Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Where Are They?

Where Are They?

Old Jun 20th 2014, 11:00 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where Are They?

Originally Posted by lutonlad
Well I am certainly not.
I think that it is good outlet for debate.
But I do think that some are pleased that it has become less prominent and perhaps diluted somewhat. And purely from my personal, unscientific straw poll they tend to be 'left' leaning.
I don't think anyone is 'rejoicing'. Some are upset that it is emasculated, others (see Rosemary above) are happy that it has become less vindictive and nasty.

Something had to happen but I'm not sure that the result so far is ideal.

WRT left/right leanings, you are aware that the traditional right (factory owners etc.) are quite happy with immigration as it provides them with cheap labour and the traditional left (the workers) are against it as it takes their jobs and promotes low pay?
Old Jun 20th 2014, 1:07 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Who is rejoicing in the demise of PDT?
Nobody. Plus, if there has been a downturn in the activity of the PDT, why aren't the Spanish forum members doing something about it by posting threads that are about something other than complaining about there being fewer decent threads in the PDT?

Or do they really have nothing to talk about except the UKIP and Gibraltar
Old Jun 20th 2014, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

How many more times, no-one cares about your PDT but they don't want to see ignorant generalizations and personal attacks.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 1:33 pm
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
How many more times, no-one cares about your PDT but they don't want to see ignorant generalizations and personal attacks.
That makes for a strange post.
Quite contradictary in a generalised, ignorant attacking kind of way?
Old Jun 20th 2014, 1:33 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Forum usage goes in swings and roundabouts, sometimes it's busy, other times it's goes quiet. Nothing much has changed in the 10 years I've been around the place other than there are less bodies simply because the likes of FB have taken some traffic. Also the recent upgrade may have caused some to have issues so they've backed off a bit.

If you seriously can't find anything interesting/intellectual to read or discuss in PdT then that's down to the Spanish members, no one is celebrating a forum going quiet.

Also there are shedloads of threads in TIO that are very heavy on content, however there are also gaps of harmless fun to lighten the load. The only difference between the two that I've ever seen is that PdT seem to get off on being abusive to one another and TIO seem happy to take on board other peoples views whilst discussing and whilst also having fun.

As for deciding that you know how someone votes (and then clubbing 'them' together) from some innocuous comments on a public forum, well can I say, I'm impressed with your psychic powers.

Most of you in the Spanish forums, from what I've seen, are as regular human beings as the rest of the world forums. Only difference is some of you appear to think 'we' (being anyone outside Spain) have it in for you, that's kind of weird to me.

However as has been said, the continued 'them and us' stuff is seriously boring and possibly explains why other posters are staying away. They come into PdT looking for debate and argument and find a few people still complaining that they lost a few threads.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IamStu
No it isn't.

Let me explain for the 50th time.

Some people on PDT liked to have cosy rants, but seemed to forget they were on the internet and that other people could see the posts about religious, national and ethnic groups which could only be described as hate speech.

The personal attacks were also highly unpleasant .
Old Jun 20th 2014, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
No it isn't.

Let me explain for the 50th time.

Some people on PDT liked to have cosy rants, but seemed to forget they were on the internet and that other people could see the posts about religious, national and ethnic groups which could only be described as hate speech.

The personal attacks were also highly unpleasant .
So, pdt can´t be described as "your pdt" then?
As pdt is on the internet, it can´t be described as "cosy" then?
As it is a discussion forum, people are in fact allowed to describe what others might consider "ignorant generalisation" as it is an opinion they are fully entitled to.
Remember, others might consider your opinions with the same level of disdain that you clearly view theirs.
Just saying like....
Old Jun 20th 2014, 2:21 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

As it is a discussion forum, people are in fact allowed to describe what others might consider "ignorant generalisation" as it is an opinion they are fully entitled to.
Remember, others might consider your opinions with the same level of disdain that you clearly view theirs.
Just saying like....
Get past all that, though. Threads might have been moved and I think a few people were banned. So be it - that's up to admin and the mods and since we all get to post here for free (premium members notwithstanding) those things really aren't our concern.

Right now, if the PDT is in a supposed decline (though there were a few active threads this morning if memory serves me well), then those remaining members have the ability to redress that balance, do they not? Start some new discussions and get it going again.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just saying like....
I am in no doubt that they do.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. In my humble opinion the Poster in question is a champion of sweeping generalisations and one liners. Also seems to be very good at putting people down.

Last edited by lutonlad; Jun 20th 2014 at 4:35 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 4:21 pm
I have a comma problem

I can see why they call this an outlet for healthy debate. Truly riveting stuff

Seriously, have you all got me on ignore or have you been unwilling to listen to reason and just focusing on your perceived mistreatment?

I've said it a million times - the ball is in your court. If you don't like how the PDT has been of late, then you have the ability to change it. Otherwise, you really can't complain.

I still challenge you to post some topics for discussion in TIO. You can't base your opinion of an entire message board based on three moved threads all on the same topic, after all ...
Old Jun 20th 2014, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Get past all that, though. Threads might have been moved and I think a few people were banned. So be it - that's up to admin and the mods and since we all get to post here for free (premium members notwithstanding) those things really aren't our concern.

Right now, if the PDT is in a supposed decline (though there were a few active threads this morning if memory serves me well), then those remaining members have the ability to redress that balance, do they not? Start some new discussions and get it going again.
Simple question, what are you doing in a Spanish forum? I've no idea why you are here, you don't appear to have any interest in Spain, but you seem to think your presence will somehow enrich our experience of this particular forum. Of course everyone is welcome, but it's a bit like me joining a US forum, a country I have no interest in and know nothing about. As for people leaving and few posts in PDT, I guess it might have something to do with posts being moved to TIO, a forum I had never heard of until recently. Pointless posting only to find it moved to a forum you don't ever read.

Last edited by agoreira; Jun 20th 2014 at 4:27 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lutonlad
I agree. In my humble opinion the Poster in question is a champion of sweeping generalisations and one liners.
Yes to one-liners, I didn't realize they were a hanging offence until I came to this part of the forum.

Please point out my sweeping generalisations, I am always happy to try to correct my mistakes.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by agoreira
Simple question, what are you doing in a Spanish forum? I've no idea why you are here, you don't appear to have any interest in Spain, but you seem to think your presence will somehow enrich our experience of this particular forum. Of course everyone is welcome, but it's a bit like me joining a US forum, a country I have no interest in and know nothing about.
We don't have to 'join' a particular forum. Anyone can post in the US part if they wish. We used to have posters from all over the site in the Lounge and TIO, that is reduced now because of the separate country 'off topic' areas but still holds true.

When posts are moved, you can just follow the link. I think that has been explained several times already.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 4:30 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by agoreira
Simple question, what are you doing in a Spanish forum? I've no idea why you are here, you don't appear to have any interest in Spain, but you seem to think your presence will somehow enrich our experience of this particular forum. Of course everyone is welcome, but it's a bit like me joining a US forum, a country I have no interest in and know nothing about.
I am interested in the world as a whole, irrespective of which part of the world any part of the BE boards apply to. I do not have anything to offer in a discussion about Spain a lot of the time, I'll agree but I don't attempt to try and do that anyway. None of the PDT threads I have posted in have been about Spain, but that's not by design.

I found myself here after the whole thing about threads being moved into Take It Outside. I don't think my presence has any affect whatsoever, I'm just interested in talking to expats all over the world, that's all. Likewise, there is nothing to stop you posting in the Trailer Park either.

We all have the shared experience of being a Brit abroad, right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.