Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why do people continue to knock Britain on this forum ??

Why do people continue to knock Britain on this forum ??

Old Feb 16th 2007, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do people continue to knock Britain on this forum ??

Originally Posted by Rixxy
searching for a better life for ourselves and our kids - which is not selfich in my eyes -
No, that is selfish!! You aren't doing it for anyone else, therefore it's selfish!!! There is nothing wrong with it, just admit you're looking after number one!!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 9:57 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by helenp
I think a lot of it is where you live well personally speaking anyway, I live in a semi rural village where I feel reasonably safe to walk around in the day surrounded by British countryside which is beautiful. However I lived in Town for 14 years and I was more anti Britain then main gripes were seeing junkies on every corner feeling threatened just walking to the shop with my children. It was when my children got to school age that we decided to move somewhere safer i.e where they won't find syringes on the floor.
I think Britain has got many problems as has any Country, Spain is not perfect i.e drug problems and shootings etc around some coastal areas, as for political issues well wherever you move that will be the case I think somebady on this forum said 'Same sh*** just different bucket'.
We are not moving because we hate Britain just for a change Britian has given us financial means to do what we want in Spain so I can't knock it.

Helen
Helen I agree with you. Witness Anne Widdicombe's recent TV foray onto a housing estate near Kennington in South London. Many years ago I worked in Frankfurt, the financial capital of Germany. I worked in the heart of the city, but not in finance. I remember going for a walk and seeing a group of people conversing in the street outside a bar.. how nice I thought...until I noticed the syringes lined up along the window sill. The gutters were full of them too, and some of the U Bahn exits were filled with people injecting as well. I gather squeaky clean Switzerland has a similar problem in it's cities.
I too lived in an east end of London tower block for many years... where tramps pissed in the lifts, and needles were often found in the stairwells. It was stripped bare some years later and is now very smart with a concierge. Still council. Things can change.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 10:04 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pjj
hi there i do love my country but it aint getting any easier to live in ! you say thousands of people of people are flocking to uk more like hundeds of thousands! you be surprised how many are getting handouts i done a finance deal last week to a polish guy the other day he was in full time work self employed he was renting from a private land lord and we had to check with him it was all above board that he lived there turns out that the beneifits office was paying half to his rent unbeliveable cor which some one would pay half towards my morgage ! i think alot of brits knock our country because it aint beening run properly ie the goverment are looking to tax you on the more miles you do in your car TAX TAX TAX ! ive just opened the paper today 15 year old boy shot dead is this what our countrys coming to !
Yes the exploitation of the welfare state needs to be controlled....but remember that for the many who come over for handouts, there are as many who come over and work very very hard doing the jobs that no one else is prepared to do. Even Dublin is packed with Poles, all just human beings searching for a better life. The next generation will all speak English without an accent, well at least without a foreign one, and the one beyond that will be considerd British.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

helenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by poollounger
Helen I agree with you. Witness Anne Widdicombe's recent TV foray onto a housing estate near Kennington in South London. Many years ago I worked in Frankfurt, the financial capital of Germany. I worked in the heart of the city, but not in finance. I remember going for a walk and seeing a group of people conversing in the street outside a bar.. how nice I thought...until I noticed the syringes lined up along the window sill. The gutters were full of them too, and some of the U Bahn exits were filled with people injecting as well. I gather squeaky clean Switzerland has a similar problem in it's cities.
I too lived in an east end of London tower block for many years... where tramps pissed in the lifts, and needles were often found in the stairwells. It was stripped bare some years later and is now very smart with a concierge. Still council. Things can change.

Yeah drugs are a big problem especially here in St.Helens I don't know why its so bad could be not many job opportunites here you have to go to Liverpool or Manchester etc to get decent work. Guns are now coming into town so this is why we live out of town could never live in town again anywhere. It took us a few years to save up to get out of town and we had to downgrade our house, which a lot of people wouldn't do. but as I said there is crime in Spain we have spoke to people who live there and in some of these beautiful villages not far from the coast there are drug barons living. Last year we went to Fuengirola and took a quick route down a back street and low and behold there were junkies hanging around a bar.
Its everywhere I think Britains biggest problem is the negative press, all Countries have it but don't go on about it so much, there should be more self pride.

Helen
Old Feb 16th 2007, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

Dont think is fair to blame foreigners for everything,after all many of Britains most revered institutions were set up by 'foreigners',Marks and Spencer(Jewish immigrant),Bank of England(Dutch), the list could go on,even fish and chips!
However with regard to the Britain bashing totally agree its human nature,a way of accentuating the positive with a new situation,also if the basher though Britain was great,they wouldnt have moved in the first place!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 10:26 am
Still young member

Rixxy will become famous soon enoughRixxy will become famous soon enough

searching for a better life for ourselves and our kids - which is not selfich in my eyes -

No, that is selfish!! You aren't doing it for anyone else, therefore it's selfish!!! There is nothing wrong with it, just admit you're looking after number one!!
Leighbloke - I came to Spain to give my kids a better chance in life. It was hard and gruelling, still is to be honest. I certainly dont consider that selfish.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
I don't agree with that. I'm not somebody who "knocks" Britain on forums but I moved to Spain, not because of an inability to live in the UK (I could be living there still in a nice house, with good, enjoyable, very well paid, self-employed work etc etc) but because I freely chose to move, after a great deal of research and planning and having carefully weighed up all the pros and cons. I was 38 when I moved here, so still potentially had a long professional career ahead of me in the UK and it was not an easy decision to take.

