Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Weighing scales at Malaga?

Weighing scales at Malaga?

Old Mar 22nd 2012, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

stuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nice
Default Weighing scales at Malaga?

Have the Ryanair gestapo been armed with weighing scales at Malaga yet? They have at Liverpool for about a month now, and seem to be enjoying the experience.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 9:34 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weighing scales at Malaga?

Originally Posted by stuart from barnsley
Have the Ryanair gestapo been armed with weighing scales at Malaga yet? They have at Liverpool for about a month now, and seem to be enjoying the experience.
What you need is a "shoplifters coat" then you could put everything in your pockets.....

I think that they get a small bonus for making people check in their hand luggage, so I am sure that they are enjoying the experience.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was Ryanair who hauled me in ....but at Birmingham...en route to Malaga, though! and asked to weigh my hand luggage. It was of course overweight. However when I said I'd got food in there for my lunch etc., she accommodatingly allowed me to remove everything edible, weighed it, accepted it, and I could then pile the food back in
Not sure it answers the question, but it might be an answer to one problem going with Mick'o's lot!
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
I think it was Ryanair who hauled me in ....but at Birmingham...en route to Malaga, though! and asked to weigh my hand luggage. It was of course overweight. However when I said I'd got food in there for my lunch etc., she accommodatingly allowed me to remove everything edible, weighed it, accepted it, and I could then pile the food back in
Not sure it answers the question, but it might be an answer to one problem going with Mick'o's lot!
I had a similar experience in Weeze (germany) except the ryanair gestapo were at the security gate and she simply would not accept that my food (an apple a banana and a sandwich) was not part of my hand luggage. As far as I know she didn't actually have authority to make me throw it away or pay overweight for it. But they seem to get away with murder as the airports fear losing Ryanair. On the other side of security BTW they were charging 4 euros for 250 ml of water. THAT should be illegal!
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
I had a similar experience in Weeze (germany) except the ryanair gestapo were at the security gate and she simply would not accept that my food (an apple a banana and a sandwich) was not part of my hand luggage. As far as I know she didn't actually have authority to make me throw it away or pay overweight for it. But they seem to get away with murder as the airports fear losing Ryanair. On the other side of security BTW they were charging 4 euros for 250 ml of water. THAT should be illegal!
You could have asked for them to put the apple,banana and sandwich in the hold on their own, if the weight of them was causing so much trouble.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
You could have asked for them to put the apple,banana and sandwich in the hold on their own, if the weight of them was causing so much trouble.
I don't really understand what you're saying here. But this woman was adamant! In the end I chucked out the banana which was a bit brown. Ate the sandwich slowly in front of her and put the apple in my pocket. Funnily enough the bag was still slightly overweight but by this time she was a bit irritated and wasn't looking when I weighed it.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Comply with the rules and you should have no problem!
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 7:53 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look for a Dispatches documentary called Ryanair caught Napping for an insight into this outfit, who break every rule in the book (to suit them)
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Comply with the rules and you should have no problem!
I do see what you mean..........however in my case, I was (somewhat) over hand baggage weight but ultimately allowed to carry the entire amount on because the woman at the desk agreed it was food. Why the exception? It is a typical MickO'Mockery. Served me well on the day, true, but .....
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 2:23 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

only last week travelling back from Stansted, along with a number of others, I was stopped by a woman looking and talking like Rosa Klebb. Quite obviously too old and wrinkly to be used on cabin crew, which is why she was cranky.

I was told I couldnt take a carrier bag containing my lunch as well as a bag, seems my bag was 1kg over, so I went to the gents, put on a spare pair of trousers and a jumper and then ate my lunch in front of her.

However, because my bag was overweight she took my boarding pass off me until I got the weight down - is that legal ? ?
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
only last week travelling back from Stansted, along with a number of others, I was stopped by a woman looking and talking like Rosa Klebb. Quite obviously too old and wrinkly to be used on cabin crew, which is why she was cranky.

I was told I couldnt take a carrier bag containing my lunch as well as a bag, seems my bag was 1kg over, so I went to the gents, put on a spare pair of trousers and a jumper and then ate my lunch in front of her.

However, because my bag was overweight she took my boarding pass off me until I got the weight down - is that legal ? ?
Surely if you have paid for the flight she has no right to take the boarding pass off of you.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

To be fair, they do say over and over again passengers can only take one item of hand luggage. Galls me when people try the 'overcoat over the arm, bag slung round the back so it can't be seen' tricks... but lunch? Maybe you could have crammed it in the other bag like I do? Still would possibly have been overweight, just a different gestapo tactic required

I'm guessing it might be legal to take your boarding pass off you because paperwork very often says somewhere within the microprint that it (ie ticketing, paperwork etc) belongs to the carrier. And given you can't (with Mickthemuck's lot) take more than 10kg of hand baggage, if you were over you couldn't travel..... but what do I know
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 6:51 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

This is the Documentary about them.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZkKPirksymQ?version=3&feature=player_detailpage">< param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZkKPirksymQ?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...KPirksymQ#t=5s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ZkKPirksymQ

Last edited by VFR; Mar 23rd 2012 at 6:55 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 10:22 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, they do say over and over again passengers can only take one item of hand luggage. Galls me when people try the 'overcoat over the arm, bag slung round the back so it can't be seen' tricks... but lunch? Maybe you could have crammed it in the other bag like I do? Still would possibly have been overweight, just a different gestapo tactic required

I'm guessing it might be legal to take your boarding pass off you because paperwork very often says somewhere within the microprint that it (ie ticketing, paperwork etc) belongs to the carrier. And given you can't (with Mickthemuck's lot) take more than 10kg of hand baggage, if you were over you couldn't travel..... but what do I know
Fiona, the thing is they are not stopping people from taking the flight, they are demanding £50 to send the bag down to the hold

because of Gestapo tactics many people have now stopped putting a 2nd bag in the hold, especially on my day of travel one guy had his hand luggage weighed at baggage check-in and it was 9.5kg but suddenly made 10.2kg on the second weighin. One guy was in tears, he had to pay £50 because he had a small carrier bag with presents for grandchildren which he couldnt put anywhere else, as it would have broken the presents.
the company has to make its profits on the extras, which may end up with a charge for the toilets to relieve yourself after drinking they rubbish coffee. They have started to charge £10 for the extra legroom seats by the emergency exits and then tell people they are responsible for opening the doors and getting people out.
I believe the air safety people have vetoed the standing only slots.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fiona, the thing is they are not stopping people from taking the flight, they are demanding £50 to send the bag down to the hold

because of Gestapo tactics many people have now stopped putting a 2nd bag in the hold, especially on my day of travel one guy had his hand luggage weighed at baggage check-in and it was 9.5kg but suddenly made 10.2kg on the second weighin. One guy was in tears, he had to pay £50 because he had a small carrier bag with presents for grandchildren which he couldnt put anywhere else, as it would have broken the presents.
the company has to make its profits on the extras, which may end up with a charge for the toilets to relieve yourself after drinking they rubbish coffee. They have started to charge £10 for the extra legroom seats by the emergency exits and then tell people they are responsible for opening the doors and getting people out.
I believe the air safety people have vetoed the standing only slots.
I know all of that and I'm not disagreeing, I'm just saying the rules are there for us all to see before booking/flying.

Me? I'm all for having a 'mass incontinence' on board should they ever decide to charge for the loos.............

(mind you I prefer EZY anyway, but sometimes needs must)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.