Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What would you do if ...

What would you do if ...

Old Jul 25th 2012, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute
Default What would you do if ...

... the mierda really did hit the fan and Spain went pearshaped? If you couldn't get your money out of the bank, supermarket shelves were empty, everyone was on strike and there were curfews on the city streets?

Not a prediction of course, just a hypothetical question!

Would you stock up and stay put, or head for the homeland?
Old Jul 25th 2012, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you do if ...

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
... the mierda really did hit the fan and Spain went pearshaped? If you couldn't get your money out of the bank, supermarket shelves were empty, everyone was on strike and there were curfews on the city streets?

Unless someone grows their own food everybody would have to head home wouldnt they! Or starve to death
Old Jul 25th 2012, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

So 40 million Spaniards who are already "home" will starve to death?

I would of thought you'd come up with something a bit more creative!
Old Jul 25th 2012, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

You already said that there would be no access to money and no food on the shelves

Its true that Spain could feed itself so probably noone would starve to death, but it is difficult to imagine such a world.

I'm not hanging around if there is another war or dictatorship. Stuff that

I would support and happily live in some kind of semi-communist state as long as it was democratic and they'd let me keep my savings
Old Jul 25th 2012, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

I suppose I am lucky because we grow our own food and there are plenty of rabbits! I don't think I would miss material things too much, certainly not enough to make me leave the country. The only thing that would drive me out would be another fascist dictatorship.

I said no food on SUPERMARKET shelves, but I bet the village shops would find something to put on their shelves, and there would be a lot of bargaining and trading.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 3:14 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I would stick it out with my Spanish friends.

Rosemary
Old Jul 25th 2012, 3:17 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it's typical. Either a sensational over-exaggeration or a yawner. Sometimes both. But at least he's consistent in that most everything is not-well-thought-through.

Yawn....

Me? Well, god forbid that would ever come to pass, but if it did, the UK would be the LAST place we'd fancy. Probably southern US or Caribbean.

Originally Posted by cricketman

I would support and happily live in some kind of semi-communist state as long as it was democratic and they'd let me keep my savings
We have some friends from the former east block who say the same. It was much better back then. Living standard very modest, but you didn't have to work much, and you get your bread and a chicken a week. Just do what they tell you and everything is fine (as long as you don't disagree or cross them in any way - something which you might have some difficulties with).

Oh, keeping your savings is probably a bit optimistic. Having any wealth at all would essentially be a crime (as you've eluded to on many occasions) and so the legal thing would be to hand it over to the state. Unless of course you are a high-ranking state official, which would enable you to accumulate as much wealth from any method you want, with complete impunity, and tax free!
Old Jul 25th 2012, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by amideislas
We have some friends from the former east block who say the same. It was much better back then. Living standard very modest, but you didn't have to work much, and you get your bread and a chicken a week. Just do what they tell you and everything is fine (as long as you don't disagree or cross them in any way - something which you might have some difficulties with).

Oh, keeping your savings is probably a bit optimistic. Having any wealth at all would essentially be a crime (as you've eluded to on many occasions) and so the legal thing would be to hand it over to the state. Unless of course you are a high-ranking state official, which would enable you to accumulate as much wealth from any method you want, with complete impunity, and tax free!
You're confusing communism with totalitarianism. Obviously the USSR was totalitarian, but communism doesnt have to be

My ideal society would be a sort of semi-communal ideal based on a big village. Where people work together towards common goals and share skills, but with basic property being free or very cheap and a salary cap for high earners of maybe 5 times the minimum salary

That doesnt mean it would have to be backward by the way. What I've described basically describes UK universities up until 5 years or so ago.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by amideislas
Probably southern US or Caribbean.
I shouldnt really feed the troll, but given that you dont live there already, I can only assume that you are not skilled or rich enough
Old Jul 25th 2012, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Poppy Mae is an unknown quantity at this point

Hubby and I would move in with Bil and get my family to ship over food parcel's once a month to complement his homegrown produce As for no money in the banks, well no change there for us would get bank of sister to send us cash when needed
Old Jul 25th 2012, 3:40 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

You're confusing communism with totalitarianism. Obviously the USSR was totalitarian, but communism doesnt have to be

My ideal society would be a sort of semi-communal ideal based on a big village. Where people work together towards common goals and share skills, but with basic property being free or very cheap and a salary cap for high earners of maybe 5 times the minimum salary

That doesnt mean it would have to be backward by the way. What I've described basically describes UK universities up until 5 years or so ago.
Ahh yes, and everybody in the village would hold hands and sing Kum-by-yah around the campfire.

Just out of curiosity, who exactly pays for your idealistic little garden of eden? Me again, I reckon?
Old Jul 25th 2012, 4:15 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look back at Spanish history, self-sufficiency= grinding poverty. Perhaps some people have got a touch of the sun Read what some of the Spaniards said about life in the eg. 1950's

There would be shortages but it wouldn't be that bad. Then there are food parcels from abroad
Old Jul 25th 2012, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Being personally self sufficient would be no use, those that weren't would murder you for the food
Food parcels from abroad if they arrived at all would be empty.

Glad I wouldn't have to get out I have already done it.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 4:26 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose I am lucky because we grow our own food and there are plenty of rabbits! I don't think I would miss material things too much, certainly not enough to make me leave the country. The only thing that would drive me out would be another fascist dictatorship.

I said no food on SUPERMARKET shelves, but I bet the village shops would find something to put on their shelves, and there would be a lot of bargaining and trading.
Sorry but you are talking RUBBISH !!

other than a self seeking advert for your own self sufficiency, if there is no food on the Supermarket shelves there will be no food on shelves - full stop. The buying power of small shopkeepers will be reduced to old clocks, radios, knives, forks - anything - they can take in barter, but that won't be much.

it is a scene you should be fearful of because that means Spain will have the same living conditions as Somalia et al. No electricity, no fuel, no water, no nothing except a long and lingering death unless caught looting when it will be very very short.

So get out there and do something useful to dig the country out of its mess - take a shotgun to those selling the country short, it has alot of potential, a great future
Old Jul 25th 2012, 4:28 pm
Banned

I shouldnt really feed the troll, but given that you dont live there already, I can only assume that you are not skilled or rich enough
Well, that's extraordinary. That sounds suspiciously like jealousy.

Not that surprising, really. I reckon anyone who didn't aspire to achieve anything in life could be jealous of those who did. There's a lot of that going around these days. Pretty common.

But that's life. You meet all kinds.

Last edited by amideislas; Jul 25th 2012 at 4:34 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.