Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What do people miss / like?

What do people miss / like?

Old Apr 25th 2006, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

mervyn_plc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do people miss / like?

What do people miss from UK and like about Spain?

I miss family, traditional pubs, and especially Christmas!

I like Weather, Siestas, cheap beer and the language!
Old Apr 25th 2006, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do people miss / like?

I only miss my sons, but they are married and happy and come out to visit.
Do not miss the traffic until I am back there and think ruddy ell where does it all come from. I miss the frost though as it makes everything look wonderful.

Here I like the way of life, the friendly local Spanish tapas with everything. The Spanish neighbours with all the free fresh veg etc. As the TV show in UK say "No going Back"

pwwm
Old Apr 28th 2006, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light

Aw it seems like you guys really embraced Spain.....that's great to hear and that there's not much that you miss, apart from family and friends that is....and thats gunna be obvious.

Can't wait to move over....bit concerned about what we'll miss ..... but I think we'll cope ha ha ...

How long did it take before you both felt settled ?
Old Apr 28th 2006, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

MISS

cockney shouting in the market,

proper bread that dont go off after an hour,

decent bacon,

woolworths / shops where you can buy everything,

chocolate bars,

old english country pubs,

"pakistani" corner shops,

sunday opening,

cheap cars,

going out with my mates and not spending any money,

having constant work (agency worker),

going to the pub on the quayside and looking over the boats as i drink a pint of cheap ipa,

good wages,

well paid jobs,

the variety of races of people in london,

the comunity spirit,

the friendships (people popping round for a cuppa because they can, not like in spain because there is nothing else to do),

a decent cup of tea,

the avaliablity of console and pc games,

the avaliability of CD´s,

the presence of music shops,

the english cinema,

being close to a decent beach (i lived ON the coast in the uk but the beach was mud),

cheaper lager,

the sun (upto 24 degrees. any more and its too hot),

i guess thats all i like about spain.

and DISLIKE

the backstabbing,

the inherent NEED to get drunk when you go out,

the cheap drugs,

the private dentists (yes you get seen straight away but it costs big €€),

the nosy-ness,

the everyone knows what you did last night (who with, where, and what time you got in),

the lack of profesionalisim in banks and offices etc,

the way that expats leave their brains at the airports,

the ways expats come to look at houses in spain and will buy a ruin when in the uk they wouldn´t touch it if it had a tiny crack in the plaster,

the way nobody in spain knows what indicators are for,

the police brutality against foreingers that speak no spanish,

the way all the english stick to their own groups,

the way work is hard to come by if you are foriegn,

the way people shop in large supermarkets so as to avoid speaking spanish to the shopkeeper,

the constant bickering among the english,

the large amount of spanish nationals that have been branded "gypsies" by the english,

the slutty english girls who will sleep with anyone and anything for a drink or a line of coke,

the way that the age of consent in spain is 14 and every guy in spain knows that and preys on young english girls,

the way that every dodgy twat from the uk comes to spain having never picked up a trowel in their lives and is suddenly a builder ,

that there is more domestic violence in spain than the uk,

the way that everything takes two weeks to be delivered from another place inland somewhere (normally granada),

the way that everyone has a "manana attitude",

the lack of variety in shops - beers for example - in most shops there is san miguel cruzcampo and mahau...where´s all the other brands ?,

the lack of avaliability of chocolate bars,

the lack of SMALL packets of chrisps in supermarkets, i dont wanna be a big fat heffer and pick up a big bag i want a small bag please.

the lack of energy drinks in litre bottles.

the way that if you ask "why" in spain you get the reply of "erm, just because thats the way it is" there is no reason for anything

i know there is more i shall add as this goes on.. its opened up a right can of worms...

Last edited by bfg69bug; Apr 28th 2006 at 2:44 pm. Reason: adding more to it
Old Apr 28th 2006, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
MISS

cockney shouting in the market, proper bread that dont go off after an hour, decent bacon, woolworths / shops where you can buy everything, chocolate bars, old english country pubs, "pakistani" corner shops, sunday opening, cheap cars, going out with my mates and not spending any money, having constant work (agency worker), going to the pub on the quayside and looking over the boats as i drink a pint of cheap ipa, good wages, well paid jobs, the variety of races of people in london, the comunity spirit, the friendships (people popping round for a cuppa because they can, not like in spain because there is nothing else to do), a decent cup of tea, the avaliablity of console and pc games, the avaliability of CD´s, the presence of music shops, the english cinema,

being close to a decent beach (i lived ON the coast in the uk but the beach was mud), cheaper lager, the sun (upto 24 degrees. any more and its too hot), i guess thats all i like about spain.

