What is this?

Old Jun 17th 2011, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

lovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nice
Default What is this?

Can anybody tell me what this is, I am very confused. When I first moved in this apartment a couple of weeks ago I got the familiar mozzi buzzing when I switched the light off to go to sleep. So light back on and hunted down something that looked like this, so I presumed this was a mozzi. However now I am over run with them during the day! and I don't hear the familiar buzz from any, I killed 98!!! yesterday, as fast as I was killing them they were reappearing, today killed about 40 always mostly in the kitchen. I have been told that Mozzies usually show up at dawn and dusk but like I say, this is during the daytime, I am sick of them. I put a mozzi plugin and 6 of the little !@!@!@s were sitting round it on the wall. So now I am wondering if they are mozzies at all as they don't look the same as google images. This photo is blown up, they are in fact quite tiny, Can someone help, what are they?
Attached Thumbnails What is this?-what-.jpg  

Last edited by lovethesun; Jun 17th 2011 at 12:21 am.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is this?

Originally Posted by lovethesun
Can anybody tell me what this is, I am very confused. When I first moved in this apartment a couple of weeks ago I got the familiar mozzi buzzing when I switched the light off to go to sleep. So light back on and hunted down something that looked like this, so I presumed this was a mozzi. However now I am over run with them during the day! and I don't hear the familiar buzz from any, I killed 98!!! yesterday, as fast as I was killing them they were reappearing, today killed about 40 always mostly in the kitchen. I have been told that Mozzies usually show up at dawn and dusk but like I say, this is during the daytime, I am sick of them. I put a mozzi plugin and 6 of the little !@!@!@s were sitting round it on the wall. So now I am wondering if they are mozzies at all as they don't look the same as google images. This photo is blown up, they are in fact quite tiny, Can someone help, what are they?
Can't give you a name but that looks like it's a moth. Due to the wierd weather there has been a huge amount of every insect coming out at the same time.
I can tell you it is not a mozz, it's got no nozz.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
Can't give you a name but that looks like it's a moth. Due to the wierd weather there has been a huge amount of every insect coming out at the same time.
I can tell you it is not a mozz, it's got no nozz.
Lidl sells a 'Trampa de pollilas' (moth trap) which attracts them and glues them. If lidl has sold out ask at a ferreteria. I bought one and it does the trick. I don't even notice I've got moths but I left it out overnight night before last and got 2.
Check out your drawers and edges of any rugs etc in case you have some eating your clothing. I recommend you give your laundry (esp anything stored for a long time) a good wash and return them to your drawers in sealed plastic bags.
I once lived in a rental house with a wool carpet that was overrun with them round all the edges. (posh place too!) Moth killers, traps and repellents are in every supermarket . So it seems Spain has a lot of them!
Old Jun 17th 2011, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Lidl sells a 'Trampa de pollilas' (moth trap)
Or polillas even! A typo!
Old Jun 17th 2011, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

lovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nice

Thank you everybody, I nearly posted again at 4am when I was woken by the bbzzzzzzzzzzz so I sat in bed and waited and watched, then there it was a very thin long legged flying thing. I captured it in a glass and got my magnifying glass and it was obvious I had found my real attacker! I could see a pointed thing on its head and definitely looked like what all the google images showed, spindly legs. I hate killing anything, karma and all that :-) if it doesn't spread disease or cause me or my dog pain it can live here, I don't mind. I feel really bad now that I annihilated around 200 tiny moths when I thought they were mozzies mmmmm, forgot about them munching on my clothes though, will keep my eye on that.

Anyway my question now is
, can someone tell me please if you can buy mozzi net on a roll? I can then cut my own sizes and use with some double sided tape and also where would I buy a mozzi net for over bed? I want one for when family stay. Preferably Estepona end of the coast but I will travel to buy.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway my question now is
, can someone tell me please if you can buy mozzi net on a roll? I can then cut my own sizes and use with some double sided tape and also where would I buy a mozzi net for over bed? I want one for when family stay. Preferably Estepona end of the coast but I will travel to buy.
Yes. Mozzi net is on a roll from ferrateria, there is plastic or metal. Plastic is better if using tape.Bed nets available there also, well a good one should sell them.
I've never found plug ins or other deterents really work.

P.S. Make sure you have no standing water or damp areas around your property.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
Yes. Mozzi net is on a roll from ferrateria, there is plastic or metal. Plastic is better if using tape.Bed nets available there also, well a good one should sell them.
I've never found plug ins or other deterents really work.

