Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Where to report tourist scams

Where to report tourist scams

Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:02 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Belgium
Posts: 247
jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice
Default Where to report tourist scams

Suppose a tapas place in a very touristy region of Spain charges your euro credit card in GBP, forcing you to pay two conversions (euro to GBP at the restaurant, then GBP back to euro at your bank).

Is there any kind of government authority to report these scams to?
jgombos is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:04 pm
  #2  
¿Dónde estoy?
 
lynnxa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: my paradise - Jávea
Posts: 13,330
lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to report tourist scams

Originally Posted by jgombos View Post
Suppose a tapas place in a very touristy region of Spain charges your euro credit card in GBP, forcing you to pay two conversions (euro to GBP at the restaurant, then GBP back to euro at your bank).

Is there any kind of government authority to report these scams to?
wouldn't you just do a denuncia?
lynnxa is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:06 pm
  #3  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to report tourist scams

Originally Posted by jgombos View Post
Suppose a tapas place in a very touristy region of Spain charges your euro credit card in GBP, forcing you to pay two conversions (euro to GBP at the restaurant, then GBP back to euro at your bank).

Is there any kind of government authority to report these scams to?
They usually ask if you want to pay in €`s or pounds, you should of told them you wanted to pay in €`s.
jdr is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:12 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Belgium
Posts: 247
jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice
Default Re: Where to report tourist scams

Originally Posted by lynnxa View Post
wouldn't you just do a denuncia?
I'm not sure what that is. In searching around, it seems to be a police report. Can that be filed online, from a different country? I just want them to be reported to an org that looks for patterns of scams (in the US, it would be the attorney general); it's not worth the effort to actually try to recover damages.

Originally Posted by jdr View Post
They usually ask if you want to pay in €`s or pounds, you should of told them you wanted to pay in €`s.
They did not ask (which in itself is a violation of their agreement with visa). I actually spotted it right away, and they insisted that I would not be charged in GBP, and that it's just for "my information".

Why would GBP be an option, using a euro credit card for an invoice in euros in a SEPA region?
jgombos is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:14 pm
  #5  
¿Dónde estoy?
 
lynnxa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: my paradise - Jávea
Posts: 13,330
lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to report tourist scams

Originally Posted by jgombos View Post
I'm not sure what that is. In searching around, it seems to be a police report. Can that be filed online, from a different country? I just want them to be reported to an org that looks for patterns of scams (in the US, it would be the attorney general); it's not worth the effort to actually try to recover damages.



They did not ask (which in itself is a violation of their agreement with visa). I actually spotted it right away, and they insisted that I would not be charged in GBP, and that it's just for "my information".

Why would GBP be an option, using a euro credit card for an invoice in euros in a SEPA region?
some police reports can be done online in some areas - but you still have to go into the guardia to sign it!

in your case couldn't you just speak to Visa?
lynnxa is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:22 pm
  #6  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to report tourist scams

Originally Posted by jgombos View Post
I'm not sure what that is. In searching around, it seems to be a police report. Can that be filed online, from a different country? I just want them to be reported to an org that looks for patterns of scams (in the US, it would be the attorney general); it's not worth the effort to actually try to recover damages.



They did not ask (which in itself is a violation of their agreement with visa). I actually spotted it right away, and they insisted that I would not be charged in GBP, and that it's just for "my information".

Why would GBP be an option, using a euro credit card for an invoice in euros in a SEPA region?
The option is because they assumed you were on holiday from the UK as it was not a Spanish bank card, so you get the choice of €`s or pounds.
Surely you saw it on the slip that you need not of signed ?
jdr is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:23 pm
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 614
pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to report tourist scams

Well, it's not really a scam - as the restaurant or bar doesn't gain anything. It may well be a breakdown in communication, or simply not knowing (either on your part, or on theirs) that there was an option.
I think I saw something about this on t'box last week (One Show? - BBC1). From memory, once you've entered your PIN and pressed ENTER, press ENTER again and you'll get a little known menu to choose the currency for the transaction.
pete_l is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:33 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Belgium
Posts: 247
jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice
Default Re: Where to report tourist scams

Originally Posted by lynnxa View Post
in your case couldn't you just speak to Visa?
Visa is not going to make any kind of public record that this company is scamming people, and create a means to deter them from continuing.

If it were a US card, the issuer would simply refund the small amount out of their own pocket and the vendor wouldn't even know (because the bank would not consider it worthwhile to pursue). Since it's actually a European credit card issuer, my understanding is that card holders have no protections anyway.

Originally Posted by jdr View Post
The option is because they assumed you were on holiday from the UK as it was not a Spanish bank card, so you get the choice of €`s or pounds.
Surely you saw it on the slip that you need not of signed ?
I should add that I don't speak British English either. And as I said, they reassured me before I entered my pin that it was "just for my information". Then after I signed (via PIN) some nasty terms printed out on the credit card receipt saying that I agree that my "election" to pay in GBP is final. I then asked another employee to fix it, and they gave the same bogus answer, telling me it's just for my information and that my card will be charged in euros. Obviously it's a deliberate scam if they've trained their staff to give the same canned bogus response.
jgombos is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:40 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Belgium
Posts: 247
jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice
Default Re: Where to report tourist scams

Originally Posted by pete_l View Post
Well, it's not really a scam - as the restaurant or bar doesn't gain anything.
Of course it's a scam. It's scam even when they choose the same currency that the credit card settles in (if different). It's called dynamic currency conversion (DCC). The idea is that every merchant must pay a fee to visa. So some merchants will charge upwards of 2.5% to convert the currency above and beyond the wholesale exchange rate that the bank pays. This more than recovers their cost of doing business with visa. It's a scheme to pass on their fees to the customer.

