Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The way it should be

The way it should be

Old Apr 10th 2013, 6:43 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default The way it should be

This is the essence of entrepreneurialism. This is what it's all about. And it likely couldn't have happened here. He would have faced almost insurmountable hurdles.

Steve Jobs in 1980
Old Apr 10th 2013, 7:16 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The way it should be

I've never got why people gush over Jobs. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Apple products, I have an Apple Mac (Its a bit sick at the mo) but not only is the company hell bent on ripping people off but by all accounts of anyone who ever dealt with him, he was an absolute wanker. Strange really.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 7:21 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

To me the essence of Steve Jobs' greatness, was not the DTP capabilities of the early Macs, nor the iPod nor the iPhone (although they were all fantastic additions to the market). It was the decision, in the mid 90s, to make their new iMac range of computers, in different colours. Up to that point everyone accepted that business computers had to be a shade of grey. He had the ability to see the Emperor had no clothes, when no-one else was able to do so.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 8:42 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I've never got why people gush over Jobs. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Apple products, I have an Apple Mac (Its a bit sick at the mo) but not only is the company hell bent on ripping people off but by all accounts of anyone who ever dealt with him, he was an absolute wanker. Strange really.
Clearly this presentation proves he (and anyone else who manages to become successful) was a self-centered, greedy bastard hell-bent on ripping everyone off.

Remember, all of this was long before anyone had ever seen a "mouse" or a graphical user interface.

I'd be more inclined to characterise him as "visionary". You did watch it, right?

Last edited by amideislas; Apr 11th 2013 at 8:50 am.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 8:46 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Clearly this presentation proves he (and anyone else who manages to become successful) was a self-centered, greedy bastard hell-bent on ripping everyone off.

You did watch it, right?
I did actually but I am not basing my comments on one video.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 9:07 am
Banned

I did actually but I am not basing my comments on one video.
Well, you must be delighted and feel much safer that fewer and fewer people like him are in business.

Seems that the successful ones are mostly day traders and hedge fund managers nowadays, all making far better contributions to society than "wankers" like Steve Jobs.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

This is the essence of entrepreneurialism. This is what it's all about. And it likely couldn't have happened here. He would have faced almost insurmountable hurdles.

Steve Jobs in 1980
Emancio Ortega didnt find insurmountable hurdles, neither did Emilio Botin

Steve Jobs was an excellent designer in a field where nobody had really thought about design before
Old Apr 11th 2013, 9:24 am
Straw Man.

Well, you must be delighted and feel much safer that fewer and fewer people like him are in business.

Seems that the successful ones are mostly day traders and hedge fund managers nowadays, all making far better contributions to society than "wankers" like Steve Jobs.
Woah woah woah, lets just hold on a second. I didn't say anything of the sort. What I said was that the public image of the man and the private one was very different. Many who worked with him closely, including people who had known him for decades painted a very different picture of him. You didn't know him. He wasn't your bessie mate so why are you getting so upset by my comments?
Old Apr 12th 2013, 9:14 am
Banned

Woah woah woah, lets just hold on a second. I didn't say anything of the sort. What I said was that the public image of the man and the private one was very different. Many who worked with him closely, including people who had known him for decades painted a very different picture of him. You didn't know him. He wasn't your bessie mate so why are you getting so upset by my comments?
He apparently was very demanding. I'd argue whether that's qualifies him as "wanker" , "hell bent on ripping everyone off" as you so eloquently asserted.

But I think your views speak for themselves, and don't need any further explanations from me.

Have a nice day!
Old Apr 12th 2013, 9:28 am
Straw Man.

He apparently was very demanding. I'd argue whether that's qualifies him as "wanker" , "hell bent on ripping everyone off" as you so eloquently asserted.

But I think your views speak for themselves, and don't need any further explanations from me.

