Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Weedkiller dilution ?? Help !

Weedkiller dilution ?? Help !

Old Mar 4th 2011, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Pavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant future
Default Weedkiller dilution ?? Help !

I bought some liquid weedkiller recently. I don't understand how much water to mix with the weedkiller as the label is, of course, all in Spanish.
It explains about various types of weeds and then says, for example,
"contra malas hierbas vivaces a dosis 6-10 l/ha" They are presumabley talking about litres of water to a certain measurement of the liquid weedkiller ?
But what is "ha" ??? This is their website.

http://www.terralia.com/vademecum_de...3848&base=2011

Any advice would be very welcome.
Many thanks.
Regards
Pavlo
Old Mar 4th 2011, 9:50 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weedkiller dilution ?? Help !

Originally Posted by Pavlo
I bought some liquid weedkiller recently. I don't understand how much water to mix with the weedkiller as the label is, of course, all in Spanish.
It explains about various types of weeds and then says, for example,
"contra malas hierbas vivaces a dosis 6-10 l/ha" They are presumabley talking about litres of water to a certain measurement of the liquid weedkiller ?
But what is "ha" ??? This is their website.

http://www.terralia.com/vademecum_de...3848&base=2011

Any advice would be very welcome.
Many thanks.
Regards
Pavlo
A farming friend of mine said to put 0.3 of a litre in 10 litres of water. I have a 6 litre spray and I chuck 200 ccs into that.

I always say to people to buy cheap generic glyphosate rather than roundup, as the chems are the same, but the price difference is astounding.

If you hit the wrong plant, wash it off immediately, or cut off the affected part.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Pavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant futurePavlo has a brilliant future

Hi Bil

Very many thanks for the advice.........just what I needed.
I still don't know what "l/ha" means, but I daresay someone does !

Thanks again.
regards
Pavlo
Old Mar 4th 2011, 10:02 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Litres per Hectare (10000 Sq Metres) - not much use unless you have a big sprayer!

I use 150ml in a 5 litre sprayer.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 10:15 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bil

Very many thanks for the advice.........just what I needed.
I still don't know what "l/ha" means, but I daresay someone does !

Thanks again.
regards
Pavlo
As Fred says, litres per hectare. Problem is, that most chems are for industrial use. If you use pesticides (and again for god's sake use generics,) a general guide for confidor, shark and another I can't remember the name of, generally it's 1cc per litre. Dursban is 2ccs per litre.

I have seen people buy confidor in tiny little bottles of 100 ccs and paying 20 euros for it. Confidor per litre is about 90 euros, and Terrasita, which is exactly the same chem is about 25euros for a LITRE.

Do the maths, eh?
Old Mar 4th 2011, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Hi Fred
Many thanks for that info which agrees with what Bil just said.
And I feel better now I know that it's litres per hectare.
I still don't twig why they don't seem to tell you the mixing ratios of water to
liquid on the container label.

But then again, this is Spain !!

Thanks again
Regards
Pavlo
Old Mar 4th 2011, 10:22 am
bil
Banned

Hi Fred
Many thanks for that info which agrees with what Bil just said.
And I feel better now I know that it's litres per hectare.
I still don't twig why they don't seem to tell you the mixing ratios of water to
liquid on the container label.

But then again, this is Spain !!

Thanks again
Regards
Pavlo
They do, it's just that it is seen as being for commercial use. They know that a tractor container will do so many hectares, so the dose is given for that.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bil
As Fred says, litres per hectare. Problem is, that most chems are for industrial use. If you use pesticides (and again for god's sake use generics,) a general guide for confidor, shark and another I can't remember the name of, generally it's 1cc per litre. Dursban is 2ccs per litre.

I have seen people buy confidor in tiny little bottles of 100 ccs and paying 20 euros for it. Confidor per litre is about 90 euros, and Terrasita, which is exactly the same chem is about 25euros for a LITRE.

Do the maths, eh?
Yes they do rip us off if we aren't careful.
I bought a 5 litre container of this concentrated weedkiller from a local farmer's cooperative shop. I seem to remember that it was about €40.
So I hope that was fairly good value for money.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 10:45 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I know this is sort of off topic, well kind of anyway, but there is growing evidence that the dramatic decline in bee populations in Europe and indeed much of the developed world is linked to Confidor, it is suggesting that the use of it is weakening the bees normally vigorous defense against things like the varroa mite. I know many will say "Oh well, I want my weeds killed and its not like I am a major user" but multiply that by a few hundred million worldwide and you have a problem and I don't think many people realise the effect that losing bees will have on their lives, forget peak oil and all that crap...
Old Mar 4th 2011, 4:07 pm
bil
Banned

Yes they do rip us off if we aren't careful.
I bought a 5 litre container of this concentrated weedkiller from a local farmer's cooperative shop. I seem to remember that it was about €40.
So I hope that was fairly good value for money.
I got 5 litres for 25.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 4:12 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I know this is sort of off topic, well kind of anyway, but there is growing evidence that the dramatic decline in bee populations in Europe and indeed much of the developed world is linked to Confidor, it is suggesting that the use of it is weakening the bees normally vigorous defense against things like the varroa mite. I know many will say "Oh well, I want my weeds killed and its not like I am a major user" but multiply that by a few hundred million worldwide and you have a problem and I don't think many people realise the effect that losing bees will have on their lives, forget peak oil and all that crap...
Yeah, always a problem, everything has consequences. I have sodding woolly aphid, and leaf miner, both of which do a lot of damage. If you have anything better against them to avoid using confidor, I'm up for that.

There was a comment by someone who was discussing the importance of bee pollination, and he mentioned that in New Zealand they had to basically move all the beehives to the other side of the island to deal with something, I forget the detils. They expected pollination and fruit crops to take a hammering that year, but oddly they didn't. His explanation was that other insects moved into the gap as it were.

Interestingly there are some treatments that kill bees, not because of the chems they contain, but because it is a dust treatment and the size of the dust particles screws their chitin or wax covering.

Everything is connected, isn't it?