Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

what is the average cost ?

what is the average cost ?

Old Oct 12th 2014, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what is the average cost ?

Originally Posted by cricketman
With the exception of London. That is at Madrid/Barcelona pre-crash levels
All I'm saying is that people can compare as much as they like. We all know that housing is cheap in Spain, but when you have €600 a month you'll find it pretty expensive. Quality food will cost money wherever you go and it's pointless to argue, as we all have different tastes. I can grow tomatoes at home for free and believe that most people wouldn't even taste the difference if it's my tomato, one from Spain, or Greece.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
All I'm saying is that people can compare as much as they like. We all know that housing is cheap in Spain, but when you have €600 a month you'll find it pretty expensive. Quality food will cost money wherever you go and it's pointless to argue, as we all have different tastes. I can grow tomatoes at home for free and believe that most people wouldn't even taste the difference if it's my tomato, one from Spain, or Greece.
You are correct but forget to mention that the average salary in Spain is 2,000 euros per month rather than 600

God knows how those on 600 euros per month do survive (there are millions of them), but somehow they do
Old Oct 13th 2014, 12:35 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
That's funny, I went out for a restaurant meal on Saturday in London. Better than any meal I have ever had in Spain.

Of course I have had good meals in Spain and poor ones in England but overall I do think for choice and quality the Uk is best.

Also why is it that when my wife cooks me a meal in the Uk, it tastes better than the same meal cooked in Spain?

You really must take your rose tinted specs. off occasionally and recognise that not everything in Spain is better than the UK.
It's not a pissing match. There are plenty of things in the UK that are better than the Spanish version. Things like broadband and energy/electricity come to mind. Meat is better. Yes.

And true, you can find excellent restaurants in the UK - especially in London. But you can also find just as good dining here. But when you do, it will likely cost a lot less than when you find it in the UK.

Yet, that discussion is also a little subjective, because a lot of it comes down to taste. I for one, admittedly don't fancy typical British comfort food, although I am not opposed to it, but I'm not comparing Roast beef & pud to Paella either.

**** if you want roast beef & pud here, then yes, it's likely to be a bit dear and harder to find - except in the tourist resorts, and also because those who'd offer it know very well that those that fancy it will likely be living on a sterling economy and happy to pay what they'd pay in the UK - or more ****

I for one, have developed a fair liking for Mediterranean cuisine, but I agree there are a lot of places that do it poorly - even in Spain.

But I still can't find places in the UK like around here, who deliver good quality, generous-portioned meals for under €10. We have plenty of them here. Quality is surprising - especially the fruit & veg. usually for under €10 per person - including a decent, often home-made dessert. Bottle of mid-quality tinto - €5 (or less) €10 if you choose extra-posh. At almost any carvery or average restaurant in the UK, you wouldn't get away without paying less than 50 quid for two - and likely a lot more.

But I still can't be led to believe that supermarket shopping is cheaper or of better quality in the UK - especially when it comes to fruit & veg - (OK, meat excepted - admittedly it's not that good here unless you go to a butcher and have it cut to your specs).

More choices in UK supermarkets? certainly, but some quantum leap in quality? No, definitely not, sorry. Prices are definitely higher in the UK, for most things despite equal or lesser quality. Yes, curry sauce and peanut butter are exceptions. Much cheaper in the UK. But I think that's more of a supply/demand issue. Still, there's always Carrefour and Alcampo if selection is what you fancy - and they are both far cheaper than Tesco for most things.

I think the food at M&S is quite good quality - wish we had one here - but it still can't compare on price.

But yes it also depends on where you shop. I also can pay a fortune for rather awful stuff here if I choose. There is a British shop about 20km from here. High prices, average or poor quality, but it's all "British". Yes, they do have a lot of <british> stuff you can't get in the regular supermarkets. Fortunately, I don't need that stuff, so no need to shop there. I know people who shop there religiously, but they also seem to be the only ones who claim it's "expensive" here.

