Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What would you do ?

What would you do ?

Old Nov 25th 2009, 9:00 am
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of
Default What would you do ?

OK,
We have neighbours, nice Spanish couple, who have 2 dogs & now a new baby.
They have never exercised the dogs as long as they have had them, I mean once in a blue moon they would get taken out in the car at the weekends, but that doesn't happen any more.
Daily walks are a complete non event. & yes they are having big problems with barking & discipline (No shit ! ).
I have given them one of the dog whispers books in the hope that it might get read & to cap it all they pay for a 'trainer' to come to the house now & again to shout at the dogs for an hour or 2 & once he turned up with a shocker collar The guy obviously doesn't know what he is doing & is just ripping them off.
Thing is I can get by in Spanish language but am not confident to talk to them in the friendly manner & say, Look most of your problems are probably down to just to much energy & you need to burn it off. With out *issing them off & thinking I am being a pain.
And just so as you know, I have kept dogs most of my life & have one now, so am certainly not anti dog or any thing.
The dogs are two fit & so far healthly boxers 3 & 2 years old, one female (spad) one male (not).
Old Nov 25th 2009, 9:25 am
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you do ?

I wouldnt do anything. As sad as it is, if the only thing these dogs are lacking is a walk everyday then its not so bad is it??? Do the dogs know that they're not going out? Do they know any different?? I can think of lots of dogs around me that spend their days chained up and never walked or even let off their chains

Opposite me there are a row of stables. Each stable is approx 6ft x 6ft. In one of them is a horse. The owner comes twice, sometimes three time a week to feed and water him. In the 3 months we've lived here, the horse has been taken out of his stable 3 times for about half an hour while its cleaned and the damage caused by the horse kicking repaired. That poor horse lives in a 6ftx6ft stable 24/7!

The Guardia are aware of things and come along every now and again and look in on him. Apparently he used to be covered in sores so someone complained, but since the guardia now visit the owner has obviously sorted out the sores . so thats good isnt it (I say sarcastically!!)!

The Spanish dont really have the same feelings towards animals as the British do they!

Jo xxx

Last edited by jojojojojojojojojojojojo; Nov 25th 2009 at 9:28 am.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 9:52 am
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

I hear what you are saying & to a point agree, the actual point is the dogs are coursing problems for the couple as in incessant barking (neighbours complaints-not me, yet ), fighting & jumping up on their visitors.(They are big dogs)
What prompted the thread is that the husband has just started hitting the male dog, probably out of his frustration & that sure isn't going to help either of them.
I would like to help them as they appear to want to sort it out.
I have considered walking the dogs with mine, but I don't believe that would solve the problem long term, they are their responsibility.
I guess I could sit back & wait for someone to get bitten & dogs destroyed.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 9:58 am
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

You could complain to the guardia or the ayuntamiento, cos they have a department that deals with noise I believe. Sorry if I come across as unsympathetic but the one thing I've learnt over here is that animals arent valued in the same way as the UK. I dont like it or agree with it, but theres nothing I can do about it, so I have to turn a blind eye and switch off, otherwise I'd be in tears or prison for releasing/stealing horses, dogs and beating up owners! I actually had to stop my 12yo daughter, a horse lover from going over to this particular stable with a screw driver, cos she was gonna break the horse out and bring him home!!

Jo xxx
Old Nov 25th 2009, 10:35 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve got two dogs, my neighbour’s got three, and most houses around here have a dog or two. The dogs are mostly there for a reason, we live in a high crime area, although a lot of smaller ones are kept purely as pets. It can and does get noisy, especially if there are burglars around.

Luckily most dogs, like ours, are kept indoors overnight, but one a few houses away isn’t, and we know that when he starts barking, usually in the early morning, there are strangers lurking around and it sets the whole neighbourhood off. I’ve personally worked out that the dogs are better than the best alarm system, they can’t be switched off from the outside.

But people treat dogs differently, and sometimes don’t know how to control them. I’m not sure that I agree that Spanish people treat their dogs differently, the weather alone means that dogs are more in the open than dogs in the UK.

I also agree that they can be a right nuisance, and there’s nothing you can do about it apart from buying earplugs. However, I can imagine being woken in the middle of the night with your earplugs in place, when a nasty burglar shines his torch into your face.

