Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Where to report tourist scams

Where to report tourist scams

Old Aug 4th 2009, 7:06 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to report tourist scams

NOooooo

Old Aug 4th 2009, 7:10 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I feel much better now after a mad little singalong.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of

got it use cash from now on
Old Aug 4th 2009, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

And my (I hope) final word on the subject?
Dateline this evening: Ikea asks which currency you'd like to be billed in at the cafe, but not at the 'Expres' checkout......which is anything but expres, given that even having used your numero secreto you STILL have to wait for an assistant to reel out your till receipt and get you to sign - which signature, if pressed, they'll admit isn't obligatorio!!!!!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by missbad
I must be really dumb as i was lost on post one
You and me both and I run a business here in Spain where my customers can pay by credit card.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fionamw
And my (I hope) final word on the subject?
Dateline this evening: Ikea asks which currency you'd like to be billed in at the cafe, but not at the 'Expres' checkout......which is anything but expres, given that even having used your numero secreto you STILL have to wait for an assistant to reel out your till receipt and get you to sign - which signature, if pressed, they'll admit isn't obligatorio!!!!!
In UK, IKEA actually make a charge for accepting a credit card payment, with anything but their own credit card. This is clearly stated when you elect to pay by card ... but I was surprised when I bought items in Sevilla with a UK credit card, that the only question I was asked was 'pounds or euros' (I said 'euros') Do IKEA not charge a surcharge (I believe it is 75p in UK) for paying with a credit card in their spanish stores?
Old Aug 5th 2009, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
What would you say if you bought a 1000€`s dress in a shop and they said "Oh card madam that will be 1025€`s then, thank you."
The way to handle that with big ticket items is to pay with credit card anyway so you still have protections offered by the credit card (if there are any), and accept the surcharge. Then when you get home, call the credit card company and dispute the surcharge that you originally agreed to. Because the surcharge violates the merchant agreement, the credit card company rules in the consumer's favor in that case. Then you get the dress for 1000 euros, and also get the free extended warranty protection if the dress falls apart one day after the OEM warranty.

Last edited by jgombos; Aug 5th 2009 at 1:40 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 1:36 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jgombos
The way to handle that with big ticket items is to pay with credit card anyway so you still have protections offered by the credit card (if there are any), and accept the surcharge. Then when you get home, call the credit card company and dispute the surcharge that you originally agreed to. Because the surcharge violates the merchant agreement, the credit card company rules in the consumer's favor in that case. Then you get the for 1000 euros, and also get the free extended warranty protection if the dress falls apart one day after the OEM warranty.
so have you contacted visa about your little problem, then?