What crisis ?

Old Jul 16th 2013, 8:33 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default What crisis ?

http://www.thelocal.es/20130716/top-...est-paid-in-eu

Certainly not for these guys, the best paid in the Eu.

Can't see their customers being greatly impressed though, considering the hell many of them are being put through in order to keep the guys at the top in the style to which they are accustomed.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What crisis ?

I think the key numbers are that there are between 100-200 millionnaire bankers in France, Germany and Spain, but in the UK there are 2,400! Ten times as many!

I'm not sure what I feel about this. In one way it is a disgrace, but on the other hand, there are probably 500 footballers making millionnaire salaries in England (and at least 100 in each of France, Germany and Spain)

If you want to earn massive salaries then the UK is definitely the place to be. There has been a huge exodus of Spanish footballers to England this year. And many others have gone to Germany and Italy
Old Jul 17th 2013, 8:57 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I think the key numbers are that there are between 100-200 millionnaire bankers in France, Germany and Spain, but in the UK there are 2,400! Ten times as many!

I'm not sure what I feel about this. In one way it is a disgrace, but on the other hand, there are probably 500 footballers making millionnaire salaries in England (and at least 100 in each of France, Germany and Spain)

If you want to earn massive salaries then the UK is definitely the place to be. There has been a huge exodus of Spanish footballers to England this year. And many others have gone to Germany and Italy
Not really a valid comparison with London being such a major financial business centre which would surely account for the much higher numbers.

As for the rest I mostly agree, though if other major leagues such as the Prem can pull in huge sums of money from various rights to help pay the ridiculous wages, how come La Liga can't do the same ?
Old Jul 17th 2013, 9:08 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Seems only yesterday you believed it was just as difficult to make any money in the UK as in Spain. But that was yesterday and a different debate.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

No wonder the EU are keen on the Tobin tax on UK banking activities!!
Old Jul 17th 2013, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

As for the rest I mostly agree, though if other major leagues such as the Prem can pull in huge sums of money from various rights to help pay the ridiculous wages, how come La Liga can't do the same ?
They can and do, but most of it goes to Barca and Madrid

The difference is that the big English teams are owned by Russia, American and Middle Eastern Billionnaires who finance the buying

Only Barca and Madrid can even afford to buy players. It is amazing that the other teams are as good as they are when many of the budgets are at championship or division 1 level
Old Jul 17th 2013, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

The difference is that with footballers there's a link between their rewards and the entertainment service they provide (i.e. what people are prepared to pay to watch them). It's also a profession that is open to most people - you've just got to be good enough. So in that sense it is very meritocratic.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 11:08 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by chopera
The difference is that with footballers there's a link between their rewards and the entertainment service they provide (i.e. what people are prepared to pay to watch them). It's also a profession that is open to most people - you've just got to be good enough. So in that sense it is very meritocratic.
If only bankers attained comparable level of skills and dedication, maybe there'd be a certain amount of justification regarding their excessive salaries.

I was going to mention politicians also but they have other means of getting their perks in order satisfy their greed and basically the only qualification they require is the ability to tell a never ending stream of porkies.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 1:21 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

You're a football fan right?
Old Jul 17th 2013, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
You're a football fan right?
Although I spend most winter weekends playing second row for a rugby team, I also support a Championship football team. I don't follow much of the La Liga or Premiership football, and I don't pay to watch football on TV. So, unlike the situation with the banks, it's not my money that contributes towards football players' exhorbitant wages. That's my point really - many people pay a lot of money to watch football and the money they pay goes to the people they watch. The footballers. And they accept that (otherwise they wouldn't pay). It's pretty fair in that respect. The only exception I can think of is the BBC's MOTD where all license payers' money is used to pay for football rights, regardles of whether some viewers actually want to watch it.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 2:18 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Although I spend most winter weekends playing second row for a rugby team, I also support a Championship football team. I don't follow much of the La Liga or Premiership football, and I don't pay to watch football on TV. So, unlike the situation with the banks, it's not my money that contributes towards football players' exhorbitant wages. That's my point really - many people pay a lot of money to watch football and the money they pay goes to the people they watch. The footballers. And they accept that (otherwise they wouldn't pay). It's pretty fair in that respect. The only exception I can think of is the BBC's MOTD where all license payers' money is used to pay for football rights, regardles of whether some viewers actually want to watch it.
A yes or no would have sufficed.....
Old Jul 17th 2013, 2:23 pm
On the road again.

I cancelled my Sky sports sub two years ago as I agree re the exorbitant wage bills and considered it overpriced anyway for how much I watch.

I've got by with a few streaming sites since then, but now they seem to be getting shut down in no time at all.

Anyway, being a BT customer I just came across their offer today.
38 Top Prem matches, FA Cup, Europa matches, various European league matches also, plus 69 rugby matches, should suit you guys, all completely FREE to BT customers who also possess a Sky card, if ordered before 1st Aug.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

And what is the answer? Yes or no ?
Old Jul 17th 2013, 3:20 pm
Straw Man.

And what is the answer? Yes or no ?
Pretty much past caring to be honest.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pretty much past caring to be honest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.