Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What will the future hold?

What will the future hold?

Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond repute
Default What will the future hold?

Several regions of Spain are teetering on the precipice of financial catastrophe....I think the opportunity to ‘Take the bull by the horns’ may have passed for the government to take the road to salvation, (Though a difficult road it may be ), down the exit route from the EU.....The more Merkle and her vacuous cronies delve their tentacles into the Med nations through deepening the fiscal debt....The closer to a European federation dictated to by an elitist few we become.....With the planned cuts biting hard and further and deeper ones planned, it will not be long before social unrest and upheaval inevitably happens on a scale which may lead to huge changes in this country...

The leaders of this nation have lost the way of truth,
Like an aged wounded beast searching for its youth,
They lurch, they lean and blunder thier way blind,
To what, to where, not seeming to even mind.

What will be the outcome, of this sad reproachful waste,
A future of reflection and a bad and bitter taste,
Of what, and could, and might have been conceived,
If right and good and truth had been achieved.

Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What will the future hold?

Any evidence for this?

I find the Spanish media to be remarkably placid about what is happening - and although the 15-M movement have said a lot of good things, they have petered out and it hasnt lead to anything important. The politicians only ever say that they want to continue in Europe and with the Euro

Up here, day-to-day I see things just going on as normal. Loads of people in the cafes, shops busy etc. Not as busy as 5 years ago, but still

All we are seeing is a correction in the availability of credit, so properties are becoming cheaper, those companies on the brink are going bust while utilities and fuel are becoming more expensive because the world's major currencies are being deliverately devalued by the banks and governments

I dont see a revolution happening soon
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:27 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting article here, on how the German state of Hesse is seeking up to 400,000 unemployed Spanish to work in Germany. Trouble is, they need to know German... (the German state of Hesse includes expensive places like Frankfurt, which is presumably why they can't attract German unemployed to relocate there).

http://www.elconfidencial.com/espana...aleman-104500/

Now of course there won't be anything like 400,000 go. But Spanish workers will have to be more flexible, and go where the work is. If Inditex needs shop supervisors to re-locate to China, or if the Rail company needs technicians to work in Istanbul or Israel, then people will have to re-locate.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:30 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Very interesting article here, on how the German state of Hesse is seeking up to 400,000 unemployed Spanish to work in Germany. Trouble is, they need to know German... (the German state of Hesse includes expensive places like Frankfurt, which is presumably why they can't attract German unemployed to relocate there).

http://www.elconfidencial.com/espana...aleman-104500/

Now of course there won't be anything like 400,000 go. But Spanish workers will have to be more flexible, and go where the work is. If Inditex needs shop supervisors to re-locate to China, or if the Rail company needs technicians to work in Istanbul or Israel, then people will have to re-locate.

WILL ???
surely the option to say NO is still there at the moment ??

and what if Germans want/need those jobs in the future ??

Last edited by Domino; Aug 30th 2012 at 12:32 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:33 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Any evidence for this?

I find the Spanish media to be remarkably placid about what is happening - and although the 15-M movement have said a lot of good things, they have petered out and it hasnt lead to anything important. The politicians only ever say that they want to continue in Europe and with the Euro

Up here, day-to-day I see things just going on as normal. Loads of people in the cafes, shops busy etc. Not as busy as 5 years ago, but still

All we are seeing is a correction in the availability of credit, so properties are becoming cheaper, those companies on the brink are going bust while utilities and fuel are becoming more expensive because the world's major currencies are being deliverately devalued by the banks and governments

I don't see it either.

Peaceful demonstrations may come and go, but as soon as anyone as much as bats an eyelid or even gives a copper a black look, they know they can expect to get the shit beaten out of them PDQ.

Truly amazing just what a calming influence such tactics have.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:49 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

None of this prevents numpties (oh so full of apologies after the event, when it looks like they will get prison) from throwing a fire extinguisher from the roof of a building.

And where were the police when the same numpty peed up the side of the Cenotaph and climbed up it ??

hitting them isnt the answer, taking their personal belongings and smashing and burning them in front of their friends - now thats a good idea.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
None of this prevents numpties (oh so full of apologies after the event, when it looks like they will get prison) from throwing a fire extinguisher from the roof of a building.

