Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Where is the best place in Spain to get work for british people? ADVICE WANTED!!!

Where is the best place in Spain to get work for british people? ADVICE WANTED!!!

Old Dec 19th 2008, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where is the best place in Spain to get work for british people? ADVICE WANTED!!!

Originally Posted by spain
I think you have answered your own question there then !!! there isnt much work about full stop.....Brits will be last in the queue especially those without a trade and that dont speak Spanish... if I were you Spainboy I would listen to those who are actually out there in the work place(in Spain) who can give you advice based on fact rather than those who know someone who knows someone if you kno what I mean

I wish you well, living in Spain can be great but it can also be totally miserable if you have no work/money and need to earn a living here.....going back to UK may be your only option
Thanks Spain.

I think I did answer my own question.Unless your young who will take on a bit of bar propping or you are retired with a fairly decent pension in then the life over here is great. But now im in my 30's and have spent a few years over here of 'the good life' its brought me to the conclusion I will never get any further in life if I wish to stay here. At least in the uk(although how rubbish it is there) I think there will be more opportunities for me to actually do something even if I struggle for the first couple of years.

A few people on here have summed it up today for me by saying there is work in england for those that are willing to go out and find it. Some people who rely on income support back home choose this option.

If I can get a good career behind me then there is nothing stopping me coming back to enjoy the latter years of my life in Spain in 25-30 years time.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is the best place in Spain to get work for british people? ADVICE WANTED!!!

Originally Posted by spainboy
Ive found another thread named "leaving Spain...why?" which gives good thoughts on why some people are leaving Spain and the potential this country has/hasnt got to offer.!!!

Sort of made up my mind really.(for now)

Been there done that (thinking about the T-shirt), got the slap on the wrist.......
Old Dec 19th 2008, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainboy
If I can get a good career behind me then there is nothing stopping me coming back to enjoy the latter years of my life in Spain in 25-30 years time.

exactly, you have tried it and had an experience of living in Spain that others only dream of

we are returning too (next week, we are 38 & 37) and I have looked on the job centre website http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/jcp/index.html there are lots of jobs and I still believe that if you want to work you will find something, it might not be ideal to start with but you certainly have more options in UK than you do here
Old Dec 19th 2008, 5:48 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

You are doing the right thing Spain and Spainboy.
There are more opportunites in the UK. For building a career Spain is not the place for that. There is no chance for promotion as most firms run by not giveing contracts, make the employees go self employed, and only give very few hours to the workers.
This is not a basis to build a family and support your nearest and dearest.
Spain is a great place to retire to.
I am finding it hard to settle as I miss the UK and I am Spanish. So I can understand the yearning to go home.
Get back to what you know, get back to your proper jobs, and enjoy Spain as a holiday destination, then as you say, further down the line, maybe retirement.
Good luck to all in the same position.

regards.

JLFS
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Spainboy
Sorry I haven't been constructive about the UK - I have been down with the 'flu. Feel better now so..
I cannot remember, but have you a family?
Try the housing associations. They are being given extra grant funding for social purposes. THey would probably at best put you on a waiting list, BUT they also have handyman jobs and some of them have Direct Labour Organisations. I accept it is a long shot, but you never know. They are also often looking for people with people skills and languages as trainee housing officers. And it can be very well paid.
Secondly, keep your ears open around the retails sector. Woolies will now close all its branches in January. That means from January on there will be 800 or so prime high street sites up for grabs. Tescos and the other supermarkets are prime candidates but there will be a dark horse buyer or two. Just keep your ear to the ground.
Thirdly - the pub chains are always looking for new managers. From what I understand it is very badly paid, and they take any extra profit you make, but it would get you started and established.
Fourthly _ IMO the next year will be the darkest and then the UK will be on the up again.
Good luck!