and DISLIKE

the backstabbing, the inherent NEED to get drunk when you go out, the cheap drugs, the private dentists (yes you get seen straight away but it costs big €€), the nosy-ness, the everyone knows what you did last night (who with, where, and what time you got in), the lack of profesionalisim in banks and offices etc, the way that expats leave their brains at the aitports, the ways expats come to look at houses in spain and will buy a ruin when in the uk they wouldn´t touch it if it had a tiny crack in the plaster, the way nobody in spain knows what indicators are for, the police brutality against foreingers that speak no spanish, the way all the english stick to their own groups, the way work is hard to come by, the way people shop in large supermarkets so as to avoid speaking spanish to the shopkeeper, the constant bickering among the english, the large amount of spanish nationals that have been branded "gypsies" by the english, the slutty english girls who will sleep with anyone and anything for a drink or a line of coke, the way that the age of consent in spain is 14 and every guy in spain knows that and preys on young english girls, the way that every dodgy twat from the uk comes to spain having never picked up a trowel in their lives and is suddenly a builder , that there is more domestic violence in spain than the uk, the way that everything takes two weeks to be delivered from another place inland somewhere (normally granada), the way that everyone has a "manana attitude",

i know there is more i shall add as this goes on.. its opened up a right can of worms...
Blimey mate......you are not a happy bunny are you.....why are you still in Spain ?

I can't imagine that life is worse than in the UK, on the radio as I type, there's a 9 year old girl that's just got raped - by a man who climbed thru her bedroom window, and an 11 year old boy has been charged with a rape of a girl in a Sainsbury's toilet. That's what's just been on the news now......eeek.

There is always gunna be likes and dislikes everywhere .....but it sounds like you need to be back home.

Funnily enough, it's not put me off tho as I need to move out of this country as I don't want my kids being brought up here as the teachers in schools have CB's, CCTV, police patrol.....it's mad ! And i won't know what it's like to live somewhere else unless I try.

Hope it works out for you mate

Mich
Old Apr 28th 2006, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs eddie
there's a 9 year old girl that's just got raped - by a man who climbed thru her bedroom window, and an 11 year old boy has been charged with a rape of a girl in a Sainsbury's toilet.
last summer in my town a 12 year old english girl was gang raped by 7 spanish guys between 14 and 25...100 yards from where her parents were sitting having dinner. you hear about it more in the uk, it goes on unreported in spain.

There is always gunna be likes and dislikes everywhere .....but it sounds like you need to be back home.
too true everyone has their opinions.

I don't want my kids being brought up here
the age of consent in spain is 14. an "E" is 2€, cheaper than a pint of beer, cocaine is 60€ a gramme. guys in spain give out cocaine in exchange for blowjobs. 90% of the teenagers i know in spain dont go to school.

its your call.. i hope it works out for you too.

why does everyone want to move to a different country.. why not just move out to the stix in england ? its a better life out in the country, move away from the big cities - in the school / sixth form i went to the worst that ever happened was grafiti in the toilets.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

last summer in my town a 12 year old english girl was gang raped by 7 spanish guys between 14 and 25...100 yards from where her parents were sitting having dinner. you hear about it more in the uk, it goes on unreported in spain.

too true everyone has their opinions.

the age of consent in spain is 14. an "E" is 2€, cheaper than a pint of beer, cocaine is 60€ a gramme. guys in spain give out cocaine in exchange for blowjobs. 90% of the teenagers i know in spain dont go to school.

its your call.. i hope it works out for you too.

why does everyone want to move to a different country.. why not just move out to the stix in england ? its a better life out in the country, move away from the big cities - in the school / sixth form i went to the worst that ever happened was grafiti in the toilets.

Gosh thats awful, which town do you live in ??????

We are moving to Spain as in England my husband and I both work, never see eachother, always shattered, stressed out - take it out on kids....don't mean to obviously ! We are in debt, as sooooooo expensive to live.........it is an idea going in the sticks in England, but in the sticks it's lonely, need two cars to get anywhere, cost of a home would be similar to the city...so I'd still have to work and be in same boat but with no-one around me with the weather still being pants...!!

I want to have a more relaxed life, enjoy my babies, enjoy my husband in a sunny climate. Moving to a small town called Oliva, been there - hate to think of the things you have said happening there.....

