Reload this Page >

Where to move to in Spain??

Where to move to in Spain??

Old Nov 23rd 2010, 7:11 am
Account Closed

Fleurette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to move to in Spain??

Hi all!
I'm actually in Malaga studying Spanish at uni until the end of May. So far it's nice and everything and I like Malaga, however, I'm thinking about moving to another city in June, so I can travel a bit and see more of Spain. Somewhere I can get a job, in a hotel or other Spanish speaking environment (I really really want to speak Spanish!).
So my question to you all is, which cities do you guys recommend? Somewhere safe for a single foreign lady. I prefer coastal places.
Thanks for your help!
Fleurette.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 9:19 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Where to move to in Spain??

I'm waiting for the arguments to start on this one already. I bet it ends up in England V Spain. Fleurette, I suggest Madrid. I've never been but it's where I would go. It sounds divine.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 2:19 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lushdaddy
I'm waiting for the arguments to start on this one already. I bet it ends up in England V Spain. Fleurette, I suggest Madrid. I've never been but it's where I would go. It sounds divine.
Why would you say that ... it's not the OP's question so pse dont start a different discussion
Old Nov 25th 2010, 2:55 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleurette
Hi all!
I'm actually in Malaga studying Spanish at uni until the end of May. So far it's nice and everything and I like Malaga, however, I'm thinking about moving to another city in June, so I can travel a bit and see more of Spain. Somewhere I can get a job, in a hotel or other Spanish speaking environment (I really really want to speak Spanish!).
So my question to you all is, which cities do you guys recommend? Somewhere safe for a single foreign lady. I prefer coastal places.
Thanks for your help!
Fleurette.
I think Valencia might fit the bill nicely.
Plenty of things of interest old and new.
Nice surrounding country areas and lovely beaches.
Good location for travel in all directions,..
Barcelona and Castillon to the North.
Benidorm and Alicante to the South.
The Balearics just a short ferry ride to the East.
Madrid one and a half hours to the West on the new fast train.

Though best take care in that direction, as there's a wicked rumour going around that the Dingles are moving in.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

PensionPot is an unknown quantity at this point

Valencia has got it all, personally I'm a bit firther out, but I'm need the peace and quiet..
Old Nov 25th 2010, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

What about Gandia. Not big,around 60000 people but only a train ride to Valencia.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 10:10 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
What about Gandia. Not big,around 60000 people but only a train ride to Valencia.
Nearer 80K population actually
Old Nov 26th 2010, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

raddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Nearer 80K population actually
Out of interest is that a year round population?
Old Nov 26th 2010, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

raddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Fleurette
Hi all!
Thanks for your help!
Fleurette.
Personally I really like Alicante. It has an international airport and soon to have a high speed rail link to Madrid. Plenty of Hotels and a lively nightlife if you're into that sort of thing and a good beach on the doorstep.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

removalizer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by raddickle
Personally I really like Alicante. It has an international airport and soon to have a high speed rail link to Madrid. Plenty of Hotels and a lively nightlife if you're into that sort of thing and a good beach on the doorstep.
Alicante is good especially if you want a cheap flight to Blackpool for a Hen Night
Old Nov 26th 2010, 12:06 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by raddickle
Out of interest is that a year round population?

I would think so, the way it is expressed on sites is as THE population of Gandia, as opposed to a population that rises and falls in the summer / winter
Old Nov 26th 2010, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

Fleurette is an unknown quantity at this point

OK thanks to you all! I still have no idea though... I think I will just send my CV to every possible place and see what response I get from that really...! Thanks!!
Old Nov 27th 2010, 4:20 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lushdaddy
I don't know about divine, but it's normally the best place to get work (certainly in the teaching English field). There may well be hotel vacancies, as tourist numbers continue to rise - October was the best ever for the city, an increase of 9.72% on the previous year Madrid report (Spanish) However I don't know the best way to get into this industry; I wonder if turning up and "knocking on doors" is the best way. I've seen plenty of south Americans, Bulgarians, Roumanians even Russians working in the hospitality industry in Spain but not Brits (outside of the own bar field). Not sure that this is entirely down to an aversion to learn the language.. Moreover the OP stated she was looking for somewhere close to the sea.
If your cv mailing exercise pays off, I'm hoping you get a chance to work in somewhere like Gijon or La Corunna. However I suspect you'll have to try somewhere like Valencia, and as the other posters have pointed out it's a fine city to be based in. Good luck!
Old Nov 28th 2010, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

ripcantrell will become famous soon enough

I would give Alicante a go as well. I used to live further north in Denia but I read an article about some english ird of the radio who settled in Alicante because it offered a good mix of everything. I expect Madrids like London with the same kind of social problems.

So Alicante for me