Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

who can you trust in spain?

who can you trust in spain?

Old Mar 11th 2009, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

parispete is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up who can you trust in spain?

Many years ago I had an unfortunate experience buying a 'hot' apartment, during which a lot of professional people were revealed as nothing more than con artists out to make a fast buck from foreigners. Since the EU, all this funny stuff has doubtless improved, but the massive corruption revealed in local councils has me a little concerned that the Costa del Sol is not yet totally clean from official types (gestors, notarios) who might do me no good.
Advice from embassies is for the most part pretty useless, so, since I love Spain dearly, any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 2:23 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: who can you trust in spain?

Originally Posted by parispete
Many years ago I had an unfortunate experience buying a 'hot' apartment, during which a lot of professional people were revealed as nothing more than con artists out to make a fast buck from foreigners. Since the EU, all this funny stuff has doubtless improved, but the massive corruption revealed in local councils has me a little concerned that the Costa del Sol is not yet totally clean from official types (gestors, notarios) who might do me no good.
Advice from embassies is for the most part pretty useless, so, since I love Spain dearly, any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated.
You can trust me, I`m a doctor.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

And a good one, I'm sure
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:17 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jdr
You can trust me, I`m a doctor.
and can trust me, I`m dyslexia
Old Mar 11th 2009, 4:13 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

And a good one, I'm sure
Seriously Pete you have to be very careful, especially with new property, although if you buy old it doesn`t really mean it is totally legal.
At the moment there have been problems with 11 Mayors and their officials, solicitors and Estate Agents around Malaga, some are still in jail.
Google Malaya case.
Always get a solicitor that doesn`t sleep with the Agents and double check and double check the paperwork again.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Yeah, it's like that famous movie line went - "Just 'cause you love somethin' don't mean it has to love you back." That's been my Spanish experience. I love it, but, boy, you have to be careful who you trust !!!!
Old Mar 15th 2009, 11:16 am
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

Same rules for all countries.

The major problem most expats suffer from is a distorted view of there paradise in the sun.

Spain has three different police forces for a reason, there not all sat around drinking San Miguel all day long.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 5:51 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

That's SIMPLE - NO-ONE but yourself; listen to everyone by all means but use your own brain to decipher the information. No-one cares about your money better than you unless they want to put it into their own pocket - and there are a lot of those around in this crisis.

Davexf
Old Mar 15th 2009, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: who can you trust in spain?

It's such a shame that a lovely place has such a bad name for con artists. Take buying a car, for example. How is it possible to do this in safety? Surely there are docs that prove title and bods in the transport offices that can be trusted.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: who can you trust in spain?

Originally Posted by livit
Same rules for all countries.

The major problem most expats suffer from is a distorted view of there paradise in the sun.

Spain has three different police forces for a reason, there not all sat around drinking San Miguel all day long.
Can you explain these please. We have Community Police, Local Police, National Police and Guarda Civil. I think there are others who do the detective work for the investigating Magistrates what do they all do and who is in charge.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

You can buy books on the subject becuase it is so complex!

Try http://www.foropolicia.es/

It has a forum that lists the main ones and their subs.

Happy reading!

Best
Loco

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Can you explain these please. We have Community Police, Local Police, National Police and Guarda Civil. I think there are others who do the detective work for the investigating Magistrates what do they all do and who is in charge.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Torrevieja & Los Altos, Spain. Formaly from Wembley, London, UK
Wendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud of

After being here over 5 years, there are very few people that I trust.

We lived in London before coming here & we trusted more people there. I have to say that I dont like it here much.

Wendy x
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:19 am
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

[F][SIZE="2"]It's such a shame that a lovely place has such a bad name for con artists.
Not just con artist`s.

Spain has a very colorful history when it comes to crime.

For example, Pais Vasco/Catolonia has its own local police (Ertzaintza/Moso`s d`Esquadra), mainly due to violence towards the Guardia and National police, even so all Basque local`s work in towns away from there place of residency so that there family isn`t threatened.The Policia National in both regions have limited capabilites.

If you trace history of local Policia, many were born around the 18th centuary when municipal militias where used to defend against the bandits from the Carlist war`s.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: who can you trust in spain?

Yeah, the authority of the law to manage society is nowhere more troubled (apart from maybe Africa) than in Spain. I recently wanted to do business in Marbella, with a man I considered to be upfront and honest. But when going into the risks I might run, it turned out that a huge percentage of the legal people I might be involved with - and the process itself - was under investigation for corruption.
There was also the disturbing fact that extra funds required for a more thorough investigation had been denied. So how far up the chain of command does the funny stuff go? I love Spain, and to see it going through this self-inflicted torture is painful for me. Never was another Inquisition more needed - with a couple of heavyweight crims burned at the stake as an example that this massive corruption has just got to stop.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:42 pm
Banned

Here`s Spain`s position in the world.

http://www.transparency.org/news_roo...cpi_2008_table

Spain has different rules than the UK, whilst people in the UK believe cheating the system is wrong, Spaniards believe its there right, as there free democracy is simply and extension of Nationalism, which is as popular today as in the 60`s .

Its a system that frankly works in Spain, everything from Tax to employment normally has some intervention by a third party.

Could be worse, you could be living in Italy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.