AS to drugs, I'm afraid it's the same in Bristol, where I live, it's dirt cheap, "E's" are about a couple of quid, and people are stoned in class cos they think it's big !!!! Looks like its hard to get away from this awful society where kids have got no morals..........

I'm scared now - wasn't concerned but I am now.......but we have to do this now while my kids are still babies and if it doesn't work out we'll come back.......hopefully better people for our life experience.

Take care

Mich
Old Apr 28th 2006, 3:47 pm
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of

We are moving to Spain as in England my husband and I both work, never see eachother, always shattered, stressed out - take it out on kids....don't mean to obviously ! We are in debt, as sooooooo expensive to live.........it is an idea going in the sticks in England, but in the sticks it's lonely, need two cars to get anywhere, cost of a home would be similar to the city...so I'd still have to work and be in same boat but with no-one around me with the weather still being pants...!!

I want to have a more relaxed life, enjoy my babies, enjoy my husband in a sunny climate. Moving to a small town called Oliva, been there - hate to think of the things you have said happening there.....

AS to drugs, I'm afraid it's the same in Bristol, where I live, it's dirt cheap, "E's" are about a couple of quid, and people are stoned in class cos they think it's big !!!! Looks like its hard to get away from this awful society where kids have got no morals..........

I'm scared now - wasn't concerned but I am now.......but we have to do this now while my kids are still babies and if it doesn't work out we'll come back.......hopefully better people for our life experience.

Take care

Mich
I bet that she is talking about the costa del sol or Torrevieja (not spelt that right I bet)
dont worry, its all nice and quiet in Oliva and this way..(Valencia) dont be put off, honestly, as i said before, we have only been here (Barxeta) since February but we love it, soooooo quiet, shops close on Sundays like they did when I was a small girl, it gives everybody time to visit family.
take no notice and just get yourself out here, you will love it, patsy
Old Apr 28th 2006, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

inland costa del sol, near coin.

but in the sticks it's lonely, need two cars to get anywhere
i hope you are going to live in a town in spain - you´ll find it even worse here.. is there a big supermarket in oliva? we need two cars and we live in a town house. you have to go where the work is, and unfortunatly you wont find it in the small towns - thats why everyone is moving out of them.

cost of a home would be similar to the city
cost of a house in the town i live in is the same as a house in marbella. the house we lived in in the uk (3 bed 2 bath detached garage) was on the coast and we sold for 89,000 pounds.

I want to have a more relaxed life, enjoy my babies, enjoy my husband in a sunny climate.
thats fair enough, you´ll have to work hard at it.

Moving to a small town called Oliva
good luck.

Take care

Mich
that wasn´t the intention, i was just trying to say that everything isn´t as good as everyone makes out. spain is spain, its not never never land.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by patsywhitehair
I bet that she is talking about the costa del sol or Torrevieja (not spelt that right I bet)
dont worry, its all nice and quiet in Oliva and this way..(Valencia) dont be put off, honestly, as i said before, we have only been here (Barxeta) since February but we love it, soooooo quiet, shops close on Sundays like they did when I was a small girl, it gives everybody time to visit family.
take no notice and just get yourself out here, you will love it, patsy

Oh thanks lovie.........that's what I want a family feel, easy and lovely for the kids.

I bet there's an awful part of every country....

Thanks again....put my mind at ease.

Take care
Old Apr 28th 2006, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

inland costa del sol, near coin.

i hope you are going to live in a town in spain - you´ll find it even worse here.. is there a big supermarket in oliva? we need two cars and we live in a town house. you have to go where the work is, and unfortunatly you wont find it in the small towns - thats why everyone is moving out of them.

cost of a house in the town i live in is the same as a house in marbella. the house we lived in in the uk (3 bed 2 bath detached garage) was on the coast and we sold for 89,000 pounds.

thats fair enough, you´ll have to work hard at it.

good luck.

that wasn´t the intention, i was just trying to say that everything isn´t as good as everyone makes out. spain is spain, its not never never land.

Hiya,

I won't have to work, my husband will work from home, for his boss in the Uk, as he's in IT so no prob there.

We are not going mad, we have budgeted and know what we have to spend. We are both learning the language and really want to be apart of our Spanish neighbours.

I think it's ignorant not to want to learn the language in a touristy place let alone in a prodominently Spanish town.