P.S. Make sure you have no standing water or damp areas around your property.
Thanks do I buy the full roll or do I ask them to cut what I want? There is a swimming pool below surrounded by grass and trees. I am 5 floors up but think the ones in bathroom may be coming through airvent (there is no window) so want to cover that with net and also my bedroom window coz I'm having to sleep with ceiling fan on all night, so if this works it will be better.
What always puzzles me is, if a mozzie can stab (bite) you through any type of clothing, why can't they do it through mozzi net?
Old Jun 17th 2011, 2:40 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

You buy it by the metre. A mozzie could get to you through a net if the net was next to your skin. The idea is you cover your apertures (windows, vents etc.) so they can't get in. Unless you are in the habit of standing naked up against an open window the net should protect you.

I wonder if your little moth type things are what are called St. John Flies around here - so called because they will disappear by St John's day June 24th. They are tiny, barely visible and can be around all day in vast numbers. They are very irritating indeed. Perhaps a fly spray might help?
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jimenato
You buy it by the metre. A mozzie could get to you through a net if the net was next to your skin. The idea is you cover your apertures (windows, vents etc.) so they can't get in. Unless you are in the habit of standing naked up against an open window the net should protect you.

I wonder if your little moth type things are what are called St. John Flies around here - so called because they will disappear by St John's day June 24th. They are tiny, barely visible and can be around all day in vast numbers. They are very irritating indeed. Perhaps a fly spray might help?
Damn it that was the very thing I was going to do to keep cool in August, will have to think of another way now
Not sure about St Johns fly, interesting about the 24th June bit, will have to read up on that. Although they are small, they are black against white walls so clearly visible, anyway now I know they aren't mozzies we are living quite happily side by side today, funnily enough now I've stopped killing them, only seen about 10 today instead of 50+ I've probably killed them all, blown up picture does look like a tiny moth. Like I said, if it doesn't spread disease or cause me pain it can live with me. In Tenerife had a young lizard came in my bedroom every night for 6 months, I loved her, called her Izzie then one day she never came back I was so sad, I had to convince myself she had gone off to get married and have babies
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Damn it that was the very thing I was going to do to keep cool in August, will have to think of another way now
Not sure about St Johns fly, interesting about the 24th June bit, will have to read up on that. Although they are small, they are black against white walls so clearly visible, anyway now I know they aren't mozzies we are living quite happily side by side today, funnily enough now I've stopped killing them, only seen about 10 today instead of 50+ I've probably killed them all, blown up picture does look like a tiny moth. Like I said, if it doesn't spread disease or cause me pain it can live with me. In Tenerife had a young lizard came in my bedroom every night for 6 months, I loved her, called her Izzie then one day she never came back I was so sad, I had to convince myself she had gone off to get married and have babies
If you convince Izzie's relatives to live around your flat the moths will mostly disappear!
We had 'Kevin the special needs' lizard. So called because he kept falling off the walls and ceiling and we'd hear a plink in the middle of the night as he dropped into the light fitting to hoover up any that had found their way in there. Now we have moved into our own house we have a farden full of em. But they make no headway on the ants. Hot water baths for them next. I'm going off poisons since I feel 'Kevin' may have had one too many poisoned pest suppers.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Actually I'm wondering if this thing is actually what we call the 'stealth bomber fly'. I don't know what it is either but it seems v more common in Spain and used to hang around our bathroom in the rental house.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:44 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I'm wondering if this thing is actually what we call the 'stealth bomber fly'. I don't know what it is either but it seems v more common in Spain and used to hang around our bathroom in the rental house.
Love the name you gave it!!!!!!!

We occasionally get little pesky flies that nip us.

Rosemary
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

If you convince Izzie's relatives to live around your flat the moths will mostly disappear!
We had 'Kevin the special needs' lizard. So called because he kept falling off the walls and ceiling and we'd hear a plink in the middle of the night as he dropped into the light fitting to hoover up any that had found their way in there. Now we have moved into our own house we have a farden full of em. But they make no headway on the ants. Hot water baths for them next. I'm going off poisons since I feel 'Kevin' may have had one too many poisoned pest suppers.
LOL, maybe Kevin married Izzie
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:09 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Ask agrodiarrhea, I am sure he will ask his mate in Wails and get you the Spanish name of the moth with absolutely no typos.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks do I buy the full roll or do I ask them to cut what I want? There is a swimming pool below surrounded by grass and trees. I am 5 floors up but think the ones in bathroom may be coming through airvent (there is no window) so want to cover that with net and also my bedroom window coz I'm having to sleep with ceiling fan on all night, so if this works it will be better.
What always puzzles me is, if a mozzie can stab (bite) you through any type of clothing, why can't they do it through mozzi net?
Swimming pool if in constant use will not be the source.
Yes, cover air vent with same mesh.
You may have probs with using double sided tape as in the heat the glue tends to soften and with the wind the mesh may disappear. If the frame is wood you can use staples or drawing pins, if other material lots of folks get the mesh stretched onto a frame that can then be attached to window frame.
Mozzie nets for beds are like a tent and usually suspended from the ceiling or purpose made floor based pole, this way you are not near the curtain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.