Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What jobs do we all do (or are we retired)?

What jobs do we all do (or are we retired)?

Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of
Default Re: What jobs do we all do (or are we retired)?

Was already unemployable at 18,had to get trade and become selfemployed (best thing I've done so far!)
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of

I got my first job in the IT field here in the US, doing tech support for an internet company.

After five jobs in six years and a good third of that out of work, I was able to drop out of IT and move into...

Translation!

I do German-English translation for a company in Detroit. Work from home. Occasional 2.5 hour drive to the office for meetings. Customers include Audi, Daimler, VW...
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E17Avenue

Translation!

I do German-English translation for a company in Detroit. Work from home. Occasional 2.5 hour drive to the office for meetings. Customers include Audi, Daimler, VW...
I take it german is a language you have qualifications in through schooling or uobrubging or are you saying you get a computer to do it?
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lcortez
Was already unemployable at 18,had to get trade and become selfemployed (best thing I've done so far!)

Excuse the tongue in cheek question but if you were unemployable how, dear chap ,did you get in the trade.

I wish I could learn to be a locksmith, money in the bank being a locksmith, can one learn from home?
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
I take it german is a language you have qualifications in through schooling or uobrubging or are you saying you get a computer to do it?
I took it for four years at school, lived in Germany and Switzerland for six years (where I took a 2-year community college "commercial school" course in German), and have maintained contacts in the language in the past 20 years.

Haven't got a single piece of paper to prove what I can do, but my test translation was more than good enough for them! Some qualified translators have done much worse...
Old Jan 8th 2008, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
Excuse the tongue in cheek question but if you were unemployable how, dear chap ,did you get in the trade.

I wish I could learn to be a locksmith, money in the bank being a locksmith, can one learn from home?
lasted long enough to earn the money for a weekend course in emergency locksmithing & 1 days extra lock fitting as had no carpentry skills
Old Jan 8th 2008, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by E17Avenue
I got my first job in the IT field here in the US, doing tech support for an internet company.

After five jobs in six years and a good third of that out of work, I was able to drop out of IT and move into...

Translation!

2.5 hrs occasionally Your working too hard,dude!

Last edited by lcortez; Jan 8th 2008 at 5:57 pm. Reason: misspelt dude!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:35 pm
Dipsomaniac

mikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to behold

I used to work for a supermarket, night shifts stacking shelves. Saved up as I never needed to go shopping for 20 years. Sold the council house for a huge profit, moved here. Watched the local builders and saw that I could do that so set myself up, it's easier than stopping beans from falling over, we didn't use cement then.