They have a Supermarket, but thats a good thing in my book with two babies needing nappies etc. although, as I do in England, i will shop at the small local shops as I feel they are important.

i have not got rose-tinted glasses on, I have said to myself I will probably hate it at first (worse case scenario....) and will miss my friends terribly.....but as I said before, it's what we feel we need to do and it can not be worse than our life at the mo....both on anti-d's, living on caffeine, fed up with greyness, rain and cold and people going around with faces like slapped arses......

We've got skype, bought phones for us and friends, getting web cams.......

We'll come back for hols and to catch up with friends........

I know we will work hard but the rewards....like time together as a family far outweigh anything else at this time in our lives.....

Have you gort plans to come back to England then ?
Old Apr 28th 2006, 5:14 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya,

I won't have to work, my husband will work from home, for his boss in the Uk, as he's in IT so no prob there.

We are not going mad, we have budgeted and know what we have to spend. We are both learning the language and really want to be apart of our Spanish neighbours.

I think it's ignorant not to want to learn the language in a touristy place let alone in a prodominently Spanish town.

They have a Supermarket, but thats a good thing in my book with two babies needing nappies etc. although, as I do in England, i will shop at the small local shops as I feel they are important.

i have not got rose-tinted glasses on, I have said to myself I will probably hate it at first (worse case scenario....) and will miss my friends terribly.....but as I said before, it's what we feel we need to do and it can not be worse than our life at the mo....both on anti-d's, living on caffeine, fed up with greyness, rain and cold and people going around with faces like slapped arses......

We've got skype, bought phones for us and friends, getting web cams.......

We'll come back for hols and to catch up with friends........

I know we will work hard but the rewards....like time together as a family far outweigh anything else at this time in our lives.....

Have you gort plans to come back to England then ?
DO NOT worry about Oliva. I was shocked to read the above post and suggest that bfg69bug needs to go home for a rest

In all the time I've been to Oliva I have never seen any crime, never felt threatened and never had any qualms about walking anywhere. I've never seen any yobbish behaviour and never seen anyone uncontrollably drunk. I'm sure Oliva has its fair share of problems but in general it seems a peaceful town with friendly people. I've sat on the beack in the early hours of the morning with no worries at all. Never been to coin so I don't know what its like there, and by the sounds of it I won't be going either

Everyone has different experiences in different places. I don't see the place through rose tinted glasses as I have kept an eye open for any of the above behaviour whenever I have been there.

But quite honestly I feel more intimidated if I'm out in Leamington Spa on a Saturday night when people are spewing up in the street, getting completely hammered, and shouting at the top of their voices.

I wouldn't worry Mrs Eddie! You'll enjoy Oliva. If you come over again after September then pm me and we'll meet up for a coffee or something

BTW there is a huge assortment of supermarkets in Oliva, about 5 in the centre I believe. Loads of bakeries, fisheries and butchers when you find them tucked away in the back streets and the choices are hugely better than back in the UK. Theres a big market on Fridays where the fresh fruit and veg is tremendous ..... All part of Olivas agricultural history.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 6:30 pm
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

I am sorry but I have to comment on your rant, but please note that this is partially tongue in cheek

MISS

How sad is that, plenty of shouting at the Spanish markets that I've been to

Only reason bread in the UK last longer is from the chemicals added, buying fresh everyday is better.

decent bacon,
Real Spanish sausage, our 12 month old can't get enough of it

Which then falls apart before you get it home, cheap crap.

chocolate bars,
Don't eat chocolate

Old style pavement cafe's to watch the world/girls go by

Loads of corner shops in the Spain I've been to

sunday opening,
Should be banned in the UK, Sunday is a day of rest, family day

cheap cars,
Rust buckets from all the salt used in winter

And you can't do that in Spain? Beautiful countryside walks, walks on the beach etc

No different to UK

going to the pub on the quayside and looking over the boats as i drink a pint of cheap ipa,
Plenty of bars on the quayside in Spanish ports.

good wages,
You get paid what your worth

well paid jobs,
As above

the variety of races of people in London,
who live in their own ghettos, and boy can you get some bad areas

the comunity spirit,
What community spirit, even the Police can't be bother to help these days

the friendships (people popping round for a cuppa because they can, not like in Spain because there is nothing else to do),
Thats the whole point of being in Spain, there is no huge pressure to get it done NOW.

a decent cup of tea,
Would agree with that

Get outside and have a walk, play some real sports with your Spanish neighbours

Use the Internet, Itunes is better

as above

the english cinema,
Get yourself skytv

being close to a decent beach (i lived ON the coast in the uk but the beach was mud),

cheaper lager,

guess thats all i like about Spain

and DISLIKE

the backstabbing,
And theres none in the UK???????

