Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

what is the average cost ?

what is the average cost ?

Old Oct 15th 2014, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what is the average cost ?

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Explain to me why most Spanish restaurants (as do the UK) have large freezers in their kitchens as well as microwaves I am sure they are not empty or not used.

There are also frozen food aisles in the supermarkets as well as stand alone shops selling nothing but frozen food.

If you believe that all the food you get served in Spanish restaurants is fresh you are deluded, especially the seafood.

I use a couple of cafe/bars locally where the seafood is fresh but you pay a premium for it over other cafe/bars.
Be it Spain or UK, freezers are used everywhere and there's noting wrong if you freeze certain products. If a place is selling a whole Steak for the price mentioned, it will never be grass-fed, so it's not quality.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Be it Spain or UK, freezers are used everywhere and there's noting wrong if you freeze certain products. If a place is selling a whole Steak for the price mentioned, it will never be grass-fed, so it's not quality.
The cows all eat grass up here. I see them everyday!

When my American sister in-law came to Spain she couldnt believe the incredible quality of Asturian steaks. She said they were the best she ever had. And she grew up on a cattle farm!

British people make wrong food choices. In Spain you can eat steaks of fantastic quality, but they will set you back 30-40 euros/kilo at the butchers while British people in Spain want to pay 10 euros/kilo

Food is amazing in Spain if you pay for it!

Last edited by cricketman; Oct 15th 2014 at 12:42 am.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Food is amazing in Spain if you pay for it!
Exactly, so the argument that you get quality food for €6 is over
Old Oct 15th 2014, 1:05 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

For me, this isn't a pissing match about whether UK or Spanish food is better, although after finding out that the original argument about how much more expensive everything is in Spain turned out to be not true, the debate has obviously turned that way...

You can get good food anywhere. My argument is that for any given quality of food, the prices will most certainly be cheaper in Spain... and good value in food is a lot easier to find than in the UK (price for a given quality).

...or at least here in Mallorca - unless of course, you go where British tourists eat, and then of course, it will likely be on par or more expensive than the UK.

Just this weekend we enjoyed an evening with some friends (from the UK) at a pretty upscale restaurant in central Palma - and both the service and meal were truly excellent - as good or better than anything you'll find in the UK. Starter, main course, dessert, excellent wines and apertif.. all very obviously chef-prepared and very obviously from fresh ingredients. But the tab was €89 for four - complete. I'm not joking. Our guests were shocked at the price, and also claimed that meal for four would be at least into the upper 100-quid range in the UK...

Again, back to the original debate - it's not about who is better - only that claiming food and cost of living in Spain is more expensive than the UK is simply contrary to what you find on the street (expat areas excepted).

But I will stand by my claim that the average fruit & veg here are generally far better than the average you find in the UK - and cheaper too (at least here in Mallorca).
Old Oct 15th 2014, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
You can get good food anywhere. My argument is that for any given quality of food, the prices will most certainly be cheaper in Spain... and good value in food is a lot easier to find than in the UK (price for a given quality).
Yes. Actually at the high end. The food and drink in Spain is way cheaper than the UK, probably half the price.

At the bottom end there probably isnt much difference
Old Oct 15th 2014, 1:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cricketman
Usual bla bla etc etc. And whether you live in Spain or not, most Brits in Spain are still tourists
So after 22 years living and working in Madrid I'm still a tourist! nice to know
Old Oct 15th 2014, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mfh
So after 22 years living and working in Madrid I'm still a tourist! nice to know
So you missed the bit saying "most Brits"
Old Oct 16th 2014, 10:02 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

If you exclude the Weatherspoons, Hungry Horse , all those pre packed portion controlled places a decent meal for two with wine in the UK will cost between £60-£80.
Even the new style Indian restaurants which are growing in popularity are in this price range.
If you dine out regularly at the UK chains then some will find decent restaurants in Spain and Portugal expensive but you get what you pay for.