Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What can you tell me about Albox?

What can you tell me about Albox?

Old Aug 17th 2014, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

David Stagg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What can you tell me about Albox?

Thanks very much. All in the same boat then. You have been v. helpful and now we know!!!
Old Aug 17th 2014, 4:57 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keithtoon
Hola, so if i retire with a £100,000 pension pot and receive a quarter tax free will i have to pay tax on it when coming to spain? Or do i use a large pillow case and hide it!..... NAIVE how do they find out out you have £xxx amounts. I have been paying tax since i was 16 yrs old seems harsh you plan for your retirement then get a hit on your Tax Free Pot! Oops cheers David on the estate agent links.
If you are a Spanish Tax resident then you will find that although your lump sum was tax free in the UK, it's won't be regarded in the same way in Spain. It will be regarded as income and therefore will be taxable.

Yes .... it is harsh ... but then if you've chosen to come and live in Spain, the best way is to take the lump sum before you move whilst you are still a UK tax payer.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Keithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond repute

hola, calling Fred James..... Fingers crossed.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 4:58 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Mitzyboy got there before him
Old Aug 17th 2014, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Keithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond reputeKeithtoon has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Mitzy didnt see your post....but then do you have to declare it? I will pay my taxes on my income no probs doing that but pension pot seems a tad harsh.... Will buy property cash and pay taxes i have no problems doing that ...cheers keith
Old Aug 17th 2014, 5:07 pm
Senior Moment

Sorry Mitzy didnt see your post....but then do you have to declare it? I will pay my taxes on my income no probs doing that but pension pot seems a tad harsh.... Will buy property cash and pay taxes i have no problems doing that ...cheers keith
Well, no you wouldnt have to declare it, but if the tax authorities in Spain and the UK are talking to each other like it has been said that they are, then if you are found out I'm guessing you can expect some kind of fine / interest on top of the tax demand

I supposed it's a case of you DONT pay your money, you take your chances :-)
If it's a Government pension of course, then that isn't theoretically taxable at present (unless things have recently changed) in Spain, as Government pensions are taxed at source.

If you have both then presently you can declare on under your personal allowance in the UK, and your state pension under the Spanish allowance system in Spain. As said though, the lump sum is a problem :-)
Old Aug 19th 2014, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

shazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond repute

my auntie lived ther but came home long away from main towns but a very nice place and very nice to look at but i really depend on what your ideas are and what you want peice and quite or the hustle abd bustle of town. go there to see first and have a look around spend a few days there.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

lmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gilly Little
Can I ask for opinions on Albox, Almeria, as a place to retire too?
Gilly did you get my private message?
Old Aug 21st 2014, 12:52 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmj50
Gilly did you get my private message?
Gilly is unable to receive or send PM´s as she has insufficient posts.

Rosemary
Old Aug 21st 2014, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

lmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud of

Ah damn ok thanks
Old Aug 21st 2014, 4:38 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Lump sums taken when tax resident in Spain are liable to tax.

However, it is not as bad as it might appear at first as a considerable part of the lump sum can be tax free.

The calculation depends on each individual case, but the principle is fair.

The final value of your pension pot consists of money which you put in and the interest on that money over the life of the policy. You only pay tax on the percentage of the fund that is accounted for by the interest element, otherwise you would be paying tax on your own contributions.

Also, it is taxed at the savings rate rather than the income tax rate, which may be advantageous depending on the amounts involved.

Similarly, if you buy an annuity with the proceeds of the pension pot, you only pay tax on about a quarter of the income for the same reason.

Anyway, enough of taxes, can we please get back on topic and talk about Albox.

Last edited by Fred James; Aug 21st 2014 at 6:27 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Hola, thank you Fred, but i did get a tip on an earlier post
'take lump sum before you come to Spain'.
So big thank you to all! I will now think of something else to bore you all with lol........ Have a great weekend folks..... It is pretty chilly in hertford, Honest!