Try visiting a night club in London, spent many happy Sunday evenings with both Spanish and English in a local bar and NO-ONE got drunk.

the cheap drugs,
Just say NO

Private health schemes include dental work

the nosy-ness,
You must be from the south of England, from Watford gap north everyone knows everything

the everyone knows what you did last night (who with, where, and what time you got in),
See As above

What about the endless phone calls to call centers based in India when you what to speak to a bank official in the UK, every utility company have these awful computer phone systems in the uk

That can be the same in any country, and its not always expats its mainly tourists

the ways expats come to look at houses in Spain and will buy a ruin when in the uk they wouldn´t touch it if it had a tiny crack in the plaster,
There are no ruins left in the uk, so we can't try to rebuild, again its the way of life which most people enjoy.

the way nobody in Spain knows what indicators are for,
Same goes for the Irish, they have no idea what a roundabout is, but hey lets live and let live.

The Police brutality against young blacks driving a half decent car , where they just assume its stolen. Makes my blood boil !!!!!!!

Not so, try reading other forums and you will see many ex-brits live nowhere near other brits.

Try getting a job in the uk if your English, educated and over 40

the way people shop in large supermarkets so as to avoid speaking spanish to the shopkeeper,
Guess you never visited tesco's, asda, sainsbury when you were in the UK. But I do half agree with you on this point.

The constant bickering among the English, the Irish, the Jamaicans, the whatever the race, its all over the UK

the large amount of spanish nationals that have been branded "gypsies" by the english,
On the say so of the Spanish

the slutty english girls who will sleep with anyone and anything for a drink or a line of coke,
Can't comment, but have seen some pretty disagreeable sights in Birmingham, London,Vancouver, New York, Austin Texas etc etc etc

the way that the age of consent in Spain is 14 and every guy in Spain knows that and preys on young english girls,
When my daughter reaches 13 we shall return to good old blighty, 12 years to go and counting.

the way that every dodgy twat from the uk comes to spain having never picked up a trowel in their lives and is suddenly a builder ,
From what I have read on these forums would have to reluctantly agree

Don't think so, just that the Spanish are more vocal and expressive, which looks violent but mainly they are pussycats.

the way that everything takes two weeks to be delivered from another place inland somewhere (normally granada),
Again thats what we want, no pressure, do tomorrow what you can't do today, chill

That is a bad thing? I think not, we all rush around like headless chickens in the UK and for what, so we can have a heart attack and die, no, slow down, live long.

the lack of variety in shops - beers for example - in most shops there is san miguel cruzcampo and mahau...where´s all the other brands ?,
They all taste the same so what the problem.

I prefer wine bars

the lack of SMALL packets of chrisps in supermarkets, i dont wanna be a big fat heffer and pick up a big bag i want a small bag please.
Just as bad for you as chocolate, the Spanish eat a healthy diet

Oh shame, drink bottled water its better for you.

the way that if you ask "why" in spain you get the reply of "erm, just because thats the way it is" there is no reason for anything
That is the whole essence of Spanish life, don't let it get to you, go with the flow and you'll be a happy chappy.

No offense is intended but come on, :scared: if you truly felt all this you would be back in the UK
Old Apr 28th 2006, 7:26 pm
Sun, Sea & Sangria.

BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of

MISS

Hate cockneys and their loud mouths, I'm a North West man myself

Agreed

decent bacon,
Agreed

Corte Ingles - Puerto Banus

chocolate bars,
Gibraltar has everything you need

This is one thing I miss very much

Why?

sunday opening,
I can always get stuff on a Sunday, plus Corte Ingles is now open Sunday's for the duration of the summer season, Coin is close enough, if not go to La Canada

cheap cars,
Agree - it's a nightmare here to find anything under 8k that isn't a complete shed.

Never happened...ever

Your in Spain, you don't speak Spanish, what did you expect?
Gibraltar is not too far.

Sounds Nice.

good wages,
Wages in Spain are aweful, which is the reason I work in Gib.

well paid jobs,
Above.

the variety of races of people in london,
Colourful I guess.

the comunity spirit,
Rubbish, everyone in the UK is out for themselves just as much as they are here.

the friendships (people popping round for a cuppa because they can, not like in spain because there is nothing else to do),
Have good freinds here and in the UK.

a decent cup of tea,
Decent tea bags are easily found in Spain, however I don't drink the stuff myself, it's a cockney drink.

