Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

who can you trust in spain?

who can you trust in spain?

Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: who can you trust in spain?

Originally Posted by Wendy Nesbeth
After being here over 5 years, there are very few people that I trust.

We lived in London before coming here & we trusted more people there. I have to say that I dont like it here much.

Wendy x
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

jimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nice

After being here over 5 years, there are very few people that I trust.

We lived in London before coming here & we trusted more people there. I have to say that I dont like it here much.

Wendy x
Wendy,
What is it that you don't like?
Old Mar 18th 2009, 9:36 am
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

Spain is an attractively easy place for prospective expats from the UK.

There`s regular cheap flights, the weather, etc etc.

Recently though I`ve heard the Costa del Sol described as the biggest council estate outside of the UK.

Many expat area`s have suffered due to low income families arriving.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 12:14 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livit
Spain is an attractively easy place for prospective expats from the UK.

There`s regular cheap flights, the weather, etc etc.

Recently though I`ve heard the Costa del Sol described as the biggest council estate outside of the UK.

Many expat area`s have suffered due to low income families arriving.
Well I live here and think you have heard wrong info, they can`t get handouts here like the UK, so why would they stay ?
The only ones I see are the ones on the Suns half a quid for two weeks holidays.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 2:42 pm
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
Well I live here and think you have heard wrong info, they can`t get handouts here like the UK, so why would they stay ?

It was a quote from a reporter who lives on the Costa Del Sol and working on a UK tv programme entitled "Costa Del Sol Street Crime".

It was made during an interview regarding the increase in Police arrest`s of British teenagers belonging to resident Expat families living within the Benalmadena/Torremolinos area.They also mentioned the amount of families who currently are claiming benefits whilst in Spain.

They also mentioned the increase in domestic violence cases which involved single parents/family break ups in the are, explaining that many marriage break ups occur in Spain and blamed the price of alcohol as a major facture in many incidents

How factual this is I have no idea.

Last edited by livit; Mar 18th 2009 at 2:45 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 5:17 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

It was a quote from a reporter who lives on the Costa Del Sol and working on a UK tv programme entitled "Costa Del Sol Street Crime".
I think that really answers it then, there are probably just as many problems with other foreigners kids etc.
The same goes for marraige split ups, I think it is the lack of language, work, money and extra stress that causes many problems and is certainly not only the Brits this affects.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 5:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
is certainly not only the Brits this affects.

If you were to ask, as this programme did, the policia local who or what is too blame, you may well differ this opinion.

Many expats list the youth/problems in the UK for there move away, only to be supprised to find the same style of hoody on Spanish streets.

The reporter used on that programme has been in the Costa for some decades.

The costa`s, especially the sol contain some of Europes most wanted/active individuals and groups, he is more active in his investigations/reports today than in previous years.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 5:53 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

If you were to ask, as this programme did, the policia local who or what is too blame, you may well differ this opinion.

Many expats list the youth/problems in the UK for there move away, only to be supprised to find the same style of hoody on Spanish streets.

The reporter used on that programme has been in the Costa for some decades.

The costa`s, especially the sol contain some of Europes most wanted/active individuals and groups, he is more active in his investigations/reports today than in previous years.
He is writing for a UK TV program, and you know how any kids get gobby if they think they will be on TV.
The same would happen if it was an Eastern European, German or Scandi TV show, they all beef it up to make their work ratings look good. ;-))
Where I live there are plenty of naughty boys of all nationalities, but most of them behave themselves now and stay below the radar. ;-)
Old Mar 18th 2009, 6:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
He is writing for a UK TV program, and you know how any kids get gobby if they think they will be on TV.
The same would happen if it was an Eastern European, German or Scandi TV show, they all beef it up to make their work ratings look good. ;-))
Where I live there are plenty of naughty boys of all nationalities, but most of them behave themselves now and stay below the radar. ;-)
It was an interview on a programme that spends 3 months a year filming whilst in the company of the Benalmadena and Fuengirola Policia.

One incident was four Irish lads around mid 20`s, all stabbed with knives in a bar in Fuengirola.The police arrived with the film crew and meet with them all bleeding from various wounds.

