service and they often seem equally suprised when I inform them that British expats health care in Spain is paid for by the NHS under a reciprical payment agreement as both countries are part of the European Union.

Generally speaking, Spanish people seem to be confused as to why British expats move to Spain.

British expats more to Spain for three reasons, in order of importance:

1. Spain has better weather

2. Property prices are much cheaper

3. Cost of living is cheaper

In fact, many British expats return to the UK to use the NHS if they have a seriously medical problem because many question the quality of the Spanish health care system following all the cuts and economic problems that are currently occuring in Spain.

Why do Spanish people think that health care is not free in the UK?

What a shame that Tsmoker has gone, I would never have guessed that he had been on as a different poster.

And you must admit he was and probably still is doing a good job educating the Spanish, and defending the Brits against abuse and bad feeling from the locals about the health service issue, at the same time.

Old Jul 14th 2012, 5:19 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Is there a reason we can't be told who they are - er, were? You know what I mean...
I dont make a habit of it ..... Matematik, COF
Old Jul 14th 2012, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

I swear that few Spanish citizens know or knew that the citizens of other European Union countries were coming to the health care of our country. I've even seen this news more widespread in the British Media that in the Spanish Media
Old Jul 14th 2012, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
What a shame that Tsmoker has gone, I would never have guessed that he had been on as a different poster.

And you must admit he was and probably still is doing a good job educating the Spanish, and defending the Brits against abuse and bad feeling from the locals about the health service issue, at the same time.

What bad feelings do you speak? You don't live in Spain, right?
Old Jul 14th 2012, 8:03 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relampago
What bad feelings do you speak? You don't live in Spain, right?
Read the post properly, it an ironic reply to Tsmokers post, and it obviously went over your head.

And I do live in Spain, again another misunderstanding on your part.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.