Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What business works in Spain

What business works in Spain

Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What business works in Spain

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Matt, just for once, could you try and post something positive and relevant to the thread PLEASE ?
You complain about people not posting but do you ever wonder why?
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:17 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Golf is tiring work I tells ya!
Yeahbut, they don`t play golf there. ;-))
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:19 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
I said a business plan.
Thanks for your imput though, can you explain more please?
A B&B doesnt come under the same rules as a Hotel does it?

Although, the question might be better worded as....Do the Spanish have B&B establishments like we have in the U.K.
Casa Santo Estevo will tell you about the paperwork involved with it.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:25 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Matt, just for once, could you try and post something positive and relevant to the thread PLEASE ?
You complain about people not posting but do you ever wonder why?
You know its funny but even when I stopped posting for ages this place didnt pick up....

I have posted endlessly regarding this particular subject actually and I'm sure if you used the search engine you would see that.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

I said a business plan.
Thanks for your imput though, can you explain more please?
A B&B doesnt come under the same rules as a Hotel does it?

Although, the question might be better worded as....Do the Spanish have B&B establishments like we have in the U.K.
They don't have B+B's per se, so the rules and regs are grouped in with hotels.
There are loads though, mainly illegal and run by ex-pats!
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valenciatim
They don't have B+B's per se, so the rules and regs are grouped in with hotels.
There are loads though, mainly illegal and run by ex-pats!
Hmm, with my pedigree I won't be doing anything illegal.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
How about something as simple as offering english language lessons at home? I don't think you could make a living off it, but a nice supplemental income is certainly possible. No?
Yes, I agree.

But depending on how seriously you took it, it could either be a bit of extra cash on the side, or a fully fledged profit making business.

If all you want is extra cash on the side, just offer conversation classes. Not sure what the going rate would be in your area, but say about 10 euros an hour. No qualifications needed.

If you wanted to take it more seriously, get qualified (CELTA/DELTA) and learn Spanish. Don't touch private classes - you won't get enough money from them. Aim for companies and teach to small groups. Charge 40€ per hour upwards.

Your geographical location would have a huge impact on earnings. Don't go to the Costas....too many Brits (ie, competition) and the Spaniards' level of English already tends to be pretty good.

Go to inland cities....the level of english will be much lower and you'll have less competition.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:02 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Casa Santo Estevo will tell you about the paperwork involved with it.
Yep we can...especially for Galicia as each community in Spain has it's own rules. (To be expected!)
To bust a few myths about running a B&B:
We do not serve just the expats.
We near the coast and neither is our season short, despite being up in the so-called wet and windy north.
There are many regulations to cope with like we are inspected twice a year to ensure we comply with various rules like hygiene etc.

Featherbum yes there is a spellchecker on this forum.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:10 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Right, since you want a sensible answer I will try and offer my personal opinion.

Regarding the B&B idea, you are basically trying to cater for the more refined client, because lets face it, your tattooed beer swilling chav with 4 kids and a gum chewing wife is not going to be going off the beaten track to stay with you when he can get karaoke and half price drinks on some crap strewn beach hole somewhere.

Now herein lies your problem, you are therefore catering for the more discerning clientele, which in itself brings problems because there are so many doing it you will have to be different from the rest, which then leads on to the next problem, firstly by doing it differently you are limiting you market, then you are faced with how to do it differently. Do you go ecco? Well there is an option, but with that comes the problem of the current financial crisis. I know from selling organic meat here in the UK than the people, hard pressed with little money, are NOT paying for an ethereal thing like "organic" or "ecco" or "green". They want value for money now and nothing else will do.

So, what do you offer? Well there lies the rub, find that extra element they will get with you and no one else and you have the edge, and it might be something simple like the fact that you and your partner are just the sweetest people ever...

I have lived in a family home that was turned over to B&B, have run a smallholders business that relied on B&B's and my OH's parents own a successful one in Sussex, they are hard to get right, and take a huge toll when they are good... anyone that says they are an easy business to be in isn't doing it right.

Now can I PLEASE go back to being a twat?
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo

Featherbum yes there is a spellchecker on this forum.
yes i know, i was being sarky after it took me an hour to decipher one of the messages.... sorry!
sorry to interrupt the thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:29 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by featherbum
yes i know, i was being sarky after it took me an hour to decipher one of the messages.... sorry!
sorry to interrupt the thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I now datt e wash two.

There is a lot of truth in rugby's words.
We have had a house full after the puente. Now relaxing on here whilst working on a website.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
I now datt e wash two.

There is a lot of truth in rugby's words.
We have had a house full after the puente. Now relaxing on here whilst working on a website.
ah i am all sarky then i am too innocent to see when ppl are being sarky to me, duh!

ooh can i be your web designer? (no winking smiley?!)
Old Dec 8th 2008, 10:05 am

Yo soy el web master
Old Dec 8th 2008, 10:30 am
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

B&B doesnt come under the same rules as a Hotel does it? near to the same rules , water is charged same as hotel prices , wheelchair access is the same as hotel rules , ha where the tourists , ?
Old Dec 8th 2008, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

I would go for a sweet shop close to, and on the main route to a large school. That seems to work anywhere in the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.