Originally Posted by pete_l View Post
It may well be a breakdown in communication,
I was quite clear about not wanting to pay GBP, and they were quite certain that GBP was presented "for my information".
Originally Posted by pete_l View Post
or simply not knowing (either on your part, or on theirs) that there was an option.
This tapas bar is in the center of Barcelona. I'm not the first tourist with a non-spanish bank card they've encountered.
Originally Posted by pete_l View Post
I think I saw something about this on t'box last week (One Show? - BBC1). From memory, once you've entered your PIN and pressed ENTER, press ENTER again and you'll get a little known menu to choose the currency for the transaction.
Once you enter the pin and ok at, that's it. There's no option after the fact.
jgombos is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:42 pm
  #10  
¿Dónde estoy?
 
lynnxa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: my paradise - Jávea
Posts: 13,330
lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to report tourist scams

Originally Posted by pete_l View Post
Well, it's not really a scam - as the restaurant or bar doesn't gain anything. It may well be a breakdown in communication, or simply not knowing (either on your part, or on theirs) that there was an option.
I think I saw something about this on t'box last week (One Show? - BBC1). From memory, once you've entered your PIN and pressed ENTER, press ENTER again and you'll get a little known menu to choose the currency for the transaction.
Originally Posted by jgombos View Post
Visa is not going to make any kind of public record that this company is scamming people, and create a means to deter them from continuing.

If it were a US card, the issuer would simply refund the small amount out of their own pocket and the vendor wouldn't even know (because the bank would not consider it worthwhile to pursue). Since it's actually a European credit card issuer, my understanding is that card holders have no protections anyway.


I should add that I don't speak British English either. And as I said, they reassured me before I entered my pin that it was "just for my information". Then after I signed (via PIN) some nasty terms printed out on the credit card receipt saying that I agree that my "election" to pay in GBP is final. I then asked another employee to fix it, and they gave the same bogus answer, telling me it's just for my information and that my card will be charged in euros. Obviously it's a deliberate scam if they've trained their staff to give the same canned bogus response.
if pete is right - & I suspect he could be, because how would the bar or whatever gain from it (though I'm happy to have it explained to me) - then what would be the point?

are you saying you speak American English? That would make no difference - they would still assume you are a 'brit abroad' if you speak english not spanish - accent would mean nothing to them! If anything - they probably assumed you are Irish!
lynnxa is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:54 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Belgium
Posts: 247
jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice
Default Re: Where to report tourist scams

Originally Posted by lynnxa View Post
if pete is right - & I suspect he could be, because how would the bar or whatever gain from it (though I'm happy to have it explained to me) - then what would be the point?
The gain is 2.5%.. The fee they pay visa is around 1.5%.

Merchants are always looking for angles to get out of the visa fees that they agree to. Some of them will violate their agreement with visa in other ways, like directly charge customers a fee for using credit card, or setting a min. purchase. Visa does not enforce their terms, so merchants will break them.
Originally Posted by lynnxa View Post
are you saying you speak American English? That would make no difference - they would still assume you are a 'brit abroad' if you speak english not spanish - accent would mean nothing to them! If anything - they probably assumed you are Irish!
Europeans whose first language is not English can easily tell American english from British english, even those who have very rough English themselves. No one has ever mistaken me for a brit. In Belgium, the French and Flemish know from just one or two words out of my mouth that I'm speaking American english - why would Catalans not notice the difference?
jgombos is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:59 pm
  #12  
¿Dónde estoy?
 
lynnxa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: my paradise - Jávea
Posts: 13,330
lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to report tourist scams

Originally Posted by jgombos View Post
The gain is 2.5%.. The fee they pay visa is around 1.5%.

Merchants are always looking for angles to get out of the visa fees that they agree to. Some of them will violate their agreement with visa in other ways, like directly charge customers a fee for using credit card, or setting a min. purchase. Visa does not enforce their terms, so merchants will break them.
so are you saying they get it twice?

Originally Posted by jgombos View Post
Europeans whose first language is not English can easily tell American english from British english, even those who have very rough English themselves. No one has ever mistaken me for a brit. In Belgium, the French and Flemish know from just one or two words out of my mouth that I'm speaking American english - why would Catalans not notice the difference?

sorry can't agree - not all can

I teach English to Spanish people & they are rarely able to differentiate between some accents - & as I said - the common mistake is to confuse Irish with American!

Of course having not heard you - maybe your accent is really clear!
lynnxa is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 6:34 pm
  #13  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Belgium
Posts: 247
jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice
Default Re: Where to report tourist scams

Originally Posted by lynnxa View Post
so are you saying they get it twice?
The merchant charges one conversion, and the clients bank charges another if it's converted improperly. The merchant does not benefit from any conversions on the other side, but they don't need to, because 2.5% still exceeds 1.5%.
jgombos is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 7:14 pm
  #14  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to report tourist scams

Originally Posted by jgombos View Post
The merchant charges one conversion, and the clients bank charges another if it's converted improperly. The merchant does not benefit from any conversions on the other side, but they don't need to, because 2.5% still exceeds 1.5%.
Am I the only one being confused here ?

They gave you the bill, you chose to pay by credit card, you signed it or entered your pin, so your fault whether it is a scam or not.

Anyway use cash, people like you make me, who pay by cash pay more for my goods as the card cost is added into the total to cover their costs.
jdr is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 7:16 pm
  #15  
¿Dónde estoy?
 
lynnxa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: my paradise - Jávea
Posts: 13,330
lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to report tourist scams

Originally Posted by jdr View Post
Am I the only one being confused here ?

They gave you the bill, you chose to pay by credit card, you signed it or entered your pin, so your fault whether it is a scam or not.

Anyway use cash, people like you make me, who pay by cash pay more for my goods as the card cost is added into the total to cover their costs.
glad it's not just me!
lynnxa is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.