Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

When is illegal, illegal?

When is illegal, illegal?

Old Oct 23rd 2007, 9:09 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default When is illegal, illegal?

Prompted by some comments on another thread I was wondering what you would do if you knew someone was doing something that was clearly against the law?

Would you do the right thing?

Would you keep quiet and just think that since its not hurting you in anyway so why would you get involved.....

hell, you may be someone who is breaking the law, and don't see anything wrong with it.

Come on, lest have your views, is ignoring a law simply an arrogant way of picking and choosing what laws apply and pertain to you or is it a genuine attempt to make a statement about something you don't agree with...

and if that is the case, where does it end?
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When is illegal, illegal?

I don't involve myself in what others are doing and I think most people will react according to their upbringing. I was always taught to keep my nose out of other peoples business and I tend to stick to that now.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 9:56 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Ala.Code 1975 § 13A-12-200.2 (a)(1)
“It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly distribute, possess with intent to distribute, or offer or agree to distribute any obscene material or any device designed or marketed as useful primarily for the stimulation of human genital organs for any thing of pecuniary value.”
Old Oct 24th 2007, 6:58 am
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

"Where am I?"
"In the Village."
"What do you want?"
"Information."
"Whose side are you on?"
"That would be telling.... We want information. Information! INFORMATION!"
"You won't get it."
"By hook or by crook, we will."
"Who are you?"
"The new Number Two."
"Who is Number One?"
"You are Number Six."
"I am not a number — I am a free man!"
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:12 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what it was and if it affected me.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 12:02 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

we almost all do it. we see illegal cars, we don't report them, we see people depositing litter, letting their dogs foul the pavements etc. Wenever report them, even though we think SOMEONE should
Old Oct 24th 2007, 12:26 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

You drive one kph over the limit and you're committing an illegal act. And you've probably already done that today.

But the question of legal and illegal is a complex one.

For example....I'm riding along on my legal (well, legal everywhere in the world except in Spain....but only after 3 months of course) Brit plate bike and I see a number of re-plated Brit cars. But they're RHD.
Now....they're totally administratively legal.....yet the driver is positioned on the wrong side of the car to overtake properly without swinging most of the car in the face of oncoming traffic.
Similarly, when he's at a road junction he's on the wrong side of the car to be able to get a clear view of the traffic he's trying to join.
Check out the figures for RHD vehicles involved in accidents here....there's no doubt there's an increased risk of an accident.
Yet the irony is that even though the element of risk is higher to the occupants of the car, and other road users....it's 100% legal.
Why is it legal? Cos they paid their taxes and import duties.
Why is my bike illegal? After all, there's no safety situation like with RHD cars, my speedometer is miles and kilometres, and I've got a beam deflector on the headlight. It's illegal administratively simply because of the yellow plate on the back, and my refusal to comply with their game of blatant extortion.
So who's the badass here? Me by not paying their invented taxes, or the people with RHD cars who potentially put everybody at risk?
Old Oct 24th 2007, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by XTreme
You drive one kph over the limit and you're committing an illegal act. And you've probably already done that today.

But the question of legal and illegal is a complex one.

For example....I'm riding along on my legal (well, legal everywhere in the world except in Spain....but only after 3 months of course) Brit plate bike and I see a number of re-plated Brit cars. But they're RHD.
Now....they're totally administratively legal.....yet the driver is positioned on the wrong side of the car to overtake properly without swinging most of the car in the face of oncoming traffic.
Similarly, when he's at a road junction he's on the wrong side of the car to be able to get a clear view of the traffic he's trying to join.
Check out the figures for RHD vehicles involved in accidents here....there's no doubt there's an increased risk of an accident.
Yet the irony is that even though the element of risk is higher to the occupants of the car, and other road users....it's 100% legal.
Why is it legal? Cos they paid their taxes and import duties.
Why is my bike illegal? After all, there's no safety situation like with RHD cars, my speedometer is miles and kilometres, and I've got a beam deflector on the headlight. It's illegal administratively simply because of the yellow plate on the back, and my refusal to comply with their game of blatant extortion.
So who's the badass here? Me by not paying their invented taxes, or the people with RHD cars who potentially put everybody at risk?
Badass RHD vehicle driver but illegal afraid it's you!
Old Oct 24th 2007, 3:07 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Matt, your question is very general and completely loaded.

Against the law?

What law in particular?

Spanish law?
English law?
European law?
International law?
Religious laws?

....and what do you mean when you say the right thing?

If I saw a child, defenseless person or animal being mistreated/abused, yes I would report it to the authorites. Even try to help there and then.

