Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What's changed most in Spain over the last 20 years?

What's changed most in Spain over the last 20 years?

Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:00 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's changed most in Spain over the last 20 years?

Ok, I'm sure a lot of people will say prices, and they'd be right, but that's the case in most countries I would expect.

What other major changes have you seen? More concrete jungle? More transport infra-structure and fast train links? More television channels What's disappeared?

I think there are two major changes I've seen. Firstly, it's become a major entry point for working migrants (I believe they've been the top European country including the UK as regards internal migration over the last decade, although I suspect that will change). Secondly, as in parts of the UK the cost of a normal starter home is now way beyond the average wage earner. I know some feel that rising house prices are a good thing, but I beg to differ. Anyway that's for another thread...

Any contributions?
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's changed most in Spain over the last 20 years?

It is gradually getting cleaner. Not in a good way. It's becomming sterile. When did 'they' make it fashionable not to smoke?
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:29 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

The roads are great now
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

For me it has to be joining the EU.
Whilst EU grants have certainly done much to improve the infrastruture etc it seems to have come with the same baggage as in the UK, the nanny state.
The thing I have always loved about the Spanish culture is the resistance to authority.
Funnily though it is only those who can remember the last 20 years who notice, most of the young generation now readily accept the nanny state as normal.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:00 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I was surprised by the respect young Spanish people had for their elders and authority 20 years ago. That seems to have largely disappeared since then.

I don’t know if this is generally true, but the important fiestas seem to attract less fervour than before. And the attitude towards bull fighting, what a change that has been.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

For me the most noticeable thing would be the lack of black worn by mourners, it used to appear that so many wore black for so long after losing a member of their family, I think it is too a much lesser extent theses days, even with the older generations.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Most noticeable thing is the cars, twenty years ago there were not many and the ones you saw were old bangers, now most drive fancy flash new cars....though that too I guess is soon about to change!

The other thing is how the coastline of the Costa del Sol has been covered in concrete.
I remember the days when there were pine forests, you could also see fields being ploughed with oxen and see sugarcane growing as you drove down the coast.
Of course in those days there was no freedom for the people here, they were all poor and of course there was Franco, I know he was more than twenty years ago....but he's still not most peoples favourite person!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:13 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

That's an easy question.
Without doubt, The PRICES !

Could hardly get rid of my money back in the good old Peseta days.
Now much like the rest of Europe, it's Arms and Legs !
Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
Most noticeable thing is the cars, twenty years ago there were not many and the ones you saw were old bangers, now most drive fancy flash new cars....though that too I guess is soon about to change!

The other thing is how the coastline of the Costa del Sol has been covered in concrete.
I remember the days when there were pine forests, you could also see fields being ploughed with oxen and see sugarcane growing as you drove down the coast.
Of course in those days there was no freedom for the people here, they were all poor and of course there was Franco, I know he was more than twenty years ago....but he's still not most peoples favourite person!
20 years ago was only 1990. I guess you are talking about 40-50 years ago? If so, then yes almost all Andalucians outside of the elite of the major cities were poor.

I just watched a documentary about the Andalucians and Murcias who moved to Barcelona and set up shanty towns on the outskirts back in the 1950s. It was shocking the conditions they lived in. To live like that they must have been escaping serious poverty in the South.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

I can remember that some people used to light up a cigarette in supermarkets in the early 90s.

This was in Fuengirola that I saw them.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
I can remember that some people used to light up a cigarette in supermarkets in the early 90s.

This was in Fuengirola that I saw them.
Ive seen staff smoking in Banesto bank as little as 3 years ago!
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
20 years ago was only 1990. I guess you are talking about 40-50 years ago? If so, then yes almost all Andalucians outside of the elite of the major cities were poor.

I just watched a documentary about the Andalucians and Murcias who moved to Barcelona and set up shanty towns on the outskirts back in the 1950s. It was shocking the conditions they lived in. To live like that they must have been escaping serious poverty in the South.
No I'm not that old!
I was really talking about the early eighties, Franco was dead but things hadn't changed much back then.
Places like Fuengirola were just starting to attract tourists, but there were still large areas along the coastline there without buildings, and still the little fishermen's cottages there too...now long gone!
We could drive inland up to the lakes we now live so close to and never see another car on the road once we passed Cartama.
Change was a long time in coming, but when it did it was rapid, and not always well thought out.
Real change happened when Spain joined the EEC, the money received on joining made the building of the new road links possible... which made all the difference.