It was clear all four were drunk and the usual type of situation we all see on a Saturday.

The disturbing bit was that the ambulances didn`t turn up and after 2 collapsed with severe bleeding the worried officers placed the men in there vehicles and drove off to the local hospital.

Officers were interviewed after and explained this is a regular occurence, especially ambulances not turning up.

The only difference between a UK council estate and Spain was the language, weather and lack of medical attention.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 6:29 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

It was an interview on a programme that spends 3 months a year filming whilst in the company of the Benalmadena and Fuengirola Policia.

One incident was four Irish lads around mid 20`s, all stabbed with knives in a bar in Fuengirola.The police arrived with the film crew and meet with them all bleeding from various wounds.

It was clear all four were drunk and the usual type of situation we all see on a Saturday.

The disturbing bit was that the ambulances didn`t turn up and after 2 collapsed with severe bleeding the worried officers placed the men in there vehicles and drove off to the local hospital.

Officers were interviewed after and explained this is a regular occurence, especially ambulances not turning up.

The only difference between a UK council estate and Spain was the language, weather and lack of medical attention.
I live just up the road and never heard anything about that.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Torrevieja & Los Altos, Spain. Formaly from Wembley, London, UK
Wendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jimmbo
Wendy,
What is it that you don't like?
We don't like the tattooed, pierced, drunken, common Brits here.

The way they treat the Spanish is disgusting, we are guests in their country, we live here permanently, so we see it all the time.

Most times it makes us ashamed to be British.

Wendy x
Old Mar 19th 2009, 8:00 pm
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

We don't like the tattooed, pierced, drunken, common Brits here.

The way they treat the Spanish is disgusting, we are guests in their country, we live here permanently, so we see it all the time.

Most times it makes us ashamed to be British.

Wendy x
That is a huge misconception. As long as you pay your local taxes, contribute into the society etc etc you are an active member of said society and not a guest - if we were guests, wouldn't we be exempt from all this??? After all, when you invite guests to your house for dinner, you don't expect them to pay for the meal, clean the plates etc.....

As long as you are an active member of the community you are anything but a guest. This is why your vote in local elections is so important and it angers me immensely when expats say they don't feel they should vote as they are merely guests.

Which reminds me, if you haven't got yourself on the electorla roll do it now. Euro elections are in June and there is usually a two month deadline for people to register.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Torrevieja & Los Altos, Spain. Formaly from Wembley, London, UK
Wendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
That is a huge misconception. As long as you pay your local taxes, contribute into the society etc etc you are an active member of said society and not a guest - if we were guests, wouldn't we be exempt from all this??? After all, when you invite guests to your house for dinner, you don't expect them to pay for the meal, clean the plates etc.....

As long as you are an active member of the community you are anything but a guest. This is why your vote in local elections is so important and it angers me immensely when expats say they don't feel they should vote as they are merely guests.

Which reminds me, if you haven't got yourself on the electorla roll do it now. Euro elections are in June and there is usually a two month deadline for people to register.
We are on the etectorla roll, so we can vote, we also pay our taxes every year.

As well we have been here over 5 years, I speak a little Spanish, my husband speaks much more.

Wendy x

Last edited by Wendy Nesbeth; Mar 19th 2009 at 8:07 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

parispete is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: who can you trust in spain?

After reading all the comments, I have decided my attitude was wrong. From my first visit to Spain in 1969, the changes I thought would have come from EU membership have not all arrived. Yet. What I mean to say is that where one man sees 'corruption', the next man sees a 'cool drink'.
Paying someone to achieve a good result is the way of many countries, so we should not be too sniffy and holier than thou to admit that this system actually works.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 2:11 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by parispete
After reading all the comments, I have decided my attitude was wrong. From my first visit to Spain in 1969, the changes I thought would have come from EU membership have not all arrived. Yet. What I mean to say is that where one man sees 'corruption', the next man sees a 'cool drink'.
Paying someone to achieve a good result is the way of many countries, so we should not be too sniffy and holier than thou to admit that this system actually works.
Tell that to the end user, you know the one that has just had his place bulldozed down and got a bill for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.