My Doberman is down at the gate right now, barking his head off, but I know that it’s not a burglar bark, it’s probably the postman, a brave profession here in Spain.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I’ve got two dogs, my neighbour’s got three, and most houses around here have a dog or two. The dogs are mostly there for a reason, we live in a high crime area, although a lot of smaller ones are kept purely as pets. It can and does get noisy, especially if there are burglars around.

Luckily most dogs, like ours, are kept indoors overnight, but one a few houses away isn’t, and we know that when he starts barking, usually in the early morning, there are strangers lurking around and it sets the whole neighbourhood off. I’ve personally worked out that the dogs are better than the best alarm system, they can’t be switched off from the outside.

But people treat dogs differently, and sometimes don’t know how to control them. I’m not sure that I agree that Spanish people treat their dogs differently, the weather alone means that dogs are more in the open than dogs in the UK.

I also agree that they can be a right nuisance, and there’s nothing you can do about it apart from buying earplugs. However, I can imagine being woken in the middle of the night with your earplugs in place, when a nasty burglar shines his torch into your face.

My Doberman is down at the gate right now, barking his head off, but I know that it’s not a burglar bark, it’s probably the postman, a brave profession here in Spain.
One of the first things I taught my kids was that, when in Spain, you never lean against fences or gates or walk along trailing your hands close to them.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 10:46 am
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG

In my area most dogs are kept out all night, they have a kennel or shed in their gardens and yes, I know what you mean about one dog starts off and then the whole lot do! I've often laid in bed listening to one start, then another, then a few more and it seems to go on all night, some close, some in the distance, but I dont think there are many minutes when there are no dogs barking at all! I've got used to it - so have my dogs who sleep on my bed by the way, cos I'm a big softy!!
Old Nov 25th 2009, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Grebo
I hear what you are saying & to a point agree, the actual point is the dogs are coursing problems for the couple as in incessant barking (neighbours complaints-not me, yet ), fighting & jumping up on their visitors.(They are big dogs)
What prompted the thread is that the husband has just started hitting the male dog, probably out of his frustration & that sure isn't going to help either of them.
I would like to help them as they appear to want to sort it out.
I have considered walking the dogs with mine, but I don't believe that would solve the problem long term, they are their responsibility.
I guess I could sit back & wait for someone to get bitten & dogs destroyed.
I would offer to do just that. If after a while the owners notice a marked improvement in the dogs' behaviour then you have proven the solution to their problem. Then I wouldn't be shy about telling them that they need to pick up where you left off.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 12:33 pm
I believe.

Originally Posted by Veleta
I would offer to do just that. If after a while the owners notice a marked improvement in the dogs' behaviour then you have proven the solution to their problem. Then I wouldn't be shy about telling them that they need to pick up where you left off.
Yeh I think that might be the way to go, it's just that they might just go "hey great we got a free dog walker SUCKER "
They obviously care for the animals & they sure are good burglar alarms
I have no problems with dogs doing their job. As does mine but you can usually tell the active working bark to the woof woof woof woof at nothing.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:24 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

I hate dogs.

Try rat poison.

I honestly don`t see the point in dogs, I no, mans friend etc etc, until they irritate you.

Seriously, we lived next to a single female who worked all day, I was working from home most days and the dog barked from the moment she left to when she returned, if she went out at night, the dog would bark.

That house had thin walls and we could clearly hear her conversations with the dog, but dogs don`t speak or understand language, so why speak to it.

We could not enter our garden without the dog barking at us and the girl constantly asking the dog to stop barking, I no how to stop a barking dog, if you hold its neck hard enough, it`ll stop.

No I don`t do dogs.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:30 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chulo
I hate dogs.

Try rat poison.

I honestly don`t see the point in dogs, I no, mans friend etc etc, until they irritate you.

No I don`t do dogs.
Working dogs?

Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:38 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

I used to have a Springer Spaniel and I grew up with a Labrador.

Neither came in the home and kept/used as they were intended for.

Nobody sane would want a Springer in there home.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:39 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I used to have a Springer Spaniel and I grew up with a Labrador.

Neither came in the home and kept/used as they were intended for.

Nobody sane would want a Springer in there home.
Tell me, what was sleeping on a dogs bed like as a child?
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:41 pm
Banned

Ruff Ruff Ruff.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:47 pm
Straw Man.

Ruff Ruff Ruff.
That was a paw attempt at humour.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.