Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Where do you get wood ?????

Where do you get wood ?????

Old Oct 19th 2006, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light
Question Where do you get wood ?????

Buenos

Hiya moved out to Spain in June......hot hot hot !!!!

But now...only now starting to take on board what alot of peeps have told us, it gets REALLY cold in the winter.

So need to start thinking about heating, we have a wood burner so have been advised to get LOADS of wood in for the winter months before prices rocket.
Also we have 2 small children so need to think of ways of heating there bedrooms....gas heaters like my nan used have maybe ?

Any advice would be much appreciated !! The cheaper the better.......

Cheers Chaps and Chappesses
Old Oct 19th 2006, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Lis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to all
Default Re: Where do you get wood ?????

Don't worry, wood (lena) places spring up from nowhere on odd corners of land as soon as the demand starts, end of this month or November and disappear as quickly in March or so. Make sure you allow several days now after this rain for the wood to dry out as most is stored in the open. You just take your car and load up the boot. Round here prices are per wheelbarrow load. They don't seem to change over the year so no hurry but do make sure you point at the log size you want or you can get given pieces far too large/small especially at the end of the season when they are tryiong to get rid of it all. Any garden shop will sell kindling or bags of logs but at inflated prices.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lis48
Don't worry, wood (lena) places spring up from nowhere on odd corners of land as soon as the demand starts, end of this month or November and disappear as quickly in March or so. Make sure you allow several days now after this rain for the wood to dry out as most is stored in the open. You just take your car and load up the boot. Round here prices are per wheelbarrow load. They don't seem to change over the year so no hurry but do make sure you point at the log size you want or you can get given pieces far too large/small especially at the end of the season when they are tryiong to get rid of it all. Any garden shop will sell kindling or bags of logs but at inflated prices.

Oh thanks for that......geez, best hire a van ey ?
We have only a small hole to store wood goodness knows where we are are gonna store the rest ...oh well....part of the learning process I guess....when it rained the first time, we were surprised and had lots of stuff in the naya that wasn't covered...doh !
Old Oct 19th 2006, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Gadget is an unknown quantity at this point

I live just south of Alicante and there are many companies advertising the sale of Léna. I usually order a ton at a time and they deliver it and tip it into the drive. Fortunately I have a sotano, where I can store it.

I asked around with other people in the area (that I knew also had a wood burning stove) to see who they used and which was the best quality of wood.

Cheers

Gadget
Old Oct 19th 2006, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gadget
I live just south of Alicante and there are many companies advertising the sale of Léna. I usually order a ton at a time and they deliver it and tip it into the drive. Fortunately I have a sotano, where I can store it.

I asked around with other people in the area (that I knew also had a wood burning stove) to see who they used and which was the best quality of wood.

Cheers

Gadget

Thanks for that Gadget.....will ask around. Better polish up on the lingo tho
Old Oct 19th 2006, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Also we have 2 small children so need to think of ways of heating there bedrooms....gas heaters like my nan used have maybe ?

Cheers Chaps and Chappesses[/QUOTE]

I would be careful using the gas heaters, if you have an older house and the bedrooms have ceilings that are direct to the roof, they probably have no insulation,so if you use gas heaters which effectively produce something like a ltr of water for every kilo of gas you burn, which then condenses back during the night when the heaters are off as the room cools down, and you could end up with everything in the room covered with dew in the morning!!. living in a damp nightmare!! Parafin is similar. Dry heat sources are best. or hopefully the woodburner gives enough heat for the whole house.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz

Cheers Chaps and Chappesses
I would be careful using the gas heaters, if you have an older house and the bedrooms have ceilings that are direct to the roof, they probably have no insulation,so if you use gas heaters which effectively produce something like a ltr of water for every kilo of gas you burn, which then condenses back during the night when the heaters are off as the room cools down, and you could end up with everything in the room covered with dew in the morning!!. living in a damp nightmare!! Parafin is similar. Dry heat sources are best. or hopefully the woodburner gives enough heat for the whole house.[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for that, yeah we live in a townhouse which have very high ceilings directly to the roof like you mentioned. Def look into dry heaters as we know a couple who live in a casita who had "damp" problems which meant they threw out loads of stuff that got ruined.

It's little things you could miss that would cause sooooo many probs.

Really appreciate your advice.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Gadget is an unknown quantity at this point

We also have air con/heaters in the bedrooms and only put them on for half an hour to an hour before we go to bed. We find this more than adequate in winter. If it gets cold over night you can also put them on in the mornings before you get out of bed. If you have kept your log burner on over night, by keeping it very low (reducing the air through it) it will still be warm in the morning and take 2 secs to get it going really hot again.

We also have a small infra red heaters in the bathrooms, which are out on for half an hour before we shower or bath.

Oil fille radiators are also very useful but can be high KW, which can trip the electrics.

As you can tell, I like to keep warm, but these measures are only really needed in the very worst parts of winter over here, the log burners do heat a lot of the house with a very nice dry air

Cheers

Gadget