Have a nice day!
Well if you consider, for a second that an iPhone costs less than a fiver to construct (R&D aside as that always has to happen) yet they cost a minimum of £500 to purchase, how do you see that? I recently purchased a cable for the laptop that cost me 50 quid.... the same cable was at PC world the other day for 11.50.

Do Apple rip people off? As an Apple user and fan I'd have to say yes. Sorry.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

The issue surely is not whether Jobs was a wanker or not, but whether it would be possible for someone with great ideas and an entrepreneurial spirit could succeed in modern Spain?

The odds do seem set against it. It is incredibly difficult to start a small business because of the bureaucracy, the autonomo system and the high costs of employing staff (legally that is).

Then at the point when you are readly to expand, there is the unwillingness of banks to invest in anything vaguely risky. The would-be Jobs would have to resort to a venture capitalist to get funding, who would bleed off his profits and have no long-term commitment.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
The issue surely is not whether Jobs was a wanker or not, but whether it would be possible for someone with great ideas and an entrepreneurial spirit could succeed in modern Spain?

The odds do seem set against it. It is incredibly difficult to start a small business because of the bureaucracy, the autonomo system and the high costs of employing staff (legally that is).

Then at the point when you are readly to expand, there is the unwillingness of banks to invest in anything vaguely risky. The would-be Jobs would have to resort to a venture capitalist to get funding, who would bleed off his profits and have no long-term commitment.
There are plenty of large successful multinational Spanish companies that have been set up in the past 30 years

Currrently there is a lack of financing, but there was only easy credit in Spain for a very short period of time (late 90s to 2007)

Very successful companies are often those that are set up during very difficult times. You dont need to overleverage to attract growth

Here in Oviedo, shops are closing down all the time, but 1 month later a new shop is in its place, together with a very expensive refit and branding. So the money is coming from somewhere. This shop has opened up close to me this week, a Spanish company that is growing rapidly across Northern Spain, the clothing is pretty expensive too http://tiendasleonce.wordpress.com/

Last edited by cricketman; Apr 12th 2013 at 9:55 am.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 10:29 am
Banned

Well if you consider, for a second that an iPhone costs less than a fiver to construct (R&D aside as that always has to happen) yet they cost a minimum of £500 to purchase, how do you see that? I recently purchased a cable for the laptop that cost me 50 quid.... the same cable was at PC world the other day for 11.50.

Do Apple rip people off? As an Apple user and fan I'd have to say yes. Sorry.
Hmm. That's an opinion. But about 20 million others seem to disagree.

Sent by my €150 android phone because I had a choice.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 10:37 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

If it has not already done so Samsung will soon overtake Apple in the sales of competative products, the recent court decisions in favour of Samsung have not done Apple's image any favours.
Remember until the I player came out Apple was in the doldrums its products being part of a niche market. The player was a fantactic marketing job that introduced the name of Apple to a younger generation whe eagerly snapped up its new products almost as fashion accessories. Jobs was marketing genius
, that is the real strength of Apple it is certainly not in designing phones .
Old Apr 12th 2013, 10:52 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca

There are any number of entrepreneurs who are expanding their businesses within and outside of Spain. Of course the well-known examples are Zara and Mango, but if we look at MercaDona and Dia (headed by a Venezuelan woman) they are expanding within Spain. Never heard of Fon? A Madrid enterprise started by the Argentinean Martin Varsavsky that is a huge player world wide in terms of wi-fi routers (if you have a BT wi-fi router in the UK chances are it's provided by Fon). Another wi-fi company, Gowex, is growing fast the world over. 100 Montaditos and Lazarran are expanding worldwide. And there are any number of IT startups (eg Softonic, Akamon, BrainSins, Minube, even directory like Idealista) that are expanding in various countries, not just Spain.

If the question is, "can a new company start up from nothing and become as big as Apple?", then you may have a point. There has only really been 1 company in all of Europe that has made it to the top 10 in the last 40 years, and that was Inditex (Zara)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.