Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What is there a shortage of?

What is there a shortage of?

Old Oct 13th 2006, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

calum141 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is there a shortage of?

I'm a student just taking my GCSEs now and wondering - what is there a shortage of Spain? I deffo have my ambitions set to move to Spain at 25. I am learning the language to the day I go.

I don't fancy being a plumber, but fancy doing something like running a buisness of some sort as well as doing self-employed construction work (e.g joiner/carpenter) or something similar.

What would you suggest would be a good choice of apprentichip or something?
Old Oct 13th 2006, 5:40 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is there a shortage of?

Originally Posted by calum141
I'm a student just taking my GCSEs now and wondering - what is there a shortage of Spain? I deffo have my ambitions set to move to Spain at 25. I am learning the language to the day I go.

I don't fancy being a plumber, but fancy doing something like running a buisness of some sort as well as doing self-employed construction work (e.g joiner/carpenter) or something similar.

All the construction industries are different to the UK, carpenters are almost unheard of cos of the cost of timber here. Probably the only wood used is for doors and frames.
Take a plumbing course and do pressured systems in it, there are loads of plumbers needed, but once again all the plumbing is different although with UK training you should cope alright.
All the pipework is in the floors or walls and baths are bricked in , they dont know what bath panels are so makes it difficult for repairs.
Unless you speak fluent Spanish you will only get work from English speaking clients.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Umm, yeah motivates me a little..

Is there buisness for bricklaying, fitting systems etc? e.g swimming pools, kitchens, baths etc?

Yup I'm gonna learn flequent Spanish
Old Oct 13th 2006, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

caroig is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd go for solar power/alternative energies - there's a new law that requires these to be installed on all new dwellings and I think there's an official certifacte you can get as installer. Definately a growth industry.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 8:02 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

The area you choose to live in affects what type of shortage there is. Eg, the big cities such as Madrid and Barcelona have different shortages than the expat populated costas. Where were you thinking of living?
Old Oct 13th 2006, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

kpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nicekpw4v is just really nice

Water divining
Old Oct 13th 2006, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

I'd stay away from the Big Cities. Possibilly Costa Blanca or Andalucia (inland of course) near coast maybe..
Old Oct 18th 2006, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Any current expats advise further??
Old Oct 18th 2006, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

CDL Ben will become famous soon enoughCDL Ben will become famous soon enough

Any current expats advise further??
If you are just doing your GCSE's I guess that makes you 16 and you plan to move here when you are 25. That is some 9 years away and the place you choose or the field you wish to enter in to will have changed massively in that time. The construction boom is set to be well and truly over by then so I'd suggest moving away from that area.

My advice would be to get as many skills as you can between now and when you decide to come, in order to broaden your horizons. Then thoroughly investigate the area you want to go to and see what is in demand. If you have a large skill set it is more likely you will be abke to find something which you enjoy.

keep up the Spanish though
Old Oct 20th 2006, 6:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cdlcaretaking
If you are just doing your GCSE's I guess that makes you 16 and you plan to move here when you are 25. That is some 9 years away and the place you choose or the field you wish to enter in to will have changed massively in that time. The construction boom is set to be well and truly over by then so I'd suggest moving away from that area.

My advice would be to get as many skills as you can between now and when you decide to come, in order to broaden your horizons. Then thoroughly investigate the area you want to go to and see what is in demand. If you have a large skill set it is more likely you will be abke to find something which you enjoy.

keep up the Spanish though
Cheers for that advice