Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What would you ask YOUR mayor?

What would you ask YOUR mayor?

Old Oct 27th 2011, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default What would you ask YOUR mayor?

Our Spanish class has wangled an interview, or meeting, with the alcalde on the back of an idea our teacher had for starting some kind of newsletter for the village. All of that notwithstanding, we've got ideas of questions to which we think we and others might like answers.
What questions would you ask your, or any other, mayor?
Old Oct 27th 2011, 9:27 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you ask YOUR mayor?

I know what I'd ask mine.

"Which dickheads voted you in - you prick?"

But I'm not in Spain so sorry Fiona for trampling on another thread. I have an insane need to vent on allsorts tonight.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I know what I'd ask mine.

"Which dickheads voted you in - you prick?"

But I'm not in Spain so sorry Fiona for trampling on another thread. I have an insane need to vent on allsorts tonight.
No worries. Our lot's probably mostly in bed anyway.... Megmet might be around later cos she has sleep problems apparently, .... we'll see!

Sidelining my own thread, I can't get people who complain yet don't vote. I didn't vote so accept my fate if I get in an argument. (think it was around the time my mother died so I have a bit of an excuse) ... one of the spanish class stood up at the end and said she couldn't understand the interest in meeting the mayor, she had no interest in politics. Yet she was the first to complain about the lack of communications in the village about the simplest of things. Well maybe I embellish a bit too much, but you get the point.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 9:41 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
No worries. Our lot's probably mostly in bed anyway.... Megmet might be around later cos she has sleep problems apparently, .... we'll see!

Sidelining my own thread, I can't get people who complain yet don't vote. I didn't vote so accept my fate if I get in an argument. (think it was around the time my mother died so I have a bit of an excuse) ... one of the spanish class stood up at the end and said she couldn't understand the interest in meeting the mayor, she had no interest in politics. Yet she was the first to complain about the lack of communications in the village about the simplest of things. Well maybe I embellish a bit too much, but you get the point.
Sounds a lot like Italy and even though I have been quite vocal in the last five years of Italian school, I have managed to stay out of the political side.

I have dumped myself in it this year at daughter's middle school. It was the night for voting class reps. After many discussions I said they could have my name as a last resort. When I saw two names up on the blackboard I thought I was home and dry and SAFE. Turns out that at bloody middle school they need four names ... so I'm up there.

Woe betide them now when I get up in front of some of the idiots that run these schools.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 9:43 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

How much did you get in backhanders/black money last year ?

Any chance I could get a piece of the action if I don't tell your Mrs I saw you giving your secretary a one in the back room just as I came in ?
Old Oct 27th 2011, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
How much did you get in backhanders/black money last year ?
Any chance I could get a piece of the action if I don't tell your Mrs I saw you giving your secretary a one in the back room just as I came in ?
A very good question but I doubt you'd get a very serious answer.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 9:56 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Do you own a suit, who does your ironing? Our new mayor looks a mess. The one who stepped down still walks in the processions and still looks the part. Would not have known which person was the new mayor if I had not seen his photo.

On a more serious note I think that I would ask when they are going to re-tarmac the roads. cannot think of anything else at the moment.

Rosemary
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:02 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
A very good question but I doubt you'd get a very serious answer.
Looks like our local mayor is in for quite a long stretch of porridge together with some of his builder pals as well, though the main guy behind the scam,a German has done a runner and seemingly disappeared off the face of the planet.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:04 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

How the hell did an uncouth yob like you get to be mayor. Before this one was voted in we had a mayor who, for all I know, was crap and corrupt but he looked like a mayor acted like a mayor and according to our neighbours was exceptionaly good for our town. This prat has no dignity at all looks and acts like someone dragged off the street, in a well turned out procession he stands out like a sore thumb badly dressed, lumbering along. A friend tells us that it was a political move and he is being controlled by others in his party.
Sorry, rant over.

Graham
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Do you own a suit, who does your ironing? Our new mayor looks a mess. The one who stepped down still walks in the processions and still looks the part. Would not have known which person was the new mayor if I had not seen his photo.

On a more serious note I think that I would ask when they are going to re-tarmac the roads. cannot think of anything else at the moment.

Rosemary
That's a question for our one as well. The last time I went to a BIG school and town hall metting mixed together, our mayor was there. He looked like a grizzly bear in scruffy jeans and flip flops and hairy toes and allsorts. I know he had hairy toes as I had the misfortune to be sitting next to him.

I also got the insight and wonderment into his depth of intellect when one parent asked about something ..... and I overheard the mayor in question say something to his companion in pure unbred dialect, full of very bad Italian blasphemy and other unGodly like words which are considered very, very bad here. It was disgraceful.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The previous mayor in our case is the one with the mega question marks over his head so it's tempting to ask something about that, and how this one's going to be different ....
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

No idea if these are part of "mayoral" duties but:

Re-tarmac road
Stop the cruelty to horses (Y shaped wood attached with a bolt to one leg of the horse).
Stop the installation of water meters on houses who use a well so that they can be charged for water.
Lower speed bumps
Have a hair cut.
Abolish any form of "stamps"
Prevent triple parking.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 7:39 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Simply to ask him to bring Chiclana into the 20th century by getting drinking water and sewerage to every home - and yes I know we are in the 21st century.

Electricity is not within his power - that's a matter for the Junta de Andalucia

Davexf
Old Oct 28th 2011, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

If the Ayuntamiento is so desperately short of money, why aren't you getting every available policeman on the streets, fining everyone who is parked on a pavement, or a pedestrian crossing, double or triple parked, or stops their car in the middle of the road to go into a shop, everyone who fly tips domestic or industrial rubbish, or does not pick up their dog's mess? Easy source of revenue.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
If the Ayuntamiento is so desperately short of money, why aren't you getting every available policeman on the streets, fining everyone who is parked on a pavement, or a pedestrian crossing, double or triple parked, or stops their car in the middle of the road to go into a shop, everyone who fly tips domestic or industrial rubbish, or does not pick up their dog's mess? Easy source of revenue.
Because businesses need people to illegally park so they can come to their shops

In Benalmadena Pueblo, if people didnt illegally park then the bakery would get half the business - and there is simply nowhere to build any parking.

If we start fining people for everything then Spain suddenly becomes England which I certainly dont want. A bit of chaos is good for you!

I should add, that I would ask how much the ayuntamiento is in debt and what are the plans for paying the debt back and how long that will take. That will stump them!

Last edited by cricketman; Oct 28th 2011 at 9:11 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.