Britain, v generally speaking, is not as "Great" as it once was IMHO - you only have to read the recent news - near bottom in developed countries league tables for quality of life for kids, a gun/knife culture approaching that of the USA, crime levels/threats which, whether actual/reported/perceived are very real on a daily basis and a high cost of living.

All of those factors entered into my decision to leave the country of my birth. Spain isn't perfect either! But it would take something very major to happen for me ever to consider returning. IMHO (!) I am a model law-abiding citizen: not a yob, not claiming benefits, pay high taxes and VAT, am never ill, have no kids, work hard, play hard and generally contribute to society and so have been Britain's loss and Spain's gain! There is no point in continually knocking the UK though - I have made my decision, am happy with it and to do so would be a waste of energy much better dedicated to getting on with life in my new adopted home country!
An excellent response, Hillybilly!
You've covered everything we would have said...........couldn't agree with you more!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:53 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say that I love aspects of England - I love my friends and family who are there, I love the way my town looks in the summer, I love the christmas spirit and late night shopping where we used to live, I love the Indian restauarant near us.

I love "things" about England - what I didnt like and wont do is "LIVE"there. Moving abroad I can still experience all the good things I like about England when I go back on vacation.

Yes - where we live now may have downsides - but there are SO many good reasons to live here they outweigh them. Thats where the UK failed us .... money = crap, schools available to us = crap, tax = 40%. We couldnt have the Sky package we wanted because of the cost, we couldnt put the kids in the school we approved of because of our catchment area, WHY have to live on a crap budget, depriving yourselves of things when you cn go overseas and get it?

we now are tax free, dh earns far more money, I dont have to work, we pay for an excellent private knidergarten and school, we can afford anything we want, we are so very happy. BUT - we have no shops here, no cinema, no newspapers, bad TV, our house is large but quite basic, etc..

but the bad things here - compared to the bad things in the UK are trivial and irrelevant - thats the difference... in the UK they're the huge factors.

we took a chance - it worked and life here is so much better. But most expats who come to work here last less than a year ..... for the same reason we love it here they hate it. Horses for courses people.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:55 am
pjj
sun lover

pjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud of

Leighbloke - I came to Spain to give my kids a better chance in life. It was hard and gruelling, still is to be honest. I certainly dont consider that selfish.
i agree with you rixxy! you are not beinging selfish one bit ! i think that leighgirl opps i mean leighbloke i think he s got out the wrong side of bed this morning he seems to be getting in to sum right debates on the forum today ha ha !
Old Feb 16th 2007, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Val W is an unknown quantity at this point

Three teenagers murdered in London in the last couple of weeks, a two year old raped and murdered in Leeds, do I need to say more.

Is this the sort of place to bring up children.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 12:07 pm
pjj
sun lover

pjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Val W
Three teenagers murdered in London in the last couple of weeks, a two year old raped and murdered in Leeds, do I need to say more.

i think leighboy needs to read this quote !
Old Feb 16th 2007, 12:07 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Val W

and I bet the US, Oz, South Africa, Spain, France and most more have the same figures for the last couple of weeks too.

dont highlight these cases as all countries have the same problems - ALL - and to the same level or worse. if you think the rest of the world is different you will get a rude wake up call.

its the easiest thing to say "what a place to bring up children" - wot a cop out answer!! one answer fits all eh?!

well its not - its a combination ..... taxes, schools, wrong crowd at schools, drinking culture amongst brit teens, lack of respect from brit teenagers, highest rate of teenage pregnancy and a governement more than willling to give them tax payers money therefore ensuring they will go on to have another 6 kids for the money, kid culture of sitting on the internet, lack of space and facilities for kids to be outside safely ... etc...

so dont just label crime stats ..... dont let the daily mail be your voice - tell us your real reasons why, not whats in newsprint.

my biggest fear was that no matter how nicely we brought our kids up, because we couldnt afford private schooling they would have to go to the local school. There they could easily fall in with the wrong crowd - boozing, druggie, shoplifting etc etc ... anything we can do to try and keep them on the best track is the most important driving factor for us

Last edited by username 34; Feb 16th 2007 at 12:15 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Val W is an unknown quantity at this point

They are much larger countries than Britain, so we can't compare their figures. Don't tell me these happenings over the last couple of weeks aren't shockers.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

yes would have to agree morals and standards of behaviour seem to have declined drastically in the UK.Cost of living seems to be spiralling beyond the reach of the average family as well.There are some good things though,for example work seems a lot easier to come by in the UK,but would sadly have to agree,the no of bad things seem to outweight the good (reason for our move to Spain,aside from Spanish heritage,is the inability to get on the housing ladder)
Old Feb 16th 2007, 12:15 pm
Still young member

Rixxy will become famous soon enoughRixxy will become famous soon enough

No - its winter sick season in the UK!

Yes bad things happen here, they happen everywhere - Im sure most of you will have read about the recent Tony King thing, but then again local justice happens here as well!

So far I feel safer and as yet havent been robbed, mugged or worried too much about my kids.

Indidently on a lighter note, they summed things up hilariously a couple of years ago. They went back to Uk to visit family and their father (yes I pay to send them back as its important) and it was 9pm. They were out trying to find a restaurant that would allow children (son was 5ft 10 then, daughter was/is 5ft 8) and at the entrance to one had a sign with kids and a line across it (kids barred).

However someone with a dog walked right past them and into the joint!

They were appalled at that - and still are! (I found it totally hilarious)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.