Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What jobs do we all do (or are we retired)?

What jobs do we all do (or are we retired)?

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:46 am
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all
Default Re: What jobs do we all do (or are we retired)?

Commercial Refrigeration Engineer in Malaga (Was).

Spain is great for reirement, working is a pain in the bum with very little reward,except the beach,but even that can be boring after afew years.

Last edited by lee8; Jan 3rd 2008 at 9:51 am.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 7:01 am
Banned

geisterbahn will become famous soon enoughgeisterbahn will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by The Oddities
We took early retirement last year.

Rosemary
hi nice idea early retierment. how do you go about it. as Ive workrd in the engineering side of construction the slavemaster general GORDON BROWN ! has decided 67 is my dropoff point. I woudnt mind going for early reteirment. so how would one go about this.I have asked government depts ,but everybodys mind seems to go blank ,and the (I KNOW NOTHING !!!!!in italian accent kicks in. geisterbahn
Old Jan 4th 2008, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john1979
I am running my net business what i have here in the uk from Spain,

Your business sounds very interesting John, can I ask what it is please?
Old Jan 5th 2008, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Christine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really nice

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The UK was taken to te European court over non payment of some of the disability allowances, and lost the case, so they have been tiold they MUST pay them. They are currently 'studying the courts verdict, and will let those who have claimed know when they work out the effect of the decision' BUT people do have to claim.
This is something I will really have to look into. I have looked on the benefits web site but it wasn't very clear. We are receiving Disability living allowance for our youngest daughter and I thought that it would be stopped when we move over to Spain in February. I haven't filled in the new claim pack (it is due to run out in May) because I didn't think there was any point because we wouldn't be in this country. I guess I will be filling out those forms today just in case.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 11:54 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geisterbahn
hi nice idea early retierment. how do you go about it. as Ive workrd in the engineering side of construction the slavemaster general GORDON BROWN ! has decided 67 is my dropoff point. I woudnt mind going for early reteirment. so how would one go about this.I have asked government depts ,but everybodys mind seems to go blank ,and the (I KNOW NOTHING !!!!!in italian accent kicks in. geisterbahn
You can retire at any age you like.

Whether you will get any pension is another matter.

If you have a Company Pension you need to find out from them their criteria for early retirement.

Private Pensions through Insurance Policies can usually be taken from 55. If you have one of these, ask the provider about this.

However, you won't be able to get your State Pension until you are (in your case) 67.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 11:58 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Christine.J
This is something I will really have to look into. I have looked on the benefits web site but it wasn't very clear. We are receiving Disability living allowance for our youngest daughter and I thought that it would be stopped when we move over to Spain in February. I haven't filled in the new claim pack (it is due to run out in May) because I didn't think there was any point because we wouldn't be in this country. I guess I will be filling out those forms today just in case.
I don't know about Disbaility Living Allowance, but we assumed my husband would lose his Incapacity Benefit when we came here.

Then his headmaster told him of somebody he knew who lived in Portugal and received IB.

So we filled the forms in and he still receives his IB from the UK.

Since we came here he has had to fill in a questionnaire about his health and have a Doctor's statement (but that would have happened in the UK anyway). If there had been any further details needed, he would have been sent for a medical with an English-speaking Doctor in Malaga. However this was not necessary as they decided on the strength of the questionnaire and the Doctor's statement that he still fulfilled the criteria for IB.

This is quite a useful document about which benefits you can claim abroad and the criteria for claiming them:
http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=2&gl=uk

Good luck with your DLA.

Last edited by scampicat; Jan 5th 2008 at 12:10 pm. Reason: insert link to benefits advice
Old Jan 5th 2008, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

I believe the situation with benefits is that you can recieve unemployment for
6 mths in any EU state,and other benefits such as Disabilty etc as lon as your home country is willing to pay it.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 1:11 am
Just Joined

jimjan will become famous soon enoughjimjan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Christine.J
You may be interested in this site. Link is relevant to mikelincs post, but there's a lot of other useful info on here.

http://www.disabilityalliance.org/euro.htm
Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:37 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimjan
You may be interested in this site. Link is relevant to mikelincs post, but there's a lot of other useful info on here.

http://www.disabilityalliance.org/euro.htm
Thanks for the link, I will put it in the free beer thread for future reference.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:02 am
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lcortez
I believe the situation with benefits is that you can recieve unemployment for
6 mths in any EU state,and other benefits such as Disabilty etc as lon as your home country is willing to pay it.
The UK doesn`t pay anything to people resident outside of the UK.

EU does not pay benifits to anybody, it merely suggests guidelines to member states.Those member states then decide on there individual policies.

Spain only pays unemployment dependant on how much you`ve contributed to Seguridad Social, the more you`ve payed then accounts for the amount back and the period.

Many Spanish employers use this system too use short term contracts rather than Fijo contracts.They openly abuse the sysytem, which states after 2 yrs of temp contract they must make you Fijo or you must leave, so the employer sacks you for 3 months and then re employees you.

Great system.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:14 am
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

What do I do?

The same as I did in Britain for more than 20 years! (I'm one of the very few non-Skills Plane Brits here)

The difference being is that I work three times the hours for a third less money.....but it's still a better life here than in the UK! So what does that say about how screwed up Britain is?

Granada Computer Services
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:19 am
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by lee8
The UK doesn`t pay anything to people resident outside of the UK.
EU does not pay benifits to anybody, it merely suggests guidelines to member states.Those member states then decide on there individual policies.

Spain only pays unemployment dependant on how much you`ve contributed to Seguridad Social, the more you`ve payed then accounts for the amount back and the period.

Many Spanish employers use this system too use short term contracts rather than Fijo contracts.They openly abuse the sysytem, which states after 2 yrs of temp contract they must make you Fijo or you must leave, so the employer sacks you for 3 months and then re employees you.

Great system.
Yes it does! As mentioned above.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:42 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
Yes it does! As mentioned above.
True, sometimes you can even get jobseekers allowence to be carried over to Spain when you come.
Plus lots of other payments, read the DWP site.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Christine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really niceChristine.J is just really nice

Thanks Jimjan, scampicat and and everyone else with benefits advice.

Re: What jobs we do. At the moment I work for the MOD at RAF Brize Norton but planning to be a lady of leisure when we move. OH is a loadmaster with the RAF but will be starting his new job in Madrid in 2 weeks (still to do with aircraft though, there's no stopping him).
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

john1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
Your business sounds very interesting John, can I ask what it is please?
I sell silicone hoses for performance cars, steel brake lines and meguairs car care products and the odd nitrous kit. Can also ged hold of most car related part.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.