Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

"Is this the way to...(fill in the blank)?"

"Is this the way to...(fill in the blank)?"

Old Apr 7th 2006, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Is this the way to...(fill in the blank)?"

Hola,
I'm looking for information (scenic routes, hotels/hostals, local history) from anyone who has travelled by car through Spain. Specifically, from Madrid to Ayamonte (Huelva), taking in either Cordoba, or Extremadura en route. And, in the Summer.
Regards,
Carol
Old Apr 7th 2006, 9:14 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: "Is this the way to...(fill in the blank)?"

Hi Carol and John...Cannot help a great deal, but just to say that if you are heading past Seville, Carmona is very pretty and a nice break. We just drove in on spec and got a balcony room for the price of a non balcony at the Parador. Well worth it, and the pool is superb!! Try the food at the museum in town, not difficult to find. Delicious. Nearer Huelva if you are near Palos de la Frontera try El Bodegon in the main street. A Spanish friend took me there and the food is all organic and delicious. Four of us ate very well and had a nice Rioja for Eu70..Please share the details of your trip once you have done it ....I hear Cordoba is wonderful, and friends also like Toledo.
Old Apr 7th 2006, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Poollounger! Looking forward to trying some of the Condenado (d.o.) Huelva wines - easy to see who's not driving! Carmona and Palos are a definite yes, for the food and the Cristobal Colon connection. Anyone been to see the museum/ship?
Carol
Old Apr 7th 2006, 10:29 pm

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Thanks Poollounger! Looking forward to trying some of the Condenado (d.o.) Huelva wines - easy to see who's not driving! Carmona and Palos are a definite yes, for the food and the Cristobal Colon connection. Anyone been to see the museum/ship?
Carol
I did before the nosh up in Palos. It was a blustery cold wet day in February, and we were woefully underdressed. Its worth spending an hour or two there...what surprised me was the size of the ships..they were small, and I was expecting something more like the Cutty Sark. More respect for their achievement. You are seemingly more of a wine buff than I am..if its good and I like it that's enough for me. I shall definitely head to Palos again when I am there for the food!

Last edited by poollounger; Apr 7th 2006 at 10:32 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi,
Oh no, not a wine buff, very amateur, especially when I've written "condenado" de Huelva (big mistake, meaning "condemned"!) Should be "condado" de Huelva. (Sorry, Huelva!) I'd like to try a "Privilegio del Condado", a white wine. I enjoy trying food from a region, and once stopped overnight at the parador in Almagro (La Mancha) when they had a culinary display of the region's food. Yummy.
Carol
Old Apr 8th 2006, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Hi,
Oh no, not a wine buff, very amateur, especially when I've written "condenado" de Huelva (big mistake, meaning "condemned"!) Should be "condado" de Huelva. (Sorry, Huelva!) I'd like to try a "Privilegio del Condado", a white wine. I enjoy trying food from a region, and once stopped overnight at the parador in Almagro (La Mancha) when they had a culinary display of the region's food. Yummy.
Carol
Well the museum restaurant in Carmona had Chipirones...think that's the correct spelling..the little stuffed squid, not often seen. And came across the receipt for the place in Palos. We had fillets of veal and pork...I remember my Spanish friends assuring me it was beef, when the veal was nothing like beef !