Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What business works in Spain

What business works in Spain

Old Dec 8th 2008, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute
Default What business works in Spain

The "Don't buy a bar in Spain" thread set me thinking.
A move to Spain for me would involve some sort of work based enterprise, if only to stop the wife from going mad. (I don't know how she will cope when the mandatory to old to work date arrives)

So it set me thinking, What business works in Spain for an Ex Pat.

I know about the butcher in (torremolinos i think) who opened up a butchers there. But everybody who goes to Spain seems to want to open a bar or a Cafe. Both of which, reputedly, are high turn over businesses. But high turnover doesnt mean profit and if your not the right fit in that place at that time you die very quickly.

So does anyone have an opinion as to what business works well and is needed to serve the EX-Pat community on Spain please?
Old Dec 8th 2008, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What business works in Spain

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
The "Don't buy a bar in Spain" thread set me thinking.
A move to Spain for me would involve some sort of work based enterprise, if only to stop the wife from going mad. (I don't know how she will cope when the mandatory to old to work date arrives)

So it set me thinking, What business works in Spain for an Ex Pat.

I know about the butcher in (torremolinos i think) who opened up a butchers there. But everybody who goes to Spain seems to want to open a bar or a Cafe. Both of which, reputedly, are high turn over businesses. But high turnover doesnt mean profit and if your not the right fit in that place at that time you die very quickly.

So does anyone have an opinion as to what business works well and is needed to serve the EX-Pat community on Spain please?
I think that last phrase is telling..... a number of failed & returned ex-pats round here (not all English, Dutch too) came to grief because certainly in the campo the Spanish way of doing things is so long established - you want something, say a cement mixer, sewing machine, whatever, so you go to your family: brother, cousin, whoever, who either sells it or points you in the right direction. You wouldn't go to a newly established foreign-run business however attractively located/decorated. If you set up a business totally dependent on ex-pats you have to be totally sure of not only the business itself but also the footfall/market (which you clearly know hence the question).... I'd be more interested to know a business that would actually appeal to both Spanish and ex-pat customers. That would be a winner!
Old Dec 8th 2008, 1:29 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

"Don't buy a bar in Spain" thread is very good but again know few mates that in the bussines and are make good lifehood for them self , but yes like ever think , lots bussines are making less with the turn down , this morring on El pais about ConstituciĆ³n and company over ratting proptry prices , so you ask what is there to make money at , enterprise mmmmm do you want to sink your money in to somethink new ? , the industry i am in is to hit rock bottom in jan/feb you look all the real estate promotor, going into bankruptcy , one comany had 20 people employed 2 years ago and now the own dose very think from website , phones , meeting people . tourists is down ask the airlines that park up planes last 6-8 weeks rotes been axed and hotels here over charging when drop prices that many fill

Poeple still have money but will think twice in spending it and will do it wisely

What business works in Spain ?, me i dont real know but i com back to you on that
jur
Old Dec 8th 2008, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Yes a business that caters for all would be great, but learning Spanish is the most important part first.

As for the economic down trend. it wont always go down and it also means that more involvement with and application of the 7 "P"'s is required.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

How about something as simple as offering english language lessons at home? I don't think you could make a living off it, but a nice supplemental income is certainly possible. No?
Old Dec 8th 2008, 4:20 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

its has to be something needed , somethink not out price range , somethink that every one will talk about and in good way , easy to sale , holy water !
Old Dec 8th 2008, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

doesn't this thing have spell check
Old Dec 8th 2008, 5:54 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Prostitution seems to be thriving!
Old Dec 8th 2008, 6:35 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
I think that last phrase is telling..... a number of failed & returned ex-pats round here (not all English, Dutch too) came to grief because certainly in the campo the Spanish way of doing things is so long established - you want something, say a cement mixer, sewing machine, whatever, so you go to your family: brother, cousin, whoever, who either sells it or points you in the right direction. You wouldn't go to a newly established foreign-run business however attractively located/decorated. If you set up a business totally dependent on ex-pats you have to be totally sure of not only the business itself but also the footfall/market (which you clearly know hence the question).... I'd be more interested to know a business that would actually appeal to both Spanish and ex-pat customers. That would be a winner!
If you wanted to set up a business in the UK would you have a greater market in somewhere like Manchester, Birmingham or London, or in a seaside resort? (Well, a b&b may sound as though it would fare better on the coast, but the season would be short; they can actually do very well in cities). Same in Spain - if you want Spanish customers go to Madrid or Valencia, not to a resort destination. There are plenty of Irish pubs that have kept going, and make money in the bigger cities, so it's not a case of the Spanish clientele only spending their money in local tapas bars.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
If you wanted to set up a business in the UK would you have a greater market in somewhere like Manchester, Birmingham or London, or in a seaside resort? (Well, a b&b may sound as though it would fare better on the coast, but the season would be short; they can actually do very well in cities). Same in Spain - if you want Spanish customers go to Madrid or Valencia, not to a resort destination. There are plenty of Irish pubs that have kept going, and make money in the bigger cities, so it's not a case of the Spanish clientele only spending their money in local tapas bars.
Agreed. I was actually trying to think outside the box (did I use that phrase?) re things other than bars/cafes/etc
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:07 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Prostitution seems to be thriving!
They added 80 rooms to our local golfers club. ;-))
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fionamw
Agreed. I was actually trying to think outside the box (did I use that phrase?) re things other than bars/cafes/etc

That was the point of the question, thinking outside of the box.
Trust rugbymatt to think of the wrong ..............!

A B&B, would be a good base for a business plan though.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

That was the point of the question, thinking outside of the box.
Trust rugbymatt to think of the wrong ..............!

A B&B, would be a good base for a business plan though.
Not to do it legally from scratch, if you look at the rules and regs and monthly costs involved!
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:11 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
They added 80 rooms to our local golfers club. ;-))
Golf is tiring work I tells ya!
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by valenciatim
Not to do it legally from scratch, if you look at the rules and regs and monthly costs involved!
I said a business plan.
Thanks for your imput though, can you explain more please?
A B&B doesnt come under the same rules as a Hotel does it?

Although, the question might be better worded as....Do the Spanish have B&B establishments like we have in the U.K.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.