Wikiposts

What is this?

Old Jun 17th 2011, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

lovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nice
Default Re: What is this?

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
Swimming pool if in constant use will not be the source.
Yes, cover air vent with same mesh.
You may have probs with using double sided tape as in the heat the glue tends to soften and with the wind the mesh may disappear. If the frame is wood you can use staples or drawing pins, if other material lots of folks get the mesh stretched onto a frame that can then be attached to window frame.
Mozzie nets for beds are like a tent and usually suspended from the ceiling or purpose made floor based pole, this way you are not near the curtain.
OK well the window frames are plastic and am only renting so I do not want to be paying out for frames made, I may not renew after this year. So not sure what I can do, the bedroom window opens inwards and I was going to stick mesh on the outside. Maybe I can just replace tape if I see it coming loose, I am only doing that one window so not a big job.
If I have to resort to bed net also, I have a ceiling fan so it can't hang from above so where do I buy the frame and how much is that going to cost? beginning to wonder why I left my Tenerife apartment, never got one mozzi in there in 5 years.

Last edited by lovethesun; Jun 17th 2011 at 6:40 am.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:03 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

To list all the horrors found in Spain would take forever. I'm less squeamish now than when I arrived, but still jump when yet another monster appears. We have various sprays and other things under the sink and in the bathroom, literally dozens of them, and still they get through.

Those monsters have been here for far longer than any of us. They're not encroaching on our territory, we're encroaching on theirs. It's hot and sticky tonight, their weather, and I keep looking around for whatever is going to arrive next. Something will.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 10:39 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the fly/moth in the picture is a problem.

Not all small moths are clothes moths. There are hundreds and hundreds of different species of small moth. The clothes moth is reasonable triangular and has a white collar round the head if memory serves. Google it and then you woun't go killing all the innocent ones.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Not a moth at all......
I'm afraid I don't know the Spanish name for them but the Americans call them NO SEE UMS....
A name that perfectly describes them I think as they are so small you don't always see them, but just like the midges in the UK they do nip, so you certainly feel them!
At dusk here they hover over the olive trees at the back of our house in great numbers and the swallows feast on them.
Unfortunately they still get into the house even though we have mozzie screens at every window, the only way to be free of them is fly spray.

Last edited by megmet; Jun 17th 2011 at 12:52 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:36 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
Not a moth at all......
I'm afraid I don't know the Spanish name for them but the Americans call them NO SEE UMS....
A name that perfectly describes them I think as they are so small you don't always see them, but just like the midges in the UK they do nip, so you certainly feel them!
At dusk here they hover over the olive trees at the back of our house in great numbers and the swallows feast on them.
Unfortunately they still get into the house even though we have mozzie screens at every window, the only way to be free of them is fly spray.
I think the pictured insect isn't a biter and is far too big to get thru the screens.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lovethesun
OK well the window frames are plastic and am only renting so I do not want to be paying out for frames made, I may not renew after this year. So not sure what I can do, the bedroom window opens inwards and I was going to stick mesh on the outside. Maybe I can just replace tape if I see it coming loose, I am only doing that one window so not a big job.
If I have to resort to bed net also, I have a ceiling fan so it can't hang from above so where do I buy the frame and how much is that going to cost? beginning to wonder why I left my Tenerife apartment, never got one mozzi in there in 5 years.
Travel nets would suit your purpose, they are like a tent that fits over your bed, hate to use the phrase but Google them and you will find plenty.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What is this?

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
Travel nets would suit your purpose, they are like a tent that fits over your bed, hate to use the phrase but Google them and you will find plenty.
If you go anywhere near IKEA they do them ready made, start as as acircle about 2ft dia which you attach to a hook in the ceiling and then they balloon out to cover a double bed. Cheap as chips.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

searcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nice

You can stick the screen up by running a line of silicone sealer (like you squeeze round the bath) around the window frame and push the net/screen on while its soft. just peel it off in the autum. We lift our inward facing windows off their hinges for the summer and store. Only work if you have a drop shutter for the odd rain squall! I find mercadonas plugin mossie repelant works. I put it on a 12 hr timer to make it last longer
Old Jun 18th 2011, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
If you go anywhere near IKEA they do them ready made, start as as acircle about 2ft dia which you attach to a hook in the ceiling and then they balloon out to cover a double bed. Cheap as chips.
They can't use this type because of ceiling fan. Travel ones are like a tent with poles and they sit on the bed.

Top idea about the silicone gel, thanks.