Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Who to notify re marriage

Who to notify re marriage

Old Oct 31st 2010, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

neilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really nice
Default Who to notify re marriage

We have recently married in Florida and are awaiting the Marriage Certificate from the Broward County Courthouse in Florida.

Who do we have to notify in the UK ?

Who do we have to notify in Spain ?

We were previously both divorced and I am 63 ..... and my wife is 62 receiving a UK pension and already enjoys Spanish state healthcare.

Thanks.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 5:12 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who to notify re marriage

I have no idea, but I would like to wish you happiness with your new partner.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 5:39 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

We are in a similar position, after remarrying in the US three years ago. Maybe we didn’t try hard enough, or maybe our Spanish Gestor wasn’t good enough, but I’m afraid that after a few months of trying to regularise things we gave up.

Our Gestor started on a list of things he would have to do for us, Escritura, Residencia, Driving licence, Passport, Padron, various insurances, bank accounts, credit cards, car documents etc etc, sctatched his head and said, ‘Impossible’.

The trouble is, once you start changing names on one thing, say a driving licence, the problems escalate.

I hope you will be more successful than we were and hopefully someone will come along to explain how it can all be done.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

wilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nice

Wish you both all the best, we put are papers in to get married in the begining of January, and our local town hall has given us a date of the 21 december, almost a year. dont you just love the spanish.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

alig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant future

Hi Neil,

Congratulations.

is a link that might be useful for you.

I would say that, if you still have time, get the Hague Apostille put on it before it gets sent to you from Florida. You do this by sending it to the relevant county office - again google will be your friend here. If you want to use it as a legal document outside of the US it is likely that this will be necessary.

http://apostille.us/services/state/florida.shtml is a relevant link I think.

If you haven't been able to get the apostille put on before it gets sent then you may consider doing it before you really need it.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

With what seems a lot of hoops to jump through maybe that is why when Spanish woman get married they keep their maiden name for everything, and think that we Brits are mad for having changed our names.

I unfortunately am in limbo, my passport remains in my former married name (to tight to pay for a new passport when divorced with 8yrs to run ) but my driving licence is in my maiden name, wont that be fun when they want to see my documents.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 8:52 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jay01
With what seems a lot of hoops to jump through maybe that is why when Spanish woman get married they keep their maiden name for everything, and think that we Brits are mad for having changed our names.

I unfortunately am in limbo, my passport remains in my former married name (to tight to pay for a new passport when divorced with 8yrs to run ) but my driving licence is in my maiden name, wont that be fun when they want to see my documents.
Just for the hell of it, we once sat down and worked out which documents we now needed to carry along with our usual car documents.

It wasn’t too bad, but had to include a death certificate from the UK, translated off course, along with that fancy wedding certificate from the Little White Chapel in Las Vegas, translated off course. The car is also registered to a NIE number in a different name and the insurance is in yet another name.

We drive as carefully as possible and try and avoid any confrontation with any legal body in Spain. We didn’t bother to put the house on the market as we had intended. My wife was sitting outside a hospital consulting room the other day when her name was called, but she didn’t recognise it.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 9:37 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Just for the hell of it, we once sat down and worked out which documents we now needed to carry ..., but had to include a death certificate from the UK, ....
Did you have to lie down really still to get one of those Sorry I couldn't resist asking
Old Nov 1st 2010, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Lis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to all

It´s a nightmare! I changed my passport easily enough but then found some airlines refused to accept my credit card for a flight because it was in a different name. So I decided to open a new account in my married name with my passport. But you can only do that as a visitor. As a resident, the name must be the same as the NIE. But they wouldn´t let me change my NIE name. I decided at least I could send my driving license back to the UK with marriage certficate and a UK address. No, you now need to be on an NHS doctor´s list and we are now automatically removed after a year of no contact. DVLA refused to issue me with a new driving license and retained my old one saying I would have to take the Spanish test from scratch.
Now I have no photo ID in my maiden name as my residencia has expired.
I so wish I had never told anyone at all...
Old Nov 1st 2010, 11:17 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Did you have to lie down really still to get one of those Sorry I couldn't resist asking
Old Nov 1st 2010, 2:59 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by missile
Nice one. Lying still? Still lying is more appropriate.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 4:53 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lis48
It´s a nightmare! I changed my passport easily enough but then found some airlines refused to accept my credit card for a flight because it was in a different name. So I decided to open a new account in my married name with my passport. But you can only do that as a visitor. As a resident, the name must be the same as the NIE. But they wouldn´t let me change my NIE name. I decided at least I could send my driving license back to the UK with marriage certficate and a UK address. No, you now need to be on an NHS doctor´s list and we are now automatically removed after a year of no contact. DVLA refused to issue me with a new driving license and retained my old one saying I would have to take the Spanish test from scratch.
Now I have no photo ID in my maiden name as my residencia has expired.
I so wish I had never told anyone at all...
Thank you for the timely advice, we were about to give it another go to make ourselves legal.

We should know better because the first, and I hope only change we made was changing my wife’s name on a joint Spanish bank account, luckily a Caja one which we only used for a couple of standing orders. A couple of months later our electricity was cut off and we lost the contents of our freezer. The bank denied getting the bill from Iberdrola and they insisted that they had sent it.

Another month later our water was cut off. Luckily we had enough in the swimming pool to stop us getting smelly. The same thing happened when we went to the bank and water company, but this time I didn’t believe the bank.

The friendly manager who had changed our account name when we produced the nice wedding certificate from the US had a look on the computer and sighed. He made a couple of phone calls to head office and sighed again.

He solved the problem in a typically Spanish way. He closed the account with our correct names and re-opened our old account on which the names were no longer correct.

We will not be making any further attempts to legalise anything.

(I’ve just thought of our will). (And our dogs chips).
Old Nov 1st 2010, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Elly May has a brilliant futureElly May has a brilliant futureElly May has a brilliant futureElly May has a brilliant futureElly May has a brilliant futureElly May has a brilliant futureElly May has a brilliant future

We were married in May and I enquired with our solicitor in Spain if our Deeds or Wills required changing re my name and she said no it was not necessary. I have changed my name with the banks, passport & driving licence though as otherwise it could get tricky having one name on one and a different one on another when it comes to ID.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Think it's probably the same when someone is divorced. Here in the office we have just gone through that process for someone. They had done a change of name deed but we had it apostilled in England and then translated into Spanish and then went round the offices and banks one by one. Long winded but we got there in the end.