Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Intending to relocate to Tenerife for 3 months or so...

Intending to relocate to Tenerife for 3 months or so...

Old Jun 17th 2011, 7:39 am
Just Joined

coffee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Intending to relocate to Tenerife for 3 months or so...

Hi!

I've recently become able to work from home for months at a time, so Im interested in taking advantage of this by escaping the UK for a few months for a change of scene. All I need for my work is my computer and a decent internet connection.

Im thinking of the canaries, and think I'd prefer Tenerife. I've been before but didn't explore the island much, but have explored Fuetreventura a couple of times. I think Tenerife is the most varied and interesting of the canary islands, so that's my first choice at the moment.

I've done some reading, but am wondering what the best option would be for a 2 to 3 month stay, with a possible extension if I like it enough. I see 'Long Lets' advertised, but according to my 'tenerife lifeline' book these are usually 1 year+, and look to be aimed at permanent residents. Any 'short lets' I see look to be for holiday makers, and cost several hundred pounds a week, so aren't really practical. Is there a middle ground for stays of 2 - 3 months I should be looking into? It's just for myself living alone ; Im not looking to spend more than 600 to 700 pounds a month, so say 750 euro a month max. I wonder if a hotel will give me a good rate for such a long stay?! In case it matters, Im thinking of coming over around september/october time...

Also, any red tape I need to know about? I've done some digging and think that I don't need to do anything (like register) as long as Im not staying longer than 3 months, can anyone confirm?

Any recommendations on the area? My thoughts so far are that I don't want to be amongst the concrete jungle holiday maker places on the south, but also wan't to be able to drive easily around the island without too much windy road stuff before I get to a main road. I have no spanish skills at all, so probably need to be fairly close to tourist areas, just not deep within them - I'll need some peace to do my work at home so a block of flats surrounded by brits letting their hair down won't help!

Thanks for any advice & help anyone can give!
Old Jun 17th 2011, 8:22 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Intending to relocate to Tenerife for 3 months or so...

As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Jun 17th 2011, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

Nothing wrong with getting a longlet and leaving after 2 or 3 months without financial loss. Nothing the landlord can do about it !!

400 euros per month should get you 2 or 3 bedroomed duplex.

Rent only from Canarians or Spanish. The Brits and other foreigners always overcharge.

Don't worry about the language.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 11:32 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

computer and a decent internet connection in Tenerife for 3 months , you be lucky ... 3 mb is the avg on the island , but if on cable you be lucky , give me a bell and pass on one two people name that on the island you can have a chat with (expats working there )
Jurdy
Old Jun 18th 2011, 3:10 am
Just Joined

coffee is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies,

It sounds like I might need to be close to a large town area so I get a decent internet speed, I've read that people in the more remote areas have problems.

Any suggestions on where to live on the island? I'd need somewhere quite peaceful so I can work at home, but not so far from civilisation that my internet doesn't work!