And where were the police when the same numpty peed up the side of the Cenotaph and climbed up it ??

hitting them isnt the answer, taking their personal belongings and smashing and burning them in front of their friends - now thats a good idea.
I'm actually pro violent revolution (as a concept), sometimes it is needed and is the only way a change can be made. History shows this

Charging students £10k a year to go to university is a valid reason to smash up the HQ of the Tory party

And maybe if a few bankers had hung from lamposts a few years ago then things may have worked out for the better

Even the great social advances of the C20th only came about because of the two WWs.

The US are very good at maintaining a passive population. There is nothing better for a politician or banker, it means they dont notice who is stealing from them, or even better, dont care
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:11 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Will Ibiza continue to part fools from their money?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...323239634.html

Dance music has been kind to Ibiza. While the rest of Spain suffered double-digit recession turmoil, the financial sun continues to shine here. Clubs in Ibiza, are as busy (and expensive) as they’ve ever been. Entry to any of the island’s four super-clubs (Pacha, Privilege, Amnesia and Space) will cost up to €80, while patrons can also expect to fork out up to €17 for a vodka and coke, and a minimum of €10 for a bottle of water.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Will Ibiza continue to part fools from their money?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...323239634.html
What they dont mention is that actually tourism from non-Spaniards is up 6% across the whole of Spain. There have never been as many tourists in Spain
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Any evidence for this?

Me neither
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm actually pro violent revolution (as a concept), sometimes it is needed and is the only way a change can be made. History shows this

Charging students £10k a year to go to university is a valid reason to smash up the HQ of the Tory party

And maybe if a few bankers had hung from lamposts a few years ago then things may have worked out for the better

Even the great social advances of the C20th only came about because of the two WWs.

The US are very good at maintaining a passive population. There is nothing better for a politician or banker, it means they dont notice who is stealing from them, or even better, dont care
Do you think there should be any charge to go to Uni.?
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:28 pm

OK, no problem
so when a student gets hung from a lamp post for getting in my way when travelling home its ok - cman said so.

charging for education is no problem - if I want to take a CPD course I have to pay for it, if universities weren't so lax it would be possible to complete many degrees inside 18months, instead of 3 years pissing up in the uni bar.
Education is wasted on the young.

disagreement, demonstration, fine
violence breeds violence, not fine
it reaches a point that if "students" start violent opposition then the authorities will respond to all opposition with violence, even if it is different "students", peaceful or not...

perhaps I should pull out my class notes when i did an anti-terrorist demonstration course, but will need a 0.303 to achieve the required result.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to agree with you Beast.

Sticking with the Euro and handing over control to an unelected bunch in Brussels means years of pain for Spain. Well into the 2020's. I am afraid as yet the ordinary man in the street hasn't felt the real pain yet. As such they haven't thought too hard about revolting.

As to bail outs. Spain was apparently too big to bail out. Now it appears it isn't with a bit of creativity. Merkel is just kicking the tin along until she is re elected. Have you seen any EU countries that have been bailed out and the populace are happy? far better in my view to default, start with a clean slate and re introduce the peseta. Sure their would be hefty devaluation. Spain could easily up tourism by 50% with some simple measures
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stuboy
Do you think there should be any charge to go to Uni.?
Personally, no. Education should be available to all - and tertiary education to all who are capable

I am also against the stupid courses they have in the UK. Half of them are not of any worth. If people want to pay to do media studies or golf course management then sure, a private university can host those courses

But the "proper" uni courses should be freely available. After all, the whole of society benefits from a Dr, engineer or scientist

If more tax is needed then up the tax of higher salaries. Since most of the best paid people are graduates anyway then this seems fair
Old Aug 30th 2012, 2:00 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, no. Education should be available to all - and tertiary education to all who are capable

I am also against the stupid courses they have in the UK. Half of them are not of any worth. If people want to pay to do media studies or golf course management then sure, a private university can host those courses

But the "proper" uni courses should be freely available. After all, the whole of society benefits from a Dr, engineer or scientist
Yes I agree the useless courses should subsidise the valued ones. I would add theological studies and all the bible backed ones!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.