Gib

Gib

the english cinema,
never did like the pictures, always got some idiot drunk teenager behined me with a huge bag of noisy crisps, I prefer movies at home.

Love the beach, I live in San Pedro.

cheaper lager,
Stay away from the tourist hotspots and beer is cheaper than anything in the UK.

Nah mate, 34 degrees is more like it.

i guess thats all i like about spain.
That's sad.

and DISLIKE

the backstabbing,
Plenty here I agree, one thing that does take some time to get used to.

Why change the habit of a lifetime?

the cheap drugs,
You are complaining about cheap drugs????

I got private healthcare

the nosy-ness,
Not experienced this.

Again, must be a Coin thing.

That again is something we knew was a problem and deffo is, it's a matter of being patient and chilling out, remaining calm. This comes over time after getting away from the ridiculous British attitude of NOW NOW NOW & stressed aggression. One thing I really don't miss.

Expats have brains?

the ways expats come to look at houses in spain and will buy a ruin when in the uk they wouldn´t touch it if it had a tiny crack in the plaster,
Still looking after 2 years, half the stuff in Marbella is so overpriced it's comical.

the way nobody in spain knows what indicators are for,
BMW & Merc drivers in the UK are no better.

Not experienced or seen anything like this, ever.

A problem with the English indeed, they have huge chips on shoulders, you sound like one of them.

And you prefer the UK mentality????
That's one reason the place has become such a toilet under Labour, i'm glad to be out.
Have visa (or not) go to England for a decent job, house and benefits...what a joke.

English idiots who want to take over rather than intigrate. They should all be shot.

See above

Shoot them (English idiots)

Where are these girls, I wanna meet one.

the way that the age of consent in spain is 14 and every guy in spain knows that and preys on young english girls,
Not seen this at all.

A fact indeed.

It's the same in other European Countries i've lived in.

I love this relaxed way of thought, such a chilled alternative to the English stressed out, aggresive attitude which I am glad to be away from.

I know of many stores which sell ALL Belgian beers and most UK beers.

Gib

Gib - Multipacks

Drink more beer.

I can understand some of your frustration but living the coast myself I have not had the same experiences.
I simply love the way of life, the people, the atmosphere.

I will never go back to heart attack central that is the UK, never.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritBull
I can understand some of your frustration but living the coast myself I have not had the same experiences.
I simply love the way of life, the people, the atmosphere.

I will never go back to heart attack central that is the UK, never.
well thats what you get for not getting out at night...

Your in Spain, you don't speak Spanish, what did you expect?
Gibraltar is not too far.
cajate pendejo tengo ja siete años aqui y yo habla español perfectamente y para tu informacion, gibralter estas mas o meños un hora y media de mi casa...eso muyo lejo para ir al trabajo. no vas a gibralter a compra algunas juegos de consola o compactos- ver los precios tio estas MUY caro 17.99 libra para una compact?? eso es una broma en los sitios donde puede compra juegos en españa (eroski myramar cerca fuengerola, la cañada... ) ellos son €49,95 o mas.. carrisimo!!!!

yo tengo una problema con las drogas prohibidos que estas barata - el año pasado estoy una camarero y siempre yo ver las problemas que hacamos la coka...[/quote]

Originally Posted by kevray
i have to comment on your rant
it wasn´t a rant, just a list which is what was asked for ?

Which then falls apart before you get it home, cheap crap.
and the "todo" shops arn´t ?? :scared: wow i best go and buy some of their excellent imported goods!!!!!

decent bacon,
Real Spanish sausage, our 12 month old can't get enough of it
thats a good example, cos a 12 month old kid really has a choice what you feed it...

Plenty of bars on the quayside in Spanish ports.
i said CHEAP .. lol you been to estepona / marbella / sanpedro / or even malaga port for a drink ? talk about shock !

good wages,
You get paid what your worth
i wasn´t talking just about me. have you seen how much the Guardia Civil get paid ? its something pathetic like 250€ a week according to the 2 page spread in the sur in english. the local police get more than the guardia.

anyways.. back to the thread in hand.. what do the people who LIVE in spain like or dislike about spain and indeed miss from the uk ?

DISLIKE

the "the sun shines out of spains bumhole" brigade where spain is their idea of perfection. they are blinkered ignorant people. (NOT about you Britbull)

the way that people are prepared to travel for an hour to go shopping when in the uk everything is convienent and just down the road.

Last edited by bfg69bug; Apr 28th 2006 at 9:30 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.