Where to Live?

Old Mar 20th 2011, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where to Live?

Originally Posted by betris
what has it got going for its self.
You are the one that made the outrageous statement.

Maybe you can support it with something substantial.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 2:14 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianTO

Probably not.

Graham
Old Mar 20th 2011, 2:16 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nic43
New to the forum and would like to canvas opinion.

British national but have been living in the Caribbean & South America. Now looking to return to Europe for family reasons. Spain is my preferrred location because of the language and the weather. Anybody have an opinion on the best part of Spain to start looking.

My budget is reasononable, I work on-line so no work issues . Prefer small towns to cities. I have young wife & children. Would like to be near the coast for sailing scuba beaches etc and near to a friendly ex-pat community. I know what I'm looking for but its a big country and I need a few suggestions.
Have you thought about the Canaries or would they be too small?

Graham
Old Mar 20th 2011, 2:29 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianTO

why is it outrageous.you have a marina where any one with a boat sails away.you have portugal over the river where every one with a bit of nowse goes for a better time.you have gridlock with traffic in the summer because there is only one main road in or out.you have two squares and some shops,cafes,bars ect.Go any were else and you have treble that or more.you cant move for portuguise trying to save a bit of vat.and ex pats sitting in the cafes thinking they have sudenly become spanish.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 4:35 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
SSHHHHHH I know where you mean but I wont let on that it is

TORREVIEJA or Torreveccia as it is often called
Grass.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:13 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Grass.
Are you offering certain substances on a BE forum, I dont think the mods will approve.......
Old Mar 20th 2011, 7:09 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Are you offering certain substances on a BE forum, I dont think the mods will approve.......
Illegal substances for sale in Torre? You get them for free with an Americano, and if you have a menu del dia, they give you a happy bag for a sweet.

But you don’t need any of that, just walk the length of Bar Street on a Friday night and you’ll be bouncing along.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Palmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud of

there are some nice places to choose in the costa de la luz. you can be close to beaches, half hr from sevilla, huelva, near towns, the choice is yours. if you want expat community, i am sure you'll be recommended a few. if you want spanish living, then the choice is yours.

I live 15min to beaches, 40min sevilla, 30min huelva, 5mins town. great places nearby, great schools, predominantly spanish tho a few expats dotted around.

just depends what you're looking for really.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 7:47 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Illegal substances for sale in Torre? You get them for free with an Americano, and if you have a menu del dia, they give you a happy bag for a sweet.

But you don’t need any of that, just walk the length of Bar Street on a Friday night and you’ll be bouncing along.

I have been there quite a few times, a few good mates from Uk have places in torre itself, or quite near by, La Zenia and thereabouts. We were down in the "pink port" the other week, very quiet.

But according to my mates mum who has lived there for about 12 years, she say that there is a good social scene down there.
With plenty of things to do for a single person, she is divorced and loves it there.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 8:43 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Costa de la Luz is pretty good.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 8:52 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think we’ve discussed it many times before, but why not again, it’s probably the most important factor for people moving to Spain. Lonely fincas may appeal to some people, or totally Spanish towns where you don’t understand what people are saying to you, or wind-swept coasts where you choke on the sand, but surely most of us want to have some sort of social life, similar to what we’re used to?

JLFS mentioned a friend enjoying a vibrant social life in a typical expat area. That’s the kind of area I live in, I’ve tried the rest and this is where I’m happiest.

I don’t join in that much, but have a wide circle of like-minded friends, we want to live in Spain, we love the excitement of a foreign country, most of us are quite fluent in the language, but if we occasionally fancy fish and chips we don’t want to drive fifty miles to have it.

If I wanted to, even in an expat area, I could easily ensure that I would never meet another expat and totally immerse myself in Spanish culture. I don’t want to do that and I’ve tried it, I love Spain but want it both ways, Spain and where I come from, and I’ve found it, right here in Torrevieja.

To be fair, I found it in Estepona too, and Denia, and Javea, and (the faint hearted should cover their ears) in Benidorm.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I think we’ve discussed it many times before, but why not again, it’s probably the most important factor for people moving to Spain. Lonely fincas may appeal to some people, or totally Spanish towns where you don’t understand what people are saying to you, or wind-swept coasts where you choke on the sand, but surely most of us want to have some sort of social life, similar to what we’re used to?

JLFS mentioned a friend enjoying a vibrant social life in a typical expat area. That’s the kind of area I live in, I’ve tried the rest and this is where I’m happiest.

I don’t join in that much, but have a wide circle of like-minded friends, we want to live in Spain, we love the excitement of a foreign country, most of us are quite fluent in the language, but if we occasionally fancy fish and chips we don’t want to drive fifty miles to have it.

If I wanted to, even in an expat area, I could easily ensure that I would never meet another expat and totally immerse myself in Spanish culture. I don’t want to do that and I’ve tried it, I love Spain but want it both ways, Spain and where I come from, and I’ve found it, right here in Torrevieja.

To be fair, I found it in Estepona too, and Denia, and Javea, and (the faint hearted should cover their ears) in Benidorm.
I'll second that ... re. Denia.