Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What would you ask YOUR mayor?

What would you ask YOUR mayor?

Old Oct 28th 2011, 9:37 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you ask YOUR mayor?

Originally Posted by Lynn R
If the Ayuntamiento is so desperately short of money, why aren't you getting every available policeman on the streets, fining everyone who is parked on a pavement, or a pedestrian crossing, double or triple parked, or stops their car in the middle of the road to go into a shop, everyone who fly tips domestic or industrial rubbish, or does not pick up their dog's mess? Easy source of revenue.
Quite agree with you about the rubbish,although some progress is being made in educating them, there are still far too many with the attitude, out of sight out of mind, whether it be town or campo.
Maybe a few hefty fines or a dose of porridge might help them get their thinking straightened out.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Because businesses need people to illegally park so they can come to their shops

In Benalmadena Pueblo, if people didnt illegally park then the bakery would get half the business - and there is simply nowhere to build any parking.

If we start fining people for everything then Spain suddenly becomes England which I certainly dont want. A bit of chaos is good for you!

I should add, that I would ask how much the ayuntamiento is in debt and what are the plans for paying the debt back and how long that will take. That will stump them!
good post cricketman, was thinking along the asaem line, I like the way they stop for a natter, I now double park to go in the bread shop.Dont want to be like UK thank you
Old Oct 28th 2011, 10:08 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Because businesses need people to illegally park so they can come to their shops

In Benalmadena Pueblo, if people didnt illegally park then the bakery would get half the business - and there is simply nowhere to build any parking.

If we start fining people for everything then Spain suddenly becomes England which I certainly dont want. A bit of chaos is good for you!

I should add, that I would ask how much the ayuntamiento is in debt and what are the plans for paying the debt back and how long that will take. That will stump them!
Originally Posted by pwwm
good post cricketman, was thinking along the asaem line, I like the way they stop for a natter, I now double park to go in the bread shop.Dont want to be like UK thank you
Agree with you both that we do not want Spain to turn into a copy of the UK.

I think that the things mentioned can be categorised as the Spanish ways that help to let you know that you live in a unique country.

Rosemary
Old Oct 28th 2011, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
So what would you ask the mayor?
Old Oct 28th 2011, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Who said anything about wanting Spain to become England? There are plenty of inconsiderate and lazy people doing stuff like that there as well.

So, to you it's acceptable that mothers with pushchairs, elderly people using walking sticks or zimmer frames, and wheelchair users, have to go into the road to get around cars blocking the pavement, or can't cross the road safely at a crossing because someone's parked over it? I don't care what country it happens in, it's not "just the way we do things here", it's not on.

What would these lazy and selfish drivers do if they got home to find a car parked across their driveway or blocking the entrance to their garage? I bet they'd waste no time calling the police or the grua.

As for the rubbish issue, this morning I passed a patch of waste ground on my way to the shops where building rubble and loads of domestic rubbish has been dumped. Not only is it unsightly and smelly, it's also a breeding ground for rats. I actually counted this morning, and it's exactly 55 steps from there to the nearest public rubbish bins. What possible excuse can there be for that?

Why does a country bother having laws at all, if there is no effort to enforce them?
Old Oct 28th 2011, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

LynnR - while agreeing in large measure with your points and seeing your strength of feeling, can you put in words the specific question(s) you'd ask your mayor if you got the opportunity?
Old Oct 28th 2011, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R

Why does a country bother having laws at all, if there is no effort to enforce them?
Laws are guidelines, you should know that by now

Around here the problem is that the pavements are too narrow because the building developers couldnt be bothered to build them properly - and then they stuck things like trees and lamposts in the middle of them, making it a nightmare for pushchairs

Unfornately there is no easy fix, just got to take it as one of the "charms" of Andalucia. Btw its not like this in the North or Barcelona. We got our car towed for being 5 mins past the parking ticket time, 150 euro fine. Lovely!
Old Oct 28th 2011, 2:10 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

No complaints really against ours, the last one got us a brand new hospital like a five star hotel.
This one has got us a new clinic and dramatically upgrading the roads and paths and green areas.
He is also taking a big interest in the needs of foreigners in the area, mmm I wonder why.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jdr
No complaints really against ours, the last one got us a brand new hospital like a five star hotel.
This one has got us a new clinic and dramatically upgrading the roads and paths and green areas.
He is also taking a big interest in the needs of foreigners in the area, mmm I wonder why.
By definition we're all furriners at our class, and I admit to wondering if I should ask what contribution or drain he/the ayuntamiento think we make.... would you ask?
Old Oct 28th 2011, 4:22 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
By definition we're all furriners at our class, and I admit to wondering if I should ask what contribution or drain he/the ayuntamiento think we make.... would you ask?
I don`t think we (a third of the legal population) are a drain on them, in fact we probably add a few bob to the coffers.
www.benalmadena.com/extranjeros/english.php
Old Oct 28th 2011, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

busters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond repute

So what would you ask the mayor?
Why is there no municipal pool in Javea ?
Old Oct 28th 2011, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by busters mum
Why is there no municipal pool in Javea ?
For some reason I thought Javea was quite big..... Colmenar's about 4,000 and has a (very good, though outdoor and not heated) pool.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

busters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond repute

For some reason I thought Javea was quite big..... Colmenar's about 4,000 and has a (very good, though outdoor and not heated) pool.
Exactly my point !!!! he has a brilliant one at his mansion !!!
Old Oct 28th 2011, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

LynnR - while agreeing in large measure with your points and seeing your strength of feeling, can you put in words the specific question(s) you'd ask your mayor if you got the opportunity?
I thought I'd done that in post #14, Fiona!

However, I think our Mayor's ears must have been burning earlier on. When I went out this afternoon I passed an even bigger dumping ground, where a family living above the old town walls routinely throw all their rubbish over the wall down to the hillside below. I know a French-Canadian couple living nearby who have been complaining about it for months. Lo and behold, all the rubbish had been removed this morning! If I keep trying the telepathy method, I might not have to ask the Mayor anything!

Trouble is, I bet there is more there tomorrow morning. Over the last 5 years I have seen this spot cleaned up quite a few times, only for the rubbish to accumulate again. Surely it would be more cost effective for the Ayuntamiento to get the Policia Local to identify the culprits, fine them and maybe get them to do community service by picking up the rubbish themselves, than have to stand the expense of repeated clean-ups without solving the problem at source?
Old Oct 28th 2011, 7:22 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I was innocently reading some of our local expat newspapers today, on the Costa Blanca, and you would be hard pushed to find any local mayors to ask about anything - they're being arrested and put in prison all over the place.

A pertinent question to my previous mayor would have been, 'How did you manage to buy a plot of rural land without planning permission for 140k and sell it two years later, with planning permission, for five million?'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.