Reload this Page >

Where in Spain?

Where in Spain?

Old Jul 20th 2011, 10:46 am
Just Joined

louispoppy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Where in Spain?

Hi
I'm thinking of moving to Southern Spain along with my husband and two children. But where is best for us? We want to be not too far from the sea but not too touristy, must have good internet connection and good shops nearby. Any ideas of where to start looking?
At the moment we live in the South of France but would love a change and more reliable sunshine :
regards
Old Jul 20th 2011, 11:12 am
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where in Spain?

Come visit Ayamonte, 10 mins.from the beaches, shops, restaurants, schools, medical center, public swimming pool, sportscenter, commercial center, 2 marina´s. 45 minutes from Faro (Portugal) airport, 1,5 hour from Seville airport.

Buzzing during July & August and then it goes quiet again.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:36 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louispoppy
Hi
I'm thinking of moving to Southern Spain along with my husband and two children. But where is best for us? We want to be not too far from the sea but not too touristy, must have good internet connection and good shops nearby. Any ideas of where to start looking?
At the moment we live in the South of France but would love a change and more reliable sunshine :
regards
can you afford Marbella or Malaga ?
loads of places near the sea, one of the most populated portions of Spain
Old Jul 21st 2011, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

jonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to behold
Cool Re: Where in Spain?

Originally Posted by louispoppy
We want to be not too far from the sea but not too touristy, must have good internet connection and good shops nearby.
It sounds as Nueva Andalucia would suit you well, close to the sea, Puerto Banus and Marbella. But calm and without much tourists. If you want something "more Spanish" then you can consider the nearby San Pedro de Alcantara.

You can look for apartments or villas here.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 9:08 am
Just Joined

louispoppy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much for your suggestions I will get busy on the internet looking all these places up.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

For my money , IF I were going to Spain ( which is unlikely ! ) , I wouldn't consider Andalucia anymore ; very touristy , crowded , congested and expensive , I found it on my last recent visits ( and I do speak some Spanish ) ; incredibly dog-unfriendly , too and to find some affordable & good grub between Nerja , Malaga , Marbella , Puerto Banus and Gibraltar is the scientific-research job .
Rather , think the Costa Brava , the section from the French border to almost Barcelona ; it has the 4 seasons , it has much nicer vegetation , it is much less jumped-up and also more cosmopolitan ( Germans , Dutch , French , Belgians , Scandinavians etc. ) , does not get as hot and insufferable in summertime , the world's best restaurant is there ( El Bulli ) , as is the Empuriabrava marina and interesting places , like Figueres , Girona , Tossa del Mar , Cadaques....
Barcelona offers great shopping and entertainment , if you happen to be that way inclined .
Or , in the other direction , France is easily manageable by car or the national road or the motorway , the border is open and unmanned and you can do much ( and better ) shopping there , if needed ;
if I wanted to live in Spain , that's what I would choose .
Good Luck !

Last edited by Ray51; Jul 21st 2011 at 11:36 am. Reason: correction/s
Old Jul 21st 2011, 9:49 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Not all of Andalucia is the Costa Concrete.

Have a look at the South Atlantic coast, the Costa de la Luz. If you want expats around, Chiclana is good, if not then the rest of the area is very Spanish, and you would be best learning the language.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 10:31 am
Banned

naladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant futurenaladogs has a brilliant future

Hi and welcome

I see you have had some excellent advice so far , Ayamonte is lovely and is is so easy to get to the excellent shops at the Algarve shopping centre in Faro, which by all accounts is soon to be extended, but unfortuantely the motorway leading to it will soon be a toll road, or Sevilla .

Mind you about as far away from france you can get , not sure if that is a good or bad thing for you.

We choose to move futher inland to Baza in the mountain region of Granada, so in between the excellent shopping areas of Murcia and Granada and just over an hour from the beaches near Vera. We love it !!! here and we have our local beach at lake Negratin. You certainly get the true taste of Spain here and it is liked you walked back in time 20 years, something we love maybe others wouldn't - although they are still very internet savy :-) The weather is surprizing good here in the antiplano, hot but not so humid as the coast, yes we get snow, 1.5 days of it last winter - most disapointing I was told it would be 3 or 4 :-)

So much to choose from but they say Knowledge is power so I hope it all helps - Good luck with your move !!!

Last edited by naladogs; Jul 21st 2011 at 10:40 am. Reason: dumbass
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray51
For my money , IF I were going to Spain ( which is unlikely ! ) , I wouldn't consider Andalucia anymore ; very touristy , crowded , congested and expensive , I found it on my last recent visits ( and I do speak some Spanish ) ; incredibly dog-unfriendly , too and to find some affordable & good grub between Nerja , Malaga , Marbella , Puerto Banus and Gibraltar is the scientific-research job .
Rather , think the Costa Brava , the section from the French border to almost Barcelona ; it has the 4 seasons , it has much nicer vegetation , it is much less jumped-up and also more cosmopolitan ( Germans , Dutch , French , Belgians , Scandinavians etc. ) , does not get as hot and insufferable in summertime , the world's best restaurant is there ( El Bulli ) , as is the Empuriabrava marina and interesting places , like Figueres , Girona , Tossa del Mar , Cadaques....
Barcelona offers great shopping and entertainment , if you happen to be that way inclined .
Or , in the other direction , France is easily manageable by car or the national road or the motorway , the border is open and unmanned and you can do much ( and better ) shopping there , if needed ;
if I wanted to live in Spain , that's what I would choose .
Good Luck !

Not all Andalucia is crowded lol, depends where you go, the strip along Malaga to Gib is, very small part of Andalucia. funny someone who does not live here giving views, personally wouldnt go to Brussels, never open when I have passed through
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:22 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
Not all Andalucia is crowded lol, depends where you go, the strip along Malaga to Gib is, very small part of Andalucia. funny someone who does not live here giving views, personally wouldnt go to Brussels, never open when I have passed through
and there are a couple of mountains above Granada that don't have anyone living there

isn't Brussels the Part Time Centre of the EUniverse ?
small wonder its always closed when you pass through, they are too busy packing boxes for the next move.

Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:26 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonnyx
It sounds as Nueva Andalucia would suit you well, close to the sea, Puerto Banus and Marbella. But calm and without much tourists. If you want something "more Spanish" then you can consider the nearby San Pedro de Alcantara.

You can look for apartments or villas here.
Nueva andalucia calm...there has been at least five different shootings there over the past few years
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Domino
isn't Brussels the Part Time Centre of the EUniverse ?
You are very right here ;
it's Brussels and then Strassbourg for the overpaid EU pen-pushers , cyclicaly and at great , great expense to the taxpayers ;
not my choice , but noone consulted me , ever ;
much as people of EUrope never get consulted ever , or get asked for a vote in a proper referendum ! So much for the franco-german Reich's new "democracy" !
On the other hand , be it is it is , Brussels can ( still ) be great , if you know what you're doing and where to go .
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:06 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

There are some super restaurants and they say the salaries are good
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo
There are some super restaurants and they say the salaries are good
in Spain or Brussels ?

no, sorry can't be Spain, they don't have good salaries but many super restaurants
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

In Brussels , there just too many EU-pen pushers on great salaries and just about every restarant I know is either good or very good : Lebanese , Thai , Vietnamese , French , Italian , Japanese , pub-grub , you-name-it ;
much better in fact than anything I ever found in various Costas of Spain ,
but maybe I was ignorant , or ill-advised , on my 12 + visits to there ,
who knows ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.