Last edited by amideislas; Oct 13th 2014 at 1:29 am.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neptuno
Chrisjolly-
I live in Murcia, and have never seen a meal for 6 euros, unless you are only counting 1 course.
There you go again doubting that you can get a 3 course meal for 6€. You live in the wrong part of Murcia! Try using the Gasolineria, ok its attached to a petrol station but so what, its catering to truckers, its on the Main road from Fortuna to Pinoso (rm422) just past the Barinas T Junction.

We have two bars in our local village both offer menu del dia for 8/9€ and both very good value. The MDD are exactly what you described earlier, why would you want anything more extravagant for lunch?
Old Oct 13th 2014, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
There you go again doubting that you can get a 3 course meal for 6€. You live in the wrong part of Murcia! Try using the Gasolineria, ok its attached to a petrol station but so what, its catering to truckers, its on the Main road from Fortuna to Pinoso (rm422) just past the Barinas T Junction.

We have two bars in our local village both offer menu del dia for 8/9€ and both very good value. The MDD are exactly what you described earlier, why would you want anything more extravagant for lunch?
The choice is limited, it gets boring.
Fresh veg wouldn't go amiss, as would more imaginative puds.
Why is meat the thickness of an insole?

There are lots of MDD around here, all much of a muchness.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Why are people so focused on cheap food? If you can get a 3 course meal for €6 you know it can only be crap.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

I too have sampled many cheap MDD and after a while you get tired of limp salad followed by lomo and fries and a tiny pot of desert from the freezer.

You get what you pay for. And at a crappy pathetic six euros no-one wins.

You get a crap meal and the bar owner earns nothing.

At six euros when you deduct the IVA and the staff cost alone there's very little left.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Both are or appear to be good value.

They're not good value for the owner or the staff rate of pay. Prices like this supress staff wages and force owners and their families often to work many unpaid hours.

If your happy eating that food regularly then that's fine. A lot of people want a bit more choice and don't consider a decent steak at lunchtime as being particularly extravagant.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stuboy
They're not good value for the owner or the staff rate of pay. Prices like this supress staff wages and force owners and their families often to work many unpaid hours.

Have to agree and these people paying €6 for a meal then wonder why our economy is failing.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

graymel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stuboy
I too have sampled many cheap MDD and after a while you get tired of limp salad followed by lomo and fries and a tiny pot of desert from the freezer.

You get what you pay for. And at a crappy pathetic six euros no-one wins.

You get a crap meal and the bar owner earns nothing.

At six euros when you deduct the IVA and the staff cost alone there's very little left.
Hi Stuboy, what is lomo ? And IVA ?
Old Oct 13th 2014, 8:18 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graymel
Hi Stuboy, what is lomo ? And IVA ?
Lomo is pork and IVA is a tax.

Rosemary
Old Oct 13th 2014, 8:25 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

It may be Portugal but the issue is the same, there does seem to be a culture among some expats to seek out the cheapest meal of the day.
Be it a shapeless, tasteless greasy lump of meat or a small fish that has spent more of its life at the bottom of the deep freeze than the sea.
I do not blame the restaurant owners they are just satisfying a market and trying to cover their costs.
We look for the places that are popular with the locals rather than the cheapest.
We have had some very good meals for 10-12 euros and if we do not get a table early then forget it.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013

Have to agree and these people paying €6 for a meal then wonder why our economy is failing.
When I go out to eat I never think how will what I order effect a countries economy,my economy must come first,most food outlets promote cheap eye catching offers to get you through the door, however after that it's always down to choice.

I take the point you get what you pay for if it's 6 euros or 600 euros but whats in your wallet/purse will dictate that choice, all posts are good and have valid points.

PS where can I find the euro symbol on a keyboard
Old Oct 13th 2014, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: what is the average cost ?

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Lomo is pork and IVA is a tax.

Rosemary
Thanks Rosemary, so what is chops seems funny saying lomo chops I really must start learning Spanish I want to respect the people and country when we move to Spain
Old Oct 13th 2014, 9:47 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I was not clear enough just now but I was in a hurry. Pork chop is chuleta de cerdo, lomo is actually the same pork cut away from the bone so it is less hassle. If you start by learning the words for food at least you will be more confident in restaurants and the supermarket.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.