If I saw a robbery taking place, then yes I would report it.

If I saw a hungry individual stealing a loaf of bread, I would not.

If someone intentionally hurt a person I loved, I would probably break the law myself...

Now as far as "illegal" cars and bikes are concerned (if that is what your post is about).....well, I'm not going to kill myself running to the police station to report it, no!
Old Oct 24th 2007, 4:15 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnM
Matt, your question is very general and completely loaded.

Now as far as "illegal" cars and bikes are concerned (if that is what your post is about).....well, I'm not going to kill myself running to the police station to report it, no!
So is driving a bike illegally against the law or not?

Or doesn't it count because its bikes?
Old Oct 24th 2007, 4:29 pm
MnM

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
So is driving a bike illegally against the law or not?

Or doesn't it count because its bikes?
Our bike is on Spanish plates and therefore legal in Spain.

As for other bikes and cars, there are loads of them on foreign plates in this area. I don't know which ones are legal and which ones are not and I'm definitely not going to stop them and ask.

Are you legal in everything you do?

I seem to remember reading on one of the threads that occassionally you take black money (when it's a small job and not too much money is involved). Is that not illegal? Or is it just because it's small amounts, it's ok?
Old Oct 24th 2007, 4:35 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by MnM
Our bike is on Spanish plates and therefore legal in Spain.

As for other bikes and cars, there are loads of them on foreign plates in this area. I don't know which ones are legal and which ones are not and I'm definitely not going to stop them and ask.

Are you legal in everything you do?

I seem to remember reading on one of the threads that occassionally you take black money (when it's a small job and not too much money is involved). Is that not illegal? Or is it just because it's small amounts, it's ok?
Actually, I argued against taking "black" money, and I have almost phased it out completely.

am I legal in all other aspects?
Yeah, have I always been?
No, and I will admit that I have had a very mis-spent youth, and have had more to do with the law and legal system than, I dare say, most on here, but that said, I am a transformed person, and I don't like to think about others breaking the law.

MnM, I would hazard a guess that if we were talking about illegal cars we wouldn't even be talking.

Last edited by rugbymatt; Oct 24th 2007 at 4:39 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 4:36 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

At the end of the day this bike (or car) thing boils down to:

If I am wandering down the road in Oliva and some Brit with an illegally plated vehicle runs me down and cripples me ........ am I going to be able to sue the driver / insurance company. Or are the insurance company going to sit down (as they do), look very carefully at the facts, and refuse to pay out on a technicality because they find someone is a resident with UK plates, even if said vehicle is owned by someone else or whatever, or its not MOT'd etc etc

When there is an accident these things are scrutinised by lawyers and experts ..... so we only find out theres a problem when I'm in a wheelchair with no compensation. Thats my opinion.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 4:46 pm
MnM

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Actually, I argued against taking "black" money, and I have almost phased it out completely.

am I legal in all other aspects?
Yeah, have I always been?
No, and I will admit that I have had a very mis-spent youth, and have had more to do with the law and legal system than, I dare say, most on here, but that said, I am a transformed person, and I don't like to think about others breaking the law.

MnM, I would hazard a guess that if we were talking about illegal cars we wouldn't even be talking.[/
Your original post was about people breaking the law and about reporting it.

I asked a few questions. The only statement you replied to was my comment on the bikes, so you're probably right.

Last edited by MnM; Oct 24th 2007 at 6:12 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 4:54 pm
MnM

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
At the end of the day this bike (or car) thing boils down to:

If I am wandering down the road in Oliva and some Brit with an illegally plated vehicle runs me down and cripples me ........ am I going to be able to sue the driver / insurance company. Or are the insurance company going to sit down (as they do), look very carefully at the facts, and refuse to pay out on a technicality because they find someone is a resident with UK plates, even if said vehicle is owned by someone else or whatever, or its not MOT'd etc etc

When there is an accident these things are scrutinised by lawyers and experts ..... so we only find out theres a problem when I'm in a wheelchair with no compensation. Thats my opinion.
Hi Mitzy,

I hear what you're saying and I never said I condoned anyone who has a car or bike here illegally, although as a few posters here have already said they can insure a foreign plated car and/or bike for 365 days of the year. It may be illegal, but it is being done. I don't know how it works, but the insurances are insuring these vehicles.....AND I've personally witnessed insurances to pay on fully comp policies as well (on foreign plated cars).

PS I'm NOT saying it's legal and I'm NOT saying people should do it, just saying it's being done! Just wanted to make that clear.

Last edited by MnM; Oct 24th 2007 at 4:57 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.