Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

When We Arrive In Spain?

When We Arrive In Spain?

Old Jul 11th 2005, 12:40 pm
Mortgage Wizard

Gill Stevens is an unknown quantity at this point
Question When We Arrive In Spain?

We wondered if anyone can give us answers to the following questions ready for when we come to live in Spain (not to long now):-

1. Where would we get a jet wash from and what sort of price would we be looking at for a decent pressured one?
2. Where do we get mosquito screens from for our windows plus approx cost?
3. Where do we get a full length grill from for our front door and how much can we expect to pay?
4. Are gas barbecues available and if so, any idea on price for a decent one. If we bought one here would the attachment fit a spanish gas bottle?
5. We wish to purchase a large (really big) plastic storage unit for our solarium. Where is the best place to get one and approx price?
6. Are there DIY stores in Costa Blanca (south) or Costa Calida or are they just taking off there?
7. Are calor gas heaters available in Spain and if so approx cost plus approx cost of gas bottles for them plus where do we get them from?
8. Are oil filled radiators available in Spain and if so approx cost and where do we get them from?
9. We want to take out some life cover when we get to Spain. Where is the best place to get a competitive quote?
10. Is it possible to purchase english paperback books from anywhere?
11. Are there still problems with obtaining NIE numbers? Is it better to go inland to a national police station to do it where it might be quieter?

Look forward to receiving assistance if anyone knows the answers to the above?

Old Jul 11th 2005, 2:33 pm
What mysterious smile?

La Joconde is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When We Arrive In Spain?

Trying to answer some of your questions:

1. Where would we get a jet wash from and what sort of price would we be looking at for a decent pressured one?
- You can buy these at places like Carrefour / Eroski , Mercadona etc.. or your local Ferreterias
I believe ours cost around 20-25 euros

- Your local window maker or cristallero (glazier) usually supply these or will know a person who can

3. Where do we get a full length grill from for our front door and how much can we expect to pay?
- Grills are made by your local ironmonger. Sorry Dont know the price

4. Are gas barbecues available and if so, any idea on price for a decent one. If we bought one here would the attachment fit a Spanish gas bottle?
- BBQs are quite expensive here anything from euros 250 (there are very cheap ones, but there are not great quality) to over 900 euros
I saw a gas one for 492 euros
Dont know about the gas bottle attachments

5. We wish to purchase a large (really big) plastic storage unit for our solarium. Where is the best place to get one and approx price?
- DIY shops should sell these, again Carrefour, Eroski, Mercadona have a household DIY section

6. Are there DIY stores in Costa Blanca (south) or Costa Calida or are they just taking off there?
- Yes many, LeRoy Merlin situated just outside Alicante is a huge complex, believe that they are building more around the coast, in the meantime there are many BricoMan large-ish stores scattered around the coast

7. Are calor gas heaters available in Spain and if so approx cost plus approx cost of gas bottles for them plus where do we get them from?
- There are many types of gas heaters available, a gas bottle cost around 9.30euros

8. Are oil filled radiators available in Spain and if so approx cost and where do we get them from?

- Yes Oil filled radiators are available, they can be purchased through Electrico Domestico shops or from Carrefour, Eroski, Mercadona

9. We want to take out some life cover when we get to Spain. Where is the best place to get a competitive quote?

- Your bank can offer such cover, or your local insurance company, as well as many companies advertising in various newspapers such as the Costa Blanca and CB Friday newspapers and many more

10. Is it possible to purchase English paperback books from anywhere?

- There are several English book shops scattered around the coast as well as in-land, many charities shops have them as well

11. Are there still problems with obtaining NIE numbers? Is it better to go inland to a national police station to do it where it might be quieter?

- As far as I am aware there are no problems obtaining NIE nos. Although it depends where you are going to live, as you should apply in the area where you home address will be

This is only a start, I am sure that others will be able to give you more in depth assistance/recommendations on any of the above, but I thought I would start things off. Hope this is of some help.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 8:01 pm
Mortgage Wizard

Gill Stevens is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by La Joconde
Trying to answer some of your questions:

- You can buy these at places like Carrefour / Eroski , Mercadona etc.. or your local Ferreterias
I believe ours cost around 20-25 euros

- Your local window maker or cristallero (glazier) usually supply these or will know a person who can

- Grills are made by your local ironmonger. Sorry Dont know the price

4. Are gas barbecues available and if so, any idea on price for a decent one. If we bought one here would the attachment fit a Spanish gas bottle?
- BBQs are quite expensive here anything from euros 250 (there are very cheap ones, but there are not great quality) to over 900 euros
I saw a gas one for 492 euros
Dont know about the gas bottle attachments

- DIY shops should sell these, again Carrefour, Eroski, Mercadona have a household DIY section

- Yes many, LeRoy Merlin situated just outside Alicante is a huge complex, believe that they are building more around the coast, in the meantime there are many BricoMan large-ish stores scattered around the coast

- There are many types of gas heaters available, a gas bottle cost around 9.30euros

- Yes Oil filled radiators are available, they can be purchased through Electrico Domestico shops or from Carrefour, Eroski, Mercadona

- Your bank can offer such cover, or your local insurance company, as well as many companies advertising in various newspapers such as the Costa Blanca and CB Friday newspapers and many more

10. Is it possible to purchase English paperback books from anywhere?

- There are several English book shops scattered around the coast as well as in-land, many charities shops have them as well

- As far as I am aware there are no problems obtaining NIE nos. Although it depends where you are going to live, as you should apply in the area where you home address will be

This is only a start, I am sure that others will be able to give you more in depth assistance/recommendations on any of the above, but I thought I would start things off. Hope this is of some help.

Many thanks La Jaconde - you have answered a fair few of the questions. Hopefully the rest will be answered for us.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 10:16 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gill Stevens
Many thanks La Jaconde - you have answered a fair few of the questions. Hopefully the rest will be answered for us.
The Spanish word for the grills is Rejas.

My top anti crime tip and I speak from experience. If you have those outside power points. Disconnect them. Theiving toe rags have been known to use your own power supply to cut through them. Talk about adding insult...
Old Jul 12th 2005, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gill Stevens
10. Is it possible to purchase english paperback books from anywhere?

Look forward to receiving assistance if anyone knows the answers to the above?

For books (and DVDs and CDs) I now use www.play.com. The book service is a comparatively recent addition, but I've used all 3 in Spain. Delivery here is reasonable and delivery costs are included in their (v. good) prices. Certainly comparable to Amazon, which charges a huge amount for delivery.

I've used Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon marketplace (independent dealers) on occasion and also CD-Wow for DVDs/CDs. Generally, I do a comparison to find out which deals are cheaper overall, depending upon what I'm buying and if I'm taking a trip to the UK, I might arrange for a bundle of things to be sent to a UK address to save Europe postage.

With all these, I've only had statistically minor problems with non-arrival (1 DVD from the States) and 1 return due to a fault where I had to prompt them for the extra postage.

Overall, it's a lot better than trying to find what you want locally or buying in bulk when in the UK.