Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

wedding in Spain, getting married in Spain

wedding in Spain, getting married in Spain

Old Jun 3rd 2008, 9:44 am
Just Joined

chantal11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wedding in Spain, getting married in Spain

Hola, still can't find any information on how to organize my daughter's wedding in Spain. If anyone knows any information on where to book a civil ceremony in the Torrevieja area please let me know.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 9:57 am
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: wedding in Spain, getting married in Spain

I think there are some funny rules not sure what they are, but not straight forward.

You can get married in Spain, even if neither of you are Spanish, but it’s complicated. Following is a list of documents that are normally requested:

Application form
Birth Certificate
Proof that both parties are free to marry
Divorce/Annulment Certificate of any previous marriages.
Certificate of Residence. If not a permanent resident in Spain, you can sign an affidavit before a Consular Officer indicating your place of residence for the last 6 years, as well as your temporary residence in Spain.
Posting of Banns (a public declaration of intent to marry)
Certificate of Consular Inscription

Last edited by gallerie9; Jun 3rd 2008 at 10:02 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:14 am

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by chantal11
Hola, still can't find any information on how to organize my daughter's wedding in Spain. If anyone knows any information on where to book a civil ceremony in the Torrevieja area please let me know.
I gave up and got married in Gibraltar it was so much easier. Google getting married in Gibraltar will give you all the info you need if you want to consider this as an option. Also google getting married in Spain, this is how I got my info. Goof Luck
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:28 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chantal11
Look for "getting married in Spain" on Google. The first results are very informative on the general procedure for foreignors. Be prepared for a lot of document-gathering before sending the invitations out - it sounds every bit as complicated as getting married in France!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

digdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud of

hi, i know of a company around the valencia region that do weddings.
nothing to do with me, but pm me if you want the details
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 9:31 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It is very difficult to get married in Spain.

There is some detailed imfo here on the UK Embassy website.

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/ser...=1150455595930

Most people opt for marriage in Gibraltar.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 5:52 am
Just Joined

paula123 is an unknown quantity at this point

bit of advice dont go with celebrations in spain chose another company i got married in may this year had lots problems with them still waiting for our wedding photos!! been 3 months now dont think will get them so be careful they are other wedding companies that will probably be better and cover that area
Old Aug 17th 2008, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Lis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to all

The problem is that each townhall has different requirements re proof of residence. All you can do is visit your local townhall which will have their own list of requirements. I lived in two different towns in Spain, 20 miles apart and requirements were different. Simplest by far is to get married in Gibraltar and have a local blessing and meal somewhere nice near where you live. I´m doing that in three weeks!
Old Aug 17th 2008, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

I arranged my own, it's just a case of getting the paperwork correct, as with everything in Spain. The following is my experience for a Civil Ceremony in Frigiliana.

1. You must have been resident for two years. This normally means having Empadronamiento for two years, however as you have to have a NIE number to purchase a property it is possible to persuade the authorities that you have been resident for longer than the date on your Empadonamiento (We did).

2. You need your original Birth Certificates

3. You need a Certificate of No Impediment. (this comes from your local Registry Office, You are interviewed just as if you were having a Registry Office wedding, they post the “Bans” in the office, and three weeks later issue you both with an individual certificate).

4. If either or both of you have been previously married then you will need Divorce papers. (I presume there is something like a Divorce Certificate, never having been in that situation don’t know)

Note that the Certificate of No Impediment has a time limit of three months and they must be valid when presented to the Authorities.

All English Language Papers need a Legal Spanish Translation. That is that they need to be translated and notarised. The notary has to be acceptable to the Spanish Authorities. The costs for this vary wildly, but I found someone who did it quite cheaply based on a ‘Word’ word count. Mine was £80.

The Birth Certificates, Certificates of No Impediment, and divorce Certificates need to be validated by the attachment of the “Hague Apostile” this is done at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London. Their web site gives the approximate time for postal validations, I found it, at best, optimistic, and details of price (extortionate).They are virtually uncontactable by phone.

With this all in order you can take it to the JP, when the JP (or his Clerk) is satisfied that all is in order, he sends it all to the local Judge (in our case in Torrox). When he is satisfied that all is in order you are summoned to a meeting with him, just like the meeting with the Registrar in step three. Presuming that he is satisfied that all is in order all documents now go to the provincial administration centre(in our case Malaga) for permission to be granted. This is sent to your Spanish address, with a copy to your local Town Hall, and away you go Arrange venue and time with the JP.

It is involved and time consuming but more satisfying than paying someone €400+ costs to do it for you.

It took me just over a year. We planned to marry on Jan 4th however while we received our copy of permission in good time the Town Hall did not receive theirs. It had been sent to Nerja in error. We found out while sat in the departure lounge at Malaga.

We had a delightful wedding in March, just what we wanted. How many have been married by a bloke in a cord jacket and